ACN Latitudes Forums

Do your kids have bad necks?

dabel

This may sound silly but I am wondering if any of your kids have bad necks? My son's neck is horrible at times. We have even taken him for an MRI just to make sure there wasn't anything major wrong. There wasn't but it sure bothers him. We take him to the chiropractor etc. We have noticed in the past that there seemed to be a correlation with his neck and behavior. This was before we knew anything about PANDAS. This last week my mom took him to the chiropractor and told him that my son has PANDAS. He said he was not familiar with it but guaranteed my mother that it has something to do with brain inflamation based on what he sees. What the heck? The top two vertebrae are usually the culprit. I know one other mother that I spoke to said her son has a bad neck too. Just checking to see if others see this also.

DeAnn

What do you mean by a "bad neck"?

My son used to get neck pain as a result of a neck tic. Then later evolved to neck pain that triggered his neck tie.

Pat

Sorry I am new to this whole forum thing. I suppose I should clarify. I mean his neck hurts and it causes headaches, etc. He does not have tics though.

DeAnn

My dd gets roving pain and has trouble with her legs, feet and ankles and no one can every figure out what is wrong. Sometimes it's her back but so far (knock on wood) it's never been her neck. We see a chiropractor too and find that it is helpful.

Susan

Susan, roving joint pain can be an indication of Rheumatic Fever. Have you tested White Blood Cell Count, Red Blood Cell Count, Lymphocyte subset panel: To see if they are fighting an underlying infection? Only 60% of individuals with RF have heart related issues..... so, not necessarily diagnostic tool.

-Wendy

My dd gets roving pain and has trouble with her legs, feet and ankles and no one can every figure out what is wrong. Sometimes it's her back but so far (knock on wood) it's never been her neck. We see a chiropractor too and find that it is helpful.

Susan

Susan, roving joint pain can be an indication of Rheumatic Fever. Have you tested White Blood Cell Count, Red Blood Cell Count, Lymphocyte subset panel: To see if they are fighting an underlying infection? Only 60% of individuals with RF have heart related issues..... so, not necessarily diagnostic tool.

-Wendy

She has been seen for RF but at that time they did not have any tests done. She has had a CBC done when she got her appendix out and her immunologist just had it done too (but I don't know the results). The CBC shows blood cell count right? I was freaked about rheumatic fever in September when she couldn't walk and ended up getting her appenxid out.

Susan

Her not being able to walk is definitely an indication. I would pursue the possibility: Initially our son's friends ESR was elevated (after 3 months post initial illness it may not be elevated), C-reactive proteins elevated, plus Anti-DNAse-B of 680. I understand that once the infection has been lingering for a while: Red Blood Cells and White Blood Cells tend to be low.

"Streptolysins can destroy not only red blood cells, but also the white blood cells responsible for fighting off bacteria and disease, as well as other body cells.[2]"

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5897

Do you remember any illness when she ran a high fever, positive for strep, peeling hands and palms, swollen gland, sometimes a body rash? I'm also interested what the Dr.'s reported regarding her appendix as Abdominal Pain is common in RF.

See list: http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5896

-Wendy

-Wendy

She has been seen for RF but at that time they did not have any tests done. She has had a CBC done when she got her appendix out and her immunologist just had it done too (but I don't know the results). The CBC shows blood cell count right? I was freaked about rheumatic fever in September when she couldn't walk and ended up getting her appenxid out.

Susan

Her not being able to walk is definitely an indication. I would pursue the possibility: Initially our son's friends ESR was elevated (after 3 months post initial illness it may not be elevated), C-reactive proteins elevated, plus Anti-DNAse-B of 680. I understand that once the infection has been lingering for a while: Red Blood Cells and White Blood Cells tend to be low.

"Streptolysins can destroy not only red blood cells, but also the white blood cells responsible for fighting off bacteria and disease, as well as other body cells.[2]"

Do you remember any illness when she ran a high fever, positive for strep, peeling hands and palms, swollen gland, sometimes a body rash? I'm also interested what the Dr.'s reported regarding her appendix as Abdominal Pain is common in RF.

-Wendy

Well, she did have the flu (confirmed) in March of this year where she got a fever of 103 at least. No peeling or swollen glands or body rash. Throughout her life, she has had fevers and tons of rashes. She used to get a rash every time she was sick it seemed. Nothing as drastic as the picture in the link but she would get fine red rashes on her torso. She has never had any peeling skin. Right now she has some very itchy pimple bumps on her legs (front of her thighs and back of her knee). I think they look like DH associated with Celiac. I have been looking up impetigo today but they never get the yellow crust. They become a huge pimple and then pop open and turn into a purple mark. She was covered in these last year (around the time that she had undiagnosed strep but was also still on gluten. They went away after going gluten free). Needless to say we are very worried about this right now.

Regarding her appendix, they said it showed early signs of inflamation that would be consistent with appendicitis.

I hope to have more info after our appt on the 23rd. I'll ask for all of her test results.

Susan

Keep me posted as I'm highly suspect with the joint pain, hardly walk and abdominal pain. We are also heading down that path with both our children and our son's friend. The only plus is treatment is more likely covered by your insurance and maybe higher dose antibiotic for longer term in conjunction with IVIG. I'll be talking with Dr. K more extensively next week about it all when our son receives IVIG.

-Wendy

-Wendy

Well, she did have the flu (confirmed) in March of this year where she got a fever of 103 at least. No peeling or swollen glands or body rash. Throughout her life, she has had fevers and tons of rashes. She used to get a rash every time she was sick it seemed. Nothing as drastic as the picture in the link but she would get fine red rashes on her torso. She has never had any peeling skin. Right now she has some very itchy pimple bumps on her legs (front of her thighs and back of her knee). I think they look like DH associated with Celiac. I have been looking up impetigo today but they never get the yellow crust. They become a huge pimple and then pop open and turn into a purple mark. She was covered in these last year (around the time that she had undiagnosed strep but was also still on gluten. They went away after going gluten free). Needless to say we are very worried about this right now.

Regarding her appendix, they said it showed early signs of inflamation that would be consistent with appendicitis.

I hope to have more info after our appt on the 23rd. I'll ask for all of her test results.

Susan

Hi. My ds has neck pain from time to time. We had thought it was from tics in the past (his motor tics have been better but am afraid about to come back thats another story)but he has started to mention the neck pain again. When he was sick with a high fever back in Sept and he also had this excruciating pain in his legs lower legs like the calf area. He was in tears. We brought him to the px. They did some blood work. Cannot remember everything, but I do remember that ESR I think that someone had mentioned. The px said it was the highest he had seen. I was alarmed to hear it. Then he said it was common post infection and the levels will go down in a few days for him a little longer than normal because it was so high. We rechecked the levels a week or so later they were down.

I will be watching for more mention of the neck pain. Let me know if you find out something. Thanx.