ACN Latitudes Forums

Any suggestions for swallowing pills?

My son is 12 (in 2 weeks) and he cannot swallow pills. I read or heard somewhere that one of the symptoms of PANDAS can be a fear of choking. I have read some articles with tips on swallowing pills. One time I was able to get him to swallow a fish oil capsule, but after that he was too afraid and would gag.

We tried practicing with a favorite drink that I don't buy for home like sprite, we used tic tacs.

He just can't do it.

I would like to switch my son to the Augmentin XR, but it only comes in a pill form.

Can anyone tell me their tricks for teaching their kids to swallow a pill?

Thank you...

Judy...

My daughter did not learn how to swallow pills until she was 11. We started by chasing liquid meds (given in a syringe) with 2 syringes of water. Then we convinced her that if she took the pill instead, it wouldn't taste as yucky. Once she was willing to try (and she was scared), we started chasing pills with 2 syringes of water. This is still how we give meds. She's a real pro now, even gigantic pills go down pretty easily! I think the squirting the water (slowly) into the mouth helps to move the pill in the right direction. That's what worked for us- your mileage may vary.

Hey Judy!

It is soooo nice once they can swallow pills! We practiced with tic tacs as you mentioned. I would break them at first. One trick I learned was to have him drink the liquid to get it down with through a straw. The straw made all the difference here. Have him throw the tic tac to the back of his mouth and then immediately start drinking from the straw. Not just a sip or two but a few good swallows. All of a sudden they will be amazed when the tic tac is down the hatch! Hope this helps! I'll talk to you soon - Hang in there!

DeAnn

My son is 12 (in 2 weeks) and he cannot swallow pills. I read or heard somewhere that one of the symptoms of PANDAS can be a fear of choking. I have read some articles with tips on swallowing pills. One time I was able to get him to swallow a fish oil capsule, but after that he was too afraid and would gag.

We tried practicing with a favorite drink that I don't buy for home like sprite, we used tic tacs.

He just can't do it.

I would like to switch my son to the Augmentin XR, but it only comes in a pill form.

Thank you...

Judy...

I dont know how big these pills are but we learned by loading pills into a straw kinof like a spit ball and when he sucks in down it went Its been a long time but try it also Im sure others have told yo to hide it in applesauce or something good luck

He just can't do it.

Thank you...

Judy...

What about placing it is a teaspoon of cream cheese? Or can it be crushed and put in applesauce?

I'm 36 and I still can't swallow pills... :angry: I just ask the dr if I can chew it, and they always say yes. LOL! but don't tell my kids that....I'm determined that they will be able to do it!

Although, I'm pretty sure, your not supposed to chew exteneded medications...it can get into your system too quickly.

My husband has been teaching the kids with M&Ms. If they swallow a coulple, then they get to eat a couple. Becca takes liquid pen vk, and she is a trooper about it because it isn't very nice...I'm hoping that by the time she needs to be at 250mg, she can just take the pill...traveling with liquid that must be kept cold is an inconvenience.

My girlfriend also put small allergy pills in the bottom of a straw, and let her daughter suck it up until she got used to the sensation.

The way I always took them and now it works for my DD is to fill her mouth with water and then drop in the pills. She fills her mouth and then turns her head up and opens her mouth. I drop the pills in and she swallows. Since it never touches her tongue, she doesn't have a problem with it. Most of the time she doesn't even feel it.

Melanie

Have the child eat something dry, like a cracker... and chew to the point they would normally swallow and then put the pill in with the chewed food and swallow it together. Sometimes a drink of water during/immediately afterward helps as well. Pixie has been swallowing pills like this since she was 4 with no problems. Some of the antibiotics can be crushed or come in liquid, but you would NOT want to do this with any extended release pills, so make sure you ask BOTH the doctor and the pharmacist to double check on any meds you can't swallow.

We do something similar. I taught my son (8) to swallow pills a couple months ago and I was shocked that he did it, but now he'll swallow BIG probiotic pills without a problem. He takes a big mouthful of juice then pushed the pill in between his lips, then swishes and swallows.

The way I always took them and now it works for my DD is to fill her mouth with water and then drop in the pills. She fills her mouth and then turns her head up and opens her mouth. I drop the pills in and she swallows. Since it never touches her tongue, she doesn't have a problem with it. Most of the time she doesn't even feel it.

Melanie