ACN Latitudes Forums

Side-Effects of Adderall XR...

Guest Liz

Dizziness and drowsiness are listed as known side-effects of Strattera and Zoloft, and discontinuation of use is recommended if either is a persistent problem. Increased concentration of norepineprhine can cause these side-effects, also hormonal (esp. if peri-menopausal), allergic reactions (auto-immune), and neural (fight-or-flight). I had these in various ways with various meds and have found that Wellbutrin XL was the best of the lot. It is a relatively mild antidepressant and has stimulant effects but is not a stimulant. But it's a med, and I think none is best if you can find a way to do that.

The info in various threads here have helped alot to enable that. So I'd urge you to look at other threads that deal with natural and holistic alternatives. Problems with diet and nutrition or poisons that can build up in your body are going to continue (if you have them) whether you are taking meds and irrespective of which meds. So, a side-benefit of a more natural approach is that you might be able to get rid of dependence and side-effects of meds and also improve your health. Or at least minimize the meds and maximize natural alternatives. This is win-win, right? I'm not symptom-free so to speak but feel it's the best course. Good luck!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take adderallxr and abilify for bi polar. I was taking seroquel with adderall and it worked much better. I had no leg jitters or pain and slept through the night. My focusing power was greater and the hypomania ceased. I wanted to try abilify, but, I'm not that happy with it. It takes several attempts with different medications to find the right one and be productive. I prefer few side effects, but most of all I prefer no symtoms of my bi polar or add, so a little discomfort with meds is much better. I know that over time the discomforts disappear. Be patient with a new med, unless, there are serious side effects. bi polar and add are serious enough which warrants are utmost attention to finding the right therapies. Being without the right therapies are dangerous and we must remember that the mainstream meds are the ones that will work more efficiently for you. Research is always working and studying the effects so know that you are not left alone in the myriad of science.

• 1 month later...
Guest T. Cole

This response is for Julie... Julie I have been taking adderall for over 4 years and the issues you are having with irritation and mood swing is somewhat normal in my experience. What has helped for me(I take 40mg a day) is not to take a one a day. I space out my dosage and take it 3 different times a day. I start my morning with 20mg and take the other 20 at two later times, 10 mg each. How I know when it is time to take my 2nd or 3rd dosage is when my mood starts to change. My biggest mood swing is in the morning appx 1.5 hours after I take the first dosage. I try to work with my known mood swings. My first mood swing is an aggressive one and I use this as my confrontational time when I have to have confrontations. I am a business owner so this often works to my advantage. If I don't have any issues to solve that this mood is useful for I avoid confrontation and try to keep to myself. I see these mood swings and irritation as something that I have to live with. I feel that the pluses outweigh the minuses of not having this helpful drug. Hope this helps.

There is also the possibility that your dosage needs to be adjusted up or down. You may need to experiment a little more but take it slow and give the drug and your body time to adjust before continuing on. My method of dosage is not what was reccommended by my physcician but what works for me. What ever you do discuss your thoughts or results with whomever is prescribing this for you.

• 2 weeks later...

:wub: Hi, girl! The drugs for ADD may help, but best is to try other things first. See Healing ADD by Daniel Amen for his quiz to see what type you have and alternatives for it. As Steve said in his post:

" As we know most medications have side effects - this is the main drawback. Neurotherapy or Neurofeedback is a very effective option that is non drug and can be very effective for essentially all kinds of ADD, with or without hyperactivity." (Steve)

Our son J. got this training (its a video game run by your brainwaves to help you get your own optimum focus and calm.) It took about 9 training sessions to be calmer and less hyper, and 20 more sessions to make it permanent. He then needed no meds, and has been better around others and at his studies since. Now he's doing great at Harding University, (did great on SAT & ASVAB for Army too). Tested recently, he still retains the level of midrange brainwaves he achieved at age 12! You can find a therapist near you at www.eegdirectory.com or www.eegpectrum.com

Our younger son W. and a friend, L., were impatient and didn't stick with the Neurofeedback training and had trouble in school until they both got on a real good food supplement called KIDS NOW made by Reliv. Taken systematically it works as good as meds but without side effects (got 'em calm, healthy and over their football injuries, too.)

If my boys were 5-7 I'd get them on IQExpress for three or four months. I've seen that help younger kids. (See at www.Learningtechnics.com)

The best to you in 2005!

I am 35 years old and have been taking Adderall XR for about 2 months. I worry about the fast heartbeat it gives me, as well as the bouts of insomnia. I take 20 mg in the morning and 10 mg in the afternoon. Anyone have anything to share about the heartbeat thing? It scares me.

• 3 weeks later...

You are 35 and taking 20mg in the morning and 10mg at night? That sounds like an awfully high dose!

I'm 33 and I take 10mg once in the morning and that is the max according to my doctor. You should check your blood pressure two times a day for the next week or two to make sure your dosage isn't elevating your BP to dangerous levels. Also, Adderall XR is designed to be an extended release (hence the "XR") formula to last you a full day so don't take your evening dose (which is what is causing your insomnia).

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell you a great book to read that I recently stumbled onto. This has made a world of difference in my life, it is called Delivered from Distraction by Dr.'s Hallowell and Ratey. They are both doctors (M.D.'s) and they both suffer from ADD. Please read this book. It is excellent. Good luck.

I am 39 and I am taking Adderall XR 15 mg and Lexapro 10 mg. I have the fast heaart beat sometimes. I just stop what I am doing and relax for 10 or 20 minutes, and it goes away. Irritation is also part of my side effects. I again just get away from everyone at work, during that time.

I am wondering does anyone have reactions to sounds? Just the little sounds didn't bother me, but now they do. If someone is sucking on a cough drop drives me crazy, or people rattling papers.

If someone has any suggestions for me to try, I would love the help.

Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

I've been taking Adderall XR and 20mg IR pills for about one week now. It seems that there is absolutely no way for me to focus my attention to my studies without it. I have been experiencing some odd side effects and I believe them to be directly caused by the drug. All the following appeared after I had blown the drug, some more than once.

-arrhythmia of the heart (always)

-Heart rates above 120 for up to 6 hours (always)

-blurry vision (only once)

-hallucinations (auditory, just once, lasted about 30 minutes, sounded like hundreds of birds.)

-insomnia (I feel tired, AND relaxed, but can't sleep until my heart slows down.)

-dizziness (Only noticeable when I lay down to take a break from studying.)

Are the side effects normal in regular adderall users? Or should I visit my doctor? The hallucinations occured last night and had me slightly frightened. I heard a HUGE amount of birds chirping in my room after I had been trying to sleep for about an hour. Please give me any suggestions.

You should stop taking it immediately and make an emergency call to your doctor about it to see if you need medical attention, as advised below. You should not be experiencing those symptoms. Maybe they will switch you or reduce the amount. The cardiac symptoms are very important. That is one of the biggest concerns with Adderall. But all of your symptoms are worrisome. Don't assume this is the only medication that can help you. Please call your doctor right away.

These are warnings that come with the drug:

If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and seek emergency medical attention: · an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);

· an irregular heartbeat or very high blood pressure (severe headache, blurred vision); or

· hallucinations, abnormal behavior, or confusion.

• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take amphetamine-dextroamphetamine and talk to your doctor if you experience

· restlessness or tremor;

· anxiety or nervousness;

· headache or dizziness;

· insomnia;

· dryness of the mouth or an unpleasant taste in the mouth;

· diarrhea or constipation; or

· impotence or changes in sex drive.

Talk to us after you have been in touch with the doctor, OK?

Sheila

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
:P Hello, my son is 5 years old and just got diagnois with ADHD his doctor gave him adderall rx 10mg.  For the past 2 weeks we have been struggling with him taking it (cap form).  The doctor said it also comes in a tablet but only has a 6 hr release time.  He would have to take twice a day instead of once.  He had a good day yesterday and swallowed it but I softened the cap before hand.  Then today he spit it up twice so I tried another one and he stomped on it. 

If anyone has any suggestions please reply.  It looks like we may have to go with the tablets you can dissolve.  The school nurse said they would administer  the second dose at lunch time.  The teacher cannot monitor his behavior or see if he needs further testing for learning disabilities until the meds are stable in his system.  He also has a speech disability in which he sees the speech therapist twice a week.  Sorry this is so long but I'm in need for feedback. I wish they had a local support group where I live.  Thanks,

atkinson42

My son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with adhd. we too had a problem taking the capsules. In the beginning we tried empting them into applesauce, they still tasted terrible and I had a hard time getting him to take them. Then one day i got some smarties ( the little candies that come wrapped up in a roll) they are about the size of a small pill, we starting cutting them in half and practiced swallowing them with liquid. when he got the hang of that we worked on full size ones. He would swallow two then swallow a capsule. The smarties were sweet tasting so if they didn't go down right away it wasn't a problem. he gradually worked up to the capsules. It took a little time, but now he swallows the capsules with no problem what so ever. Hope this works for you

My daughter had the same problem learning to swallow the capsule. We taught her to swallow it using a straw. She would put the pill as far back on her tounge and then use the straw to drink. It would allow her to swallow easily. After a very short amount of time, she was able to do it without the straw. Good luck.

Krisit

• 3 weeks later...

Hello my grandson takes adderall 10 mg 1x daily. it's the blue capsule. The first time he took it he just would not take it now he puts it on the back of his tongue and has taken it now for 10 months. Good luck

Guest Guest
:) Cann't take a pill? Cover it with butter, pop it to the back of the tounge, wash down with liquid! (my seven year old tried everything with no luck untill we triied this!) Got it the first time and by the third day we didn't need the butter and now he does't even need the liguid! Good luck moms.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am 46 years old, all my life I struggled at being forgetful or I was scattered brain or stupid. I was diagnosed with ADD a little late in my life. I started taking strattera. It made me sick and sleepy. Is it odd that it made me sleepy? Does anyone else out there get that same effect. I also experienced moodiness and being aggetated, being short with my friends and family. Since then my Doctor has put me on adderall rx 20. I do great with my ADD except for getting agitated quickly, and snapping. Before I was put on strattera, I took zolft for depression, the doctor said that it I should stop taking it because zoloft adds to forgetfulnes ect. My question to anyone else is; what other medication could I take or try with the adderall? I now I could ask my Doctor, and I work with seven doctors everyday, they are very negitive when it comes to talking about ADD. I don't feel like a person or Doctor can really give a true answer unless they are experiencing ADD themselves, and so far I haven't been lucky enough to find a Doctor with ADD. Is there anyone out there that can advise me as to what other medication I can take to stop the irritation and mood swings? :

5948[/snapback]

Hi Julie,

I know your post is old, but it actually made me want to register and respond, so, I hope this helps.

I am 35 years old and have known for some time that I have had ADHD for a good part of my life. I was not officially diagnosed with it until I was 32, but looking back, I now see that had Doctors known then what they know now, I would have done a lot better in school and not had to struggle so much. Anyway, I take Adderall 25mg XR and I too have always had mood swings (worse as I got older). My lack of patience for certain things has increased drastically over the years. I am also prescribed Cymbalta 60 mg for the mood swings and anxiety. I cannot even begin to tell you what a world of difference this had made for me!

I have had to compensate over the years (b/c of my undiagnosed ADHD) by living with a strict regimented schedule. I still have this habit, and if anyone in my family botches my schedule, I lose it. so, the Cymbalta has helped me to slow down a bit and relax. It doesn't help that my 8 year old daughter has a textbook case of ADHD herself and is on Adderall as well. Anyway, I hope that this didn't come too late and you did not give up on hearing from anyone. Good Luck! ~Laura

Hi, I have many questions in regards to Adderall 15 mg capsule xr. I have just started to use it because everything else that I have tried never helped and my grades are suffering a lot. wheather at school, work , or home my mind is never in my head. I felt as though my memory was bad and I would forget basic everyday knowledge. I started the medication a week ago and use it only I days that I feel like i need it, because I don't want to develope tolerance for the medication. I'm 20 years old and plan on staying in school for at least 5 more years. I don't know if taking the medication daily will help me more in school, or if taking it when I have studying is more bennifical. I do know that I probably need the medication everyday but I am scared to become addicated. When I take the medication I develope dry mouth, I get very cold but feel as though I can concentrate and actually study verse not taking it and having my mind wonder or fall asleep. It does help me study and feel confident about school, but I recently had an exam and I messed everything up, things that are so obivouse to me just thinking back about the exam. A major problem I am having is going to sleep which is why my Pharmisist suggested I no longer use the Xr form but itstead the immediate- release. My doctor want me to use the RX for the rest of the month but I am scared that the outcome will be worse than what the benifit is supposed to be. An example is this morning I took the medication and I feel physically and mentally strained, I don't know if its because I don't have a steady way of taking the medication or if its because by body is still not used to it. I welcome any advice I really don't know what to do. I also heard people can become depressed by using this medication. Is there any truth to it. Well i'm going to stop talking but please if anyone can help I do welcome it. Thanks a lot