ACN Latitudes Forums

What do you think of this doctor?

mar

I found a ND today and spoke to someone in their office. They said they will do an evaluation on him and see if their is any teating he needs. When I mentioned IGg testing they said that the test is not accurate and they will see when he comes in.

This is the first doctor I will be seeing in regards to his issues (tic,ocd,axiety). I hope I find the right doctor.

My main question is how do I tell my son about all this. When he hears me talking to the doctor and telling her all these things that are wrong I think it will make him 100 times worst. He has been saying this past month that he's fine and that nothing is bothering him everytime I look at him or question something. Though I do feel he has let up a little but I fear that he is going to think that I see many things wrong and he will get more anxious. I know he wants to tell me but still fears something.

How do I talk to him about this before the doctors???????

mar,

whenever I go to any type doctor concerning my sons issues with tics, I never talk to the doctor with my son there at first. when you have your initial consult, you can go in by yourself and have your son waith in the waiting room, brings someone with you if he won't want to stay alone. I think you should be able to talk about your concerns and then have your son come in to meet the doctor for any observation. When my son was younger, I didn't want him to hear all my concerns, for just the reasons you state, you don't want them to think and worry that something is wrong with them. I would tell him we were just going to the doctor for a check up or the doctor had to check him to make sure he's getting enough vitamins, or whatever benign excuse I could think of. My son is now 10 and sometimes I am able to tell him we are going to someone who might be able to help with his tics, he doesn't call them tics, but always used the word "problems", not suggesting you use that, but that's what my son called them so it stuck, actually we cay "little problems". but anyway, we went to a chiropractor for a couple of months and I told him that we just want to make sure his spine and bones are healthy and maybe it would make him feel better. when they are young, the less they know the better, but as they get older, you will be able to get a sense of what they can handle and how much they need to know.

But my advice would be to ask to speak to the doctor first without him in the room. I've done this with the neurologist and even the dentist when I would want to mention or give them a heads up that my son has some tics and not to say anything about it in front of him. Just explain you don't want to worry him or make him self-concious. I know my son does not like me to mention his issues to anyone, he even gets mad at me if he hears me discussing the common issues of our kids with my friends or other moms.

good luck,

Faith

mar,

whenever I go to any type doctor concerning my sons issues with tics, I never talk to the doctor with my son there at first. when you have your initial consult, you can go in by yourself and have your son waith in the waiting room, brings someone with you if he won't want to stay alone. I think you should be able to talk about your concerns and then have your son come in to meet the doctor for any observation. When my son was younger, I didn't want him to hear all my concerns, for just the reasons you state, you don't want them to think and worry that something is wrong with them. I would tell him we were just going to the doctor for a check up or the doctor had to check him to make sure he's getting enough vitamins, or whatever benign excuse I could think of. My son is now 10 and sometimes I am able to tell him we are going to someone who might be able to help with his tics, he doesn't call them tics, but always used the word "problems", not suggesting you use that, but that's what my son called them so it stuck, actually we cay "little problems". but anyway, we went to a chiropractor for a couple of months and I told him that we just want to make sure his spine and bones are healthy and maybe it would make him feel better. when they are young, the less they know the better, but as they get older, you will be able to get a sense of what they can handle and how much they need to know.

But my advice would be to ask to speak to the doctor first without him in the room. I've done this with the neurologist and even the dentist when I would want to mention or give them a heads up that my son has some tics and not to say anything about it in front of him. Just explain you don't want to worry him or make him self-concious. I know my son does not like me to mention his issues to anyone, he even gets mad at me if he hears me discussing the common issues of our kids with my friends or other moms.

good luck,

Faith

Thank you for your ideas. Yes there is no way I want him in the room. He is too young and it would tear him apart. I will have to call the doctor and tell her if she is willing to do this.

This doctor is a Naturopathic Physician. Should I be starting wit ha neurologist instead?

Hi mar

yes I agree with Faith on having your son outside at first (maybe a friend or family member can accompany you?) and then when ready the doc can bring him in for evaluation

personally I think that Neuro's are not much help...they are ok if you need a definitive diagnosis or if you want to get medications but only rarely do they have any knowledge about the other things that can trigger tics not on the ways to also treat via natural/alternative ways

hopefully this naturopath will be up to date on testing and treatments for tics

I do think its good to have your son evaluated by a pediatric neurologist, since this is a neurological issue. you never know, you may find one to be helpful, and you want to rule out other possible causes. Also, its good to have a medical doctor on your team in case you should want to ask for any kind of blood tests or get other recommendations.

Faith

Hi mar

yes I agree with Faith on having your son outside at first (maybe a friend or family member can accompany you?) and then when ready the doc can bring him in for evaluation

personally I think that Neuro's are not much help...they are ok if you need a definitive diagnosis or if you want to get medications but only rarely do they have any knowledge about the other things that can trigger tics not on the ways to also treat via natural/alternative ways

hopefully this naturopath will be up to date on testing and treatments for tics

Thank you for your and Faith's responses. I was thinking the same thing in regards to that this is not the best doctor to start with. I will keep digging for a neurologist. It seems like that is where to start. I feel like I don't know what I'm doing and I have twenty things going through my head at once. Thank you so much for your feedback!!!

san,

yes, for official diagnosis for school purposes, it does have to be from a medical doctor, neurologist, or a pediatric psychiatrist/psychologist. Even if you don't know for sure what the exact diagnosis is, for school purposes in order to get services or 504, a letter from the neuro briefly stating the diagnosis is sufficient. Ours just said "xxx is an 8 yr old boy diagnosed with tics/ocd/anxiety." and that having accomodations such as extra time and preferential seating is medically necessary. they are used to giving out these letters, so I'm sure they will know how to word it. it's private and confidential and only for school files, so whatever the letter states is for your child's benefit.

Faith