ACN Latitudes Forums

Rubbing Lips tic

mar

Hello

Does anyone know how I could help my son with his lips. He goes through this tic where he is constantly rubbing his arm against his lips. They get red and chapped. It looks like he has an outline of another set of lips all around. I know he can't stop rubbing them but is there anything I can do to help him. Once they start chapping they hurt. I put aquaphor on that helps. But I have nothinh to give him for school. Any relief techniques would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Mar

this is a fairly common tic

best you can do is to keep the lip soothed. aquaphor is good.

we used to use a chamomile teabag that had been wet in lukewarm water. very soothing

is he taking epsom salts baths to help relax tics?

Hi Mar

we used to use a chamomile teabag that had been wet in lukewarm water. very soothing

I have given him a a teaspoon of it in water and he dips his feet in there for 15 min. He liked it the first time and it did calm him when he was sitting (since he actually voleentered to read his school book). I tried it yesterday but he didn't want to do it since dh had the TV on. Maybe that doesnt work as good as the bath would. I guess I wanted to try the feet first before I put him in the bath with the salt. But I will definetly try the tea bags! Thanks!

mar, a teaspoon in a footbath is not really enough...it would require about 1/2 cup (my son uses 1 cup) per footbath and 2 cups in a tub

my son often uses the footbath while watching TV. we have one of those Homedic ones from Target that also have the vibrate function, which he finds real soothing

once your son realizes how the epsom salts calms tics and promotes good sleep, he will likely even start asking for it!

mar, a teaspoon in a footbath is not really enough...it would require about 1/2 cup (my son uses 1 cup) per footbath and 2 cups in a tub

my son often uses the footbath while watching TV. we have one of those Homedic ones from Target that also have the vibrate function, which he finds real soothing

once your son realizes how the epsom salts calms tics and promotes good sleep, he will likely even start asking for it!

We also have one of the vibrating ones. I forgot about that. I will try more salt today with that Homedic foot bath.

Thanks!

Hi Mar

Just want to thank you for the advice on the chamomile tea bag. He came home in so much pain from school on the verge of tears. I tried the tea bag and it was like a miracle. I told him to breath it in while on his lips and he loves it and said it helps!!! Then he asked me with those baby blue eyes what could help him stop opening his mouth... and I said that it was ok and that it won;t make his lips worse. Those times really hurt when you know there is nothing you could do. Once again thanks for helping me put a smile on his face and him now knowing that I could help with certain things!!

Oh Mar I am so pleased to hear that!

I know how it used to help my son too so am thankful to hear it soothed your little guy :)

my son still likes to drink chamomile tea as well...sometimes plain and sometimes with a little honey. It has a tremendously calming effect

I use it as a skin lotion and when we have made tea I dab the tea bags under my eyes, around face, neck etc

blessings and hope you have a peaceful weekend and that this tic passes soon