ACN Latitudes Forums

reading

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

HOw many of you have noticed an increase in tics when your kids read a story book (with lot of interest)... I have noticed that my son tends to tic a bit more when he does intense reading.. (especially eye rolling, blinking tics and very rarely vocal) is it common??

any suggestions or clues to reduce this??

Chemar, thanks for your response on antioxidants on the other thread. would wait for your elaborate post on that.. I thought green vegetables also were good antioxidants. also read that garlic is a very good antioxidant - am i right?

thanks

Guest Guest_efgh

Jean

Which milk are you giving your son these days? I remember you mentioning you stopped goat's milk. Do you give your son dairy these days?

My son is doing ok though he has some very mild tics on and off. this month, he would be completing one year after his tics first started. glad to know that your son is improving daily. what are your son's tics these days?

lets hope for the best.

efgh

Guest Jean

Efgh,

He doesn't take milk daily, but couple times in a week. I bought the organic low fat milk from whole foods market. Good to hear your son is getting better.

Guest Guest_efgh

Jean

Since your son is on NO TV for a while, does he ask you "why he should not watch TV?". if so, what do you answer?

my son too is afraid of the dark these days. he never had this problem before. how about your son - did he also start this recently?

thanks.

Guest Jean

Efgh,

My son is near sight. He understands that he is not allowed to have TV/Egames for the reason of protecting his vision. He didn't really ask for it. But I told him it's just a short time limitation. He has the fear for few months. Recently, he always wants me to walk with him to the bath room when it's dark. He always wants to make sure his closet is closed and his bed room lamp is on before he goes to the bed. Otherwise, he can't get sleep. Some of my friends say it's age thing, but I'm not sure. How about your son?

My son is doing better now but at one time reading and any attention to fine motor skills had him ticcing tons. I think Kurt has many triggers. As time goes on and with him doing well on supplements and dietary changes I think for my son it is a "threshold" kind of thing. Do you know what I mean? It feels like we have eliminated alot of stressors on his body...ie. strep, food intolerances, and vit deficiences and now he is tolerating fatigue, stress, reading, TV and attention to fine motor skills MUCH better. Believe me he still has his days...but if I am careful with his diet etc. he is tic free.

However, the tics were never the biggest issue for me. For the most part he is doing very well behaviorly which is a BIG thing. I also use a checklist/reward system for him and this works very well. I spend a TON of time discussing responsibility and his choices. I want him to be able to make GOOD choices. This come naturally to my other son but for Kurt I have to teach him this.

Ronna

efgh

You might consider taking him to an opthamologist trained to assess visual tracking. This sounds like a potential factor. It may not affect learning/reading but may be a stress on his system.

When my son was ticcing from computer, playing piano and reading that music set him off. Jean commented on this too once.

Claire

ps You sound worried about the 'complex tic'. I am sorry for your worries there! Good luck.

Hi All,

My son cannot read a book out loud to me eg: school reader, it usually take 30mins to get through one page and then he has no concept of what the words mean't.

We haven't done any reading homework for almost a month now. If he looks at books by himself, the tic isn't so bad.

I'm not sure how he copes at school, but the teacher hasn't said anything.

He is way below in reading for his year level because he started at a Waldorf (Rudolf Steiner) school and is now in a mainstream school with higher expectations. He also knows that the other kids read better which upsets him.

Hopefully when I've got the diet thing under control, the reading will come naturally.

Guest Guest_Julie

efgh & Jean,

I notice you wrote something about your son being afraid of the dark. How old is he? My son started being afraid of the dark around 6 years old and wouldn't walk down the hall to go the bathroom but it has since stopped now that he is 7.

He does want a bright night light on in order to fall asleep. I thought maybe it is just a phase thing with their ages. Are you thinking otherwise?