ACN Latitudes Forums

I'm scared

Suzan

DD8 had a cavity filled yesterday. We used the laughing gas since she was so fearful of the shot. I called our immunologist before to make sure she thought it was OK after all the talk about things happening after dental work. We agreed that she needed the tooth filled otherwise she'd have to have it removed at some point which would be worse.

Today she is showing more signs of OCD than I've ever seen before. She pretty out of control. I just gave her a 5-htp and a benadryl to try to calm her down. She wants to play cards with her sister but she won't stop yelling and whining and complaining about all the rules not being followed correctly. Her sister said no way would she play any more (I can't blame her and frankly I'm glad it's over) but now dd8 won't stop saying "I want to play cards" over and over like she's going to die if she can't play cards. DD7's birthday is today. I think it's going to be a horrible bust. No way will dd8 be able to handle it. She's organizing all the party favors and if anyone changes them she's falling out. That's just a small example of what the entire day has been like. I'm a wreck.

What if I totally screwed her up by getting that filling yesterday? What if she doesn't come back? I'm really scared. Should I call our immunologist? I don't know what she would do.

Susan

Dear Suzan, I am worried that I screwed up too. I thought it would be okay to get my sons dental work done 2 days ago because he was on the high dose Augmentin. He is really backsliding. He is retracing his steps, retouching things, everything that he was doing before we started the antibiotic. I feel sick to my stomach... I feel so bad that I had the dentist go ahead and pull three teeth. He now has huge canker sores in his mouth form all the novicaine shots. It is like these kids until they get more healed, they cannot take a hit.

I wish I had more help to offer you, but I will be waiting for replies to your post. I'm sure that things will level off again.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter,

Judy..

DD8 had a cavity filled yesterday. We used the laughing gas since she was so fearful of the shot. I called our immunologist before to make sure she thought it was OK after all the talk about things happening after dental work. We agreed that she needed the tooth filled otherwise she'd have to have it removed at some point which would be worse.

Today she is showing more signs of OCD than I've ever seen before. She pretty out of control. I just gave her a 5-htp and a benadryl to try to calm her down. She wants to play cards with her sister but she won't stop yelling and whining and complaining about all the rules not being followed correctly. Her sister said no way would she play any more (I can't blame her and frankly I'm glad it's over) but now dd8 won't stop saying "I want to play cards" over and over like she's going to die if she can't play cards. DD7's birthday is today. I think it's going to be a horrible bust. No way will dd8 be able to handle it. She's organizing all the party favors and if anyone changes them she's falling out. That's just a small example of what the entire day has been like. I'm a wreck.

What if I totally screwed her up by getting that filling yesterday? What if she doesn't come back? I'm really scared. Should I call our immunologist? I don't know what she would do.

Susan

I *think* nitrous oxide opens the BBB. My daughter just had a root canal on 10/13...She got sick (spiking 104 fever) that same day and ended up w/ severely amped OCD when the fever was brought down. She's doing somewhat better now. Your daughter will come back- hope the b-day party doesn't go too badly. Well, I hope it goes really well, actually!

Is your daughter on full strength abx?

Suzan,

just to clarify, what would be the problem with having a tooth filled? the laughing gas or the actual tooth work and filling the cavity? my son has an obvious cavity, acutally it looks like a big black spot, but when we were last at the dentist a few months back, the dentist said she wasn't going to bother filling it because it was a little loose and going to fall soon, but it hasn't yet. I was thinking of taking him in, but don't know.

Faith

I *think* nitrous oxide opens the BBB. My daughter just had a root canal on 10/13...She got sick (spiking 104 fever) that same day and ended up w/ severely amped OCD when the fever was brought down. She's doing somewhat better now. Your daughter will come back- hope the b-day party doesn't go too badly. Well, I hope it goes really well, actually!

Is your daughter on full strength abx?

I have her on 250 mg of zith a day. Our immunologist wants her on every other day right now but knowing this appt was coming up I put her back on daily. I am sorry about your daughter too but I'm glad to know she's getting better. Thank you for the support.

Susan

Dear Suzan, I am worried that I screwed up too. I thought it would be okay to get my sons dental work done 2 days ago because he was on the high dose Augmentin. He is really backsliding. He is retracing his steps, retouching things, everything that he was doing before we started the antibiotic. I feel sick to my stomach... I feel so bad that I had the dentist go ahead and pull three teeth. He now has huge canker sores in his mouth form all the novicaine shots. It is like these kids until they get more healed, they cannot take a hit.

I wish I had more help to offer you, but I will be waiting for replies to your post. I'm sure that things will level off again.

My heart goes out to you and your daughter,

Judy..

Judy, big hugs to you too. I am so sorry!

Suzan,

just to clarify, what would be the problem with having a tooth filled? the laughing gas or the actual tooth work and filling the cavity? my son has an obvious cavity, acutally it looks like a big black spot, but when we were last at the dentist a few months back, the dentist said she wasn't going to bother filling it because it was a little loose and going to fall soon, but it hasn't yet. I was thinking of taking him in, but don't know.

Faith

My daughter's cavity is in a baby tooth too but it probably won't fall out for 4 more years and it's growing fast. If your son can avoid it, I would wait. I know there has been talk on the board about PANDAS kids going through episodes after dental work. I think there is question about whether strep is released into the blood stream or as peglem said that the blood brain barrier opens. I don't know... I think the gas makes it worse. We never would have been able to get her to lie still without it. But really, the only reason I was worried before was because of what I have read here that other parents have gone through.

Susan

Hi Susan,

Please don't beat yourself up about it. I feel like every choice we make as the parents of these children is so carefully thought out. You did what you felt was best and it was the best decision. I think the tooth pulling would ultimately be even worse!

My dd5 had some dental work about five months ago now. She had a small cavity. I was very concerned about the nitrous oxide too. I had asked Dr. K at the time and he assured me that it would not be a problem. For us, it wasn't. Our dd was not in the middle of an exacerbation at the time. Was your daughter doing well prior to?

Hang in there. Good luck with the birthday..... Jen

My son had both a tooth infection and a cavity filled. The tooth infection was far worse. He had a bad day or two after getting the cavity filled and then things settled down. Personnaly I think you did the right thing getting the cavity filled because letting it go could eventually lead to infection. Maybe up the antibiotics for a day or two. Good luck, Alex

Happened to us too. Has the cavity filled with nitrous and saw a slight flare and then things calmed down. I think anything that stresses theirimmune system (even a cavity) can do it but hopefully it will be transient. I would just watch her and see if some Motrin will help. If things get worse I would call your immunologist and see if he would give you a short streoid burst. Hang in there...we are all in this together!

Thanks everyone.... We made it through the party and everything was OK. DD8 had her moments but she managed to hold it together. She's sleeping now. I do hope we will see her quiet down over the weekend. Seeing her like this today made me realize I am not equiped to handle her if she (or her sister) gets really bad. I know we've had some bad times and things are hard now but today gave me a glimpse of how it could get. I'm all alone here with them and I have no help.

I don't know what I would do without you all.

Susan

Thanks everyone.... We made it through the party and everything was OK. DD8 had her moments but she managed to hold it together. She's sleeping now. I do hope we will see her quiet down over the weekend. Seeing her like this today made me realize I am not equiped to handle her if she (or her sister) gets really bad. I know we've had some bad times and things are hard now but today gave me a glimpse of how it could get. I'm all alone here with them and I have no help.

I don't know what I would do without you all.

Susan

Susan, hang in there--you have sought help and continue to do so-- If it was me I would probably go to full strength antibiotics with our d for a little while, to see if it helped. (Of course she IS on full strength now:)

All the best-- You have been a courageous mom thus far and will continue--you can do it.

Best,

T.

Hello again, I have been out of town and thought I would check in to let you know that my dd8 managed to be OK while I was gone. She had one episode that the person taking care of her was able to manage. When we got home, her episodes are strong but we are managing OK aside from one wacked out insane tantrum (on my part, I completely lost it). She is aware of how she has been feeling and acting and she's asking for a therapy swing and heavy pressure so I feel like her awareness of how she is feeling is a good sign. I have been lying on top of her for heavy pressure which is really helping and we will look into a swing this weekend. We see a psychologist for a psych evaluation this weekend, meet with the school to plan her 504 Plan on the 18th and then we see our immunologist on the 23rd. She says she has a plan for us but I have no idea what that is at this point. So we are just hanging in there until then.

Susan

Susan,

Wondering if your daughter is doing ok now? Have you ever had her folate or B12 levels checked? Also, wondering if NAC (n acetyl cysteine) would be an option if nitrous oxide caused things to get worse (OCD type behaviors)? Do you have any type of alternative dr. or DAN?

Also, I'm really wondering, what did the dentist fill the cavity with?

Sorry for all of the questions late in the thread!

Susan,

Wondering if your daughter is doing ok now? Have you ever had her folate or B12 levels checked? Also, wondering if NAC (n acetyl cysteine) would be an option if nitrous oxide caused things to get worse (OCD type behaviors)? Do you have any type of alternative dr. or DAN?

Also, I'm really wondering, what did the dentist fill the cavity with?

Sorry for all of the questions late in the thread!

Thanks for checking up on us. I have had her B12 levels tested but I don't think folate. We do see a Dan! doc but he is on the other side of town and very busy from the flu right now that we have not been to see him for a while. For the NAC, do you take that as a supplement if you have to take nitrous oxide? What does the folate tell you and what might low (or high) levels indicate?

I had the dentist fill with the white filling since the other contains mercury. Even though it's in a baby tooth and will fall out in a few years, I figured it would be better to not mess with it. I hope you won't tell me that's worse than the silver! :)

She is doing OK as far as being able to function and have some fun although while I've been typing this she let out a blood curtling scream and cry that I thought maybe she had cut her finger off or something but it was because she had ripped a tiny corner of the picture she was painting. She spent part of the day either clinging to me or running from bugs that aren't there because she saw a yellow jacket (one of her 3 biggest fears).

I wrote that we were seeing the therapist this weekend but I really meant this upcoming week.

Susan