ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin Dose

Guest Angela Shaw

Guest Angela Shaw

I see our family physician again tomorrow. It will have been ten days since dd began Augmentin xr. She is 90 lbs and is on 500mg twice per day. There is no big change in Lilly's ocd at this point, though she has been willing and able to tackle teeth brushing the last 3 days. Sammy Maloney in the end was on 1000mg twice per day.

I'd like to be able to take our doctor some other examples of what worked for other people's children. I really need to decided soon if I am going to try to stay working withour doctor who has never dealt with PANDAS before or whether I am going to take my dd to Boston to see Dr. Geller, which is $2000 out of pocket just to get started. While this won't make us lose our house or anything, it will make life more difficult for a while.

Working with our family doctor would be MUCH cheaper. I plan to see what she has to say tomorrow and see how far she is willing to go to treat Lilly for this. I would happily pay to have her consult with Dr. Geller which is $250 for half an hour.

I would like to take her some other examples of how much augmentin has worked for other kids. I know it is an individual thing but the more examples the better.

So, please state weight, age, and dosage that helped..and how long they had to be on it.

Thanks.

Angela Shaw

I see our family physician again tomorrow. It will have been ten days since dd began Augmentin xr. She is 90 lbs and is on 500mg twice per day. There is no big change in Lilly's ocd at this point, though she has been willing and able to tackle teeth brushing the last 3 days. Sammy Maloney in the end was on 1000mg twice per day.

I'd like to be able to take our doctor some other examples of what worked for other people's children. I really need to decided soon if I am going to try to stay working withour doctor who has never dealt with PANDAS before or whether I am going to take my dd to Boston to see Dr. Geller, which is $2000 out of pocket just to get started. While this won't make us lose our house or anything, it will make life more difficult for a while.

Working with our family doctor would be MUCH cheaper. I plan to see what she has to say tomorrow and see how far she is willing to go to treat Lilly for this. I would happily pay to have her consult with Dr. Geller which is $250 for half an hour.

I would like to take her some other examples of how much augmentin has worked for other kids. I know it is an individual thing but the more examples the better.

So, please state weight, age, and dosage that helped..and how long they had to be on it.

Thanks.

Angela Shaw

Hi Angela, My son is 87 lbs, 11 years old. We saw some improvements in his mood, attention and rages at an initial does of Augmentin 500 mg 2x/day. We saw even greater improvements in the symptoms already mentioned on 875mg Augmentin 2X/day. His vocal tic also went away on the higher dose (until his sister got pink eye.....and now we are back where we started with regard to most symptoms). Hope that helps. Debby

Guest Angela Shaw
Hi Angela, My son is 87 lbs, 11 years old. We saw some improvements in his mood, attention and rages at an initial does of Augmentin 500 mg 2x/day. We saw even greater improvements in the symptoms already mentioned on 875mg Augmentin 2X/day. His vocal tic also went away on the higher dose (until his sister got pink eye.....and now we are back where we started with regard to most symptoms). Hope that helps. Debby

Thanks Debby. It does help. The more info I go in with, the better, I think. How long was he on the 500mg twice a day before the dosage was raised?

Angela

My daughter 17yo 120lbs was started about a month ago on 500 twice daily by Dr

Latimer along with a 5 week steroid treatment. Definate improvement but uncertain if it was the steroids or Augmentin. Some backsliding this week with cessation of steroids and probable H1N1 on Thursday. I will continue with this dose for now but plan on increasing next month to 875 bid if no improvement.

Ellie

Thanks Debby. It does help. The more info I go in with, the better, I think. How long was he on the 500mg twice a day before the dosage was raised?

Angela

He was on the lower dose for about 5 weeks. The reason he started the lower dose was because he had a sinus infection. However, he had extreme behavior the day before we found out he had a sinus infection so the psych increased his Abilify the day before stating the antibitotic. At the time I was just learning about PANDAS. When we began seeing improvements I felt it was too soon to attribute the improvements to the Abilify since that takes several weeks to start showing improvements...but was still not sure it was the antibiotics. I talked about it with our pediatrician and she agreed to extend the antibitoics until our appointment with Dr Latimer. When we saw Dr L she increased the antibiotics to the current dose. When we saw the improvements after the doseage increased I was positive the initial improvements were from the first antibiotic and not the increase in Abilify. Hope that makes sense.