ACN Latitudes Forums

Short Term Anxiety - Shots

Hi all - need some advice. Meg is nearly 99% now - no real OCD left. Maybe 1 compulsion per day, but very habit based, not at all stressful. She is doing well at school & at home - much less hyper, better focus, no nighttime issues, no clothing issues, etc. She is very happy and talks about it all the time.

Anyway, at this point, our big residual problem is around blood draws. Meg had 2 horrendous experiences during PANDAS (one time a newbie yanked half the thing out & blood went everywhere - all over both of us. The next time, an evil nurse threatened to "hold her down" because she yanked her arm just one time. Meg had claustropbia along with everything else at the time, so not good.) Anyway, we have been trying to get a blood draw from her for 2 months now. We went to therapy about it - her therapist does not think it is OCD/PANDAS, and neither do I. It is clearly anxiety & also just that Meg has put her foot down (I don't really blame her!).

We did therapy for her on this issue over the last month - tons of practice at home & found an awesome nurse who has also been taking it step by step with her. Well, today should have finally been a full vial. And Meg went backwards and refused to do the draw. Needless to say, I am VERY frustrated. Whew, I swear, I have the patience of Job when we are in a PANDAS episode - but this will drive me nutty :) . I think we should medicate her for the next draw, so she can be successful and start building her confidence about this. I tried Benedryl and Motrin today, and that did not touch it. Any recos? I want to call her ped in the morning & I know it will be better if I have a specific request. I am thinking of something like a kid valium?

Would love some ideas! Thanks -

Guest Angela Shaw
Hi all - need some advice. Meg is nearly 99% now - no real OCD left. Maybe 1 compulsion per day, but very habit based, not at all stressful. She is doing well at school & at home - much less hyper, better focus, no nighttime issues, no clothing issues, etc. She is very happy and talks about it all the time.

Anyway, at this point, our big residual problem is around blood draws. Meg had 2 horrendous experiences during PANDAS (one time a newbie yanked half the thing out & blood went everywhere - all over both of us. The next time, an evil nurse threatened to "hold her down" because she yanked her arm just one time. Meg had claustropbia along with everything else at the time, so not good.) Anyway, we have been trying to get a blood draw from her for 2 months now. We went to therapy about it - her therapist does not think it is OCD/PANDAS, and neither do I. It is clearly anxiety & also just that Meg has put her foot down (I don't really blame her!).

We did therapy for her on this issue over the last month - tons of practice at home & found an awesome nurse who has also been taking it step by step with her. Well, today should have finally been a full vial. And Meg went backwards and refused to do the draw. Needless to say, I am VERY frustrated. Whew, I swear, I have the patience of Job when we are in a PANDAS episode - but this will drive me nutty :) . I think we should medicate her for the next draw, so she can be successful and start building her confidence about this. I tried Benedryl and Motrin today, and that did not touch it. Any recos? I want to call her ped in the morning & I know it will be better if I have a specific request. I am thinking of something like a kid valium?

My 13 yo daughter had two bad experiences with blood draws. Though she wanted to do the next one to please me, (this was 3 years after the bad exp) she just couldn't bring herself to do it. She tried and then could not. Her anxiety was just too high...and got higher as the nurse dilly dallied and wasted time. I ended up getting her a sedative from our doctor and also some cream that numbs the arm. I also went to a lab where the people who draw are VERY experienced with children and who draw blood as a career. Those 3 things made a HUGE difference. The lady was quick and precise and I told her about dd's previous difficulty. She was sweet about the whole thing and didn't drag it out, which makes it worse. Dd is now not afraid if she will have to do it again, though she would want the numbing cream again. It was worth going that route for us, so she had one good experience. Good luck.

I know what to recommend!! We used it while in the hosp for PEX. It is called Verced. I don't know how to spell it but that is how they all pronounced it. We did it IV but I would imagine you oculd do it orally. It did take away a lot anxiety for DD but not enough around the poke and the removal of the pokes. However, I would say that if your daughter is at 99% right now, this would likely do the trick for you. I think it was because we were at 0% that we still had issues with those points. Because it did reduce anxiety quite well in other areas.

Good luck!!!

We did therapy for her on this issue over the last month - tons of practice at home & found an awesome nurse who has also been taking it step by step with her. Well, today should have finally been a full vial. And Meg went backwards and refused to do the draw. Needless to say, I am VERY frustrated. Whew, I swear, I have the patience of Job when we are in a PANDAS episode - but this will drive me nutty :wacko: . I think we should medicate her for the next draw, so she can be successful and start building her confidence about this. I tried Benedryl and Motrin today, and that did not touch it. Any recos? I want to call her ped in the morning & I know it will be better if I have a specific request. I am thinking of something like a kid valium?

Hi, My mom had sent me this link and was going to order this product for my son if we had to go the IVIG route or many more blood draws. It is called "Buzzy for Blood draws". I think the site says they are not readily available until 1/2010 but they say if you have special circumstances they might be able to help you earlier. Here is the link.

http://www.needle-pain-management.com/buzz...lood-draws.html

Would love to know, if you decide to try it, if it helps you dtr.

Debby

We do diazepam (generic valium) for blood draws, and her dentist always prescribes it before a visit as well. It doesn't even make her dopey, just takes the edge off her anxiety. Well, high dose makes her dopey (30mg). We usually just give her 5mg, but sometimes it takes 10.

Peglem, are there any adverse effects with that?

I just spoke with our ped about doing verced for tomorrow. It is considered somewhat an anesthetic drug and therfore I don't think you can just get it from target and go to your lab. Our ped thought there was a possibility but it isn't as simple as abx.

I would love to use something tomorrow as well so would love to know if there is any other option that hasn't caused adverse effects.

Peglem, are there any adverse effects with that?

I just spoke with our ped about doing verced for tomorrow. It is considered somewhat an anesthetic drug and therfore I don't think you can just get it from target and go to your lab. Our ped thought there was a possibility but it isn't as simple as abx.

I would love to use something tomorrow as well so would love to know if there is any other option that hasn't caused adverse effects.

My daughter has not had any adverse effects. Sometimes she'll get a headache when its wearing off, especially at the higher doses, but motrin works for that.

A few years ago, Allie's pediatrician prescribed it for us on an "as needed" basis. He started w/ 2mg dosing (which is standard for her weight at that time), but that was like a sugar pill for her. So he agreed to up it to 5mg. I was so hesitant at 1st to give it very often, and still am, but balanced against her suffering the extreme anxiety...I'm not as stingy with it as I used to be.

Meg's mom- Julia, and her sister, both have lots of anxiety about blood draws. Once we started using the prescription numbing creme- it was a lot better for Julia (for her it was more about the pain). It hasn't helped her sister as much, she reacts less about the pain, and more about overall medical anxieties.

The other thought, was that we ordered the IVIG bear from Baxter for Julia before she went for pex. It comes with a cute stuffed bear, and lots of medical supplies, including all you would need for the blood draw (alcohol wipe, rubber gloves, rubber tournequet, etc) Julia loved it, and played with it for a week straight pre op, and a week straight post op. I know she is quite a bit younger than Meg, but it was great therapy. If you think it would be helpful, you might even be able to put together your own kit with help from the doc's supply closet.

You can do this- you have gotten through everything else. Its no wonder these kids are left with some anxiety, we end up poking and prodding them so much when they are at their worst of times :mellow:

Thanks all - I called and asked for something like the medicines you suggested - they ended up prescribing Atarax, which I just picked up. We go again today at 3, so cross your fingers out there! I am a little nervous about how much to give - it says 1-2 teaspoons. This will be our first try, and I don't want her to be knocked out, just to take the edge off, so I am thinking I'll start with 1 tsp.

We have been using the Emla cream, but while the anxiety is about pain, that doesn't seem to help her anxiety. We have practiced & practiced at home, but she breaks down when she sees the nurse with the needle. I found out recently that it only takes about 3 months to get qualified to do blood draws, so if this continues to be an issue, I may be heading back to school at night!!!

I had to do a blood draw myself this week & I will say that it does hurt a little in the vein. I'm not very sensitive, but she is - and she has to do 11 vials of blood. I'll be happy if she gets one done today.

Thanks again -