ACN Latitudes Forums

vocal tics increased with playmate?

faith

what do you all make of this?

my son has been on Augmentin for two weeks now, just as a trial as I got our ped to prescribe it due to my son having red spots on his throat and suspected strep, but it was all negative. so I am just keeping up the abx (he gave me 2 refills after I batted my eyelashes) until I see Dr. L. so at least I have something to report.

Now I can't attest to my sons ticcing or any other of his symptoms abating at this point, they are all still there, albeit not every minute of the day. as we know some symptoms of the emotional kind only show when the opportunity comes up. my son's vocal tic is the most obvious. I felt he was at least waning when he got the cold a few days before I went to the doc and got the abx., like the vocal was more spread out, but definitely there, just not every 5 seconds, like in previous days. while on the augmentin, he has maintained that trend, still ticcing, but the vocal is more sporadic, sometimes I see 45 minutes to more than an hour go by and havn't heard him make that shrilly sound.

To get to the point, yesterday (Sunday) he was pretty quiet most of the morning and early afternoon, he would let out a few shrills and then that's it. We went out to a halloween event and picked up his friend who is a frequent playmate at our house. the second this kid got in my car, my son started making sounds. then when we got home, they played in the basement, and he made the loud sounds continuously. after about an hour, I took the boy home. when I got back, my son was still downstairs playing, and .... no sounds to be heard. That is wierd to me. I so wanted my son to be around him and be kind of quiet for once, but its like as soon as he gets near him, he goes off. Anyone have an idea what could be going on, is this one big coincidence? does this kid have something on him that is making my son react? i know sometimes this kid puts some kind of cologn on, but I don't recall smelling it yesterday. could something more be at play here? Not saying he only tics with this guy around, its just that he kind of had a trend going, like long intervals of quiet, and then alot when the kid was there. excitement of playing? how exciting could legos be? :wacko:

Faith

My son used to get an increase in tics (I mean from nothing to very dramatic) when he had friends over........for him, it was all about excitement mixed with anxiety over what "may come out."

When my sons were healing...it was like that....long intervals of nothing...and then bam, bursts. Staying with the treaatment plan, this trend faded for them both over time.

Kelly