ACN Latitudes Forums

I found this when I was searching for something else...

EAMom

We just run through test and knowing my son has very high level of strep virus. Can strep virus be latent, too? If it can, so my son's autism comes from these strep virus in his brain, and it is in latent status most of time? Does it make sense?

THe reason I ask is because when my son is not sick, he is more autistic. When he has a fever and taking motrin, he is much less autistic ( nearly a normal boy). Dana commented that he has "Latent Virus in the brain". I am here trying to figure out what does latent virus mean and is it strep virus in the brain?

It's from this website http://onibasu.com/archives/am/236560.html, a 2008 post.

I just wonder if this kid has PANDAS?? It's pretty typical of PANDAS kids to improve on advil (motrin/ibuprofen).

And another:

Same thing with my GS, except he great when sick and on antibiotics!

Chris

Hmmm...great on antibiotics?

And the response was weird too...

This is a sign of latent viruses in your child's brain.

The fever suppresses/fights off the virus temporarily, and the motrin

reduces inflammation.

Dana

And why do they keep calling strep a virus? Strep is a bacteria...and what are they even talking about???

I just wonder how many "autistic" (and "bipolar") kids are out there that happen to get better while on antibiotics and motrin. Ughhh.

EAMom,

Dana has been around a while. Notice she doesn't call strep a virus. She has a web site here http://www.danasview.net/sitemap.htm. She has learned and tried all kinds of things with her kids, mostly with no testing or Drs. Some of her info seemed kind of "out there" like ear wax and cradle cap being yeast related, then all of a sudden, I'd run into something that wouldd support that, and think, wow she's good!

The idea that kids improve with fever has been around a while too. I think there is even some research somewhere about bursts of development after routine childhood illness.

We just run through test and knowing my son has very high level of strep virus. Can strep virus be latent, too? If it can, so my son's autism comes from these strep virus in his brain, and it is in latent status most of time? Does it make sense?

THe reason I ask is because when my son is not sick, he is more autistic. When he has a fever and taking motrin, he is much less autistic ( nearly a normal boy). Dana commented that he has "Latent Virus in the brain". I am here trying to figure out what does latent virus mean and is it strep virus in the brain?

It's from this website http://onibasu.com/archives/am/236560.html, a 2008 post.

I just wonder if this kid has PANDAS?? It's pretty typical of PANDAS kids to improve on advil (motrin/ibuprofen).

And another:

Same thing with my GS, except he great when sick and on antibiotics!

Chris

Hmmm...great on antibiotics?

And the response was weird too...

This is a sign of latent viruses in your child's brain.

The fever suppresses/fights off the virus temporarily, and the motrin

reduces inflammation.

Dana

And why do they keep calling strep a virus? Strep is a bacteria...and what are they even talking about???

I just wonder how many "autistic" (and "bipolar") kids are out there that happen to get better while on antibiotics and motrin. Ughhh.

This is interesting. My best friends child is autistic. Just the other day she mentioned how when her son has a fever his mind is clear as a bell. Like a normal boy. Once the fever goes he slowly slips back into the fog. She says if a child can be normal at any point then there is a normal child in there. She just has to figure out how to get him out for good!

DeAnn

This is interesting. My best friends child is autistic. Just the other day she mentioned how when her son has a fever his mind is clear as a bell. Like a normal boy. Once the fever goes he slowly slips back into the fog. She says if a child can be normal at any point then there is a normal child in there. She just has to figure out how to get him out for good!

DeAnn

Maybe she should try treating him for a couple of months as if he was PANDAS? Good doses of Azith. and Advil?

BTW...I wonder what kind of CaM kinase ll results we'd get on a bunch of autistic kids? If they tend to run high also or if that would be a test to weed out PANDAS autistics from non-pandas autistics?

(raising my hand.) I think my daughter's very severe autism is caused by PANDAS. She doesn't get fevers very often, but I wouldn't say it makes her mind "clear as a bell." What it does do (and she had a fever last week, so its fresh in my mind) is physically slow her down...almost lethargic. She does not show typical symptoms when she has strep- chronically, so they say she's a carrier. Her non-fever, non-exacerbation self is very, very hyperactive, so a little lethargy once in a while is a pretty nice break! (for me) Her non-fever, exacerbated self is bouncing (literally) off the walls hyperactive with very unregulated movement (don't know whether to call it chorea or tics- either way she has little control over movements) and extreme OCD so that EVERYTHING becomes obsessive or compulsive or both.

I used to go to Dana's site a lot, but haven't in several years...nice to know its still there. I hope she and her kids are doing well.

For what its worth, a lot of people do not know the difference between a virus and bacteria....how nice if you don't have to know!

EAMom,

Dana has been around a while. Notice she doesn't call strep a virus. She has a web site here http://www.danasview.net/sitemap.htm.

Interesting webiste. I didn't see an update on her kids since 2006.

I see that she doesn't call strep a virus...but she doesn't really clarify difference for the guy that posted either, which makes me wonder if they are really all one and the same in her mind. I noticed she has done a lot with anti-virals on her kids...but no mention of abs (that I saw). I'm guessing the first poster was actually talking about strep (and calling it a "strep virus), but then she goes on as if that is a virus...I don't know? All speculation on my part I suppose.

I used to go to Dana's site a lot, but haven't in several years...nice to know its still there. I hope she and her kids are doing well.
I didn't find anything really recent on her kids...it looks like the last update on them was 2006? I glanced at some of her stuff...it was mind boggling. It makes this PANDAS stuff seem so simple (and relatively rewarding)

For what its worth, a lot of people do not know the difference between a virus and bacteria....how nice if you don't have to know!

Yeah...but I'm hoping she does! It seems like it would be too easy to recommend anti-virals for someone with a strep infection if you don't know the difference! But that would be a good poll...like Jay Leno (or was it Letterman) used to do in the street? What is the difference between a virus and a bacteria? Which one would you treat with an anti-viral? Which one would you treat with an anti-biotic? :wub:

EAmom,

She does know the difference. She always says that she cleared strep in her kids with olive leaf extract. She usually gives very short answers, but she responds to many people. When you said "she doesn't really clarify the difference for the guy that posted either, which makes me wonder if they are really all one and the same in her mind."

I think she does think the "effect" is one and the same, so didn't bother to clarify. I think she has 3 or 4 kids and like you pointed out, she has studies mind boggling pathways. You can understand why short answers would be all she would have time for!

A quick search brought up this.... http://www.bio-medicine.org/medicine-news/...ps-Autism-28-1/

Meanwhile I have been wondering about the opposite thing with antibiotics and autism. I have a friend whose 3 year old is about to be diagnosed with autism (she is in the mist of evals but there is no question about it that he will get that diagnosis) and he was on heavy antibiotics for the first year of his life due to kidney issues. I did a search and saw people questioning a connection between the antibiotics and autism.... so wouldn't that be contradicting the other that the antibiotics would help? I am probably not making sense...

With the mentioning of fevers, I thought I'd ask this question. Does anyone here know if their child goes through a week or more of a higher, "natural", temp? My son sometimes will walk around with a temp of 99.something for a week or more. Temp taken with one of those forehead thermometers that you glide on their forehead. It never spikes an an actual fever, but seems high to just be his temp baseline. Is that a sign of anything or is it just his own, natural temp fluctuating?

With the mentioning of fevers, I thought I'd ask this question. Does anyone here know if their child goes through a week or more of a higher, "natural", temp? My son sometimes will walk around with a temp of 99.something for a week or more. Temp taken with one of those forehead thermometers that you glide on their forehead. It never spikes an an actual fever, but seems high to just be his temp baseline. Is that a sign of anything or is it just his own, natural temp fluctuating?

Goodness, I could have posted that exact thing right now. I have been trying to figure this out. He has been running a low grade fever..... goes from 98.7-99.7 I can't figure it out.... I took it yesterday expecting it to be 110 based on the way he looked but he says he is fine, feels fine.... and it was 99.6. If I call the dr. about 99 fevers they will tell me that is not a fever... but I know that when nothing is going on at all my son has a typical temperature of between 97.6-98.6. I have an appt on Tuesday and am going to ask the dr. My personal feelings are that something is not right.. that his normal body temperature is not in the 99 range... of course whether that is now connected to his increase in throat clearing or not I have no idea... He is on antibiotics already so I guess I just keep thinking it must be something viral. This is not the first week I have noticed this....... it has gone on before and just finally gone away but it's starting to bother me.

Ds also has a rash on his cheeks that one would look at and say is a rash but that it's just because he has sensitive skin. He doesn't really have sensitive skin though but that's what it looks like. I will be asking about that too on Tuesday. My mommy gut wants to call today and take him in but I am really starting to appear neurotic. Between my 3 kids I have called the office almost every day for the last 2 weeks for something.

With my son,I've realized that increased body temp only when I've kissed his forehead to say goodbye and noticed it was warm. There was a couple times when he just wasn't acting completely "right" so I checked it and it was raised. Usually on edge or easily aggitated. But the behaviors are subtle when that happens and tends to go away on their own. I can't say I see a consistent correlation. For my son, I wonder if it's just a coincidence. But then, your son's behaviors are subtle too to the "untrained PANDAS eye", right? Hmmm. I guess I need to start documenting these increase in temp w/ what's going on and how long it takes to go back into the 98 range. It hasn't happened in awhile, though. I had a time when I was checking his temp on the upwards on 10+ times a day. I'm not that bad now.

ps If his temp is on the higher and of the higher end of the 99 range, I do give Motrin just to nip any impending inflamaton in the bud.

Erica, is your son fair skinned? Mine is so his cheeks do turn red and his ears turn beet red a lot. Fair skinned kids, have more sensitive skin.

With my son,I've realized that increased body temp only when I've kissed his forehead to say goodbye and noticed it was warm. There was a couple times when he just wasn't acting completely "right" so I checked it and it was raised. Usually on edge or easily aggitated. But the behaviors are subtle when that happens and tends to go away on their own. I can't say I see a consistent correlation. For my son, I wonder if it's just a coincidence. But then, your son's behaviors are subtle too to the "untrained PANDAS eye", right? Hmmm. I guess I need to start documenting these increase in temp w/ what's going on and how long it takes to go back into the 98 range. It hasn't happened in awhile, though. I had a time when I was checking his temp on the upwards on 10+ times a day. I'm not that bad now.

ps If his temp is on the higher and of the higher end of the 99 range, I do give Motrin just to nip any impending inflamaton in the bud.

Erica, is your son fair skinned? Mine is so his cheeks do turn red and his ears turn beet red a lot. Fair skinned kids, have more sensitive skin.

Yes my son is fair skinned.... dark brown hair but very fair skin... those dark circles under his eyes :( And YES his BEET RED ears usually give away his fevers.... In fact he came home from school a few weeks ago with fever and I couldn't imagine that nobody at school thought to have the nurse check him just based on the color of his ears... I have been checking him a zillion times a day all week and keep saying to my mother that I just can't figure it out. He woke up today and his temp was 98.7.... I am sure I won't be able to keep myself from checking when he gets home from school. I guess I haven't given the motrin because I have been trying to see if it was going to go up but it just isn't.. I should have done the motrin for sure yesterday. Also this morning for the first time he startled me out of a deep sleep (around 4:30) with clearing his throat... I have never noticed him doing it in his sleep or being woken from it...

Realizing we are getting off topic, but I have to add this. You all may have seen me mention Pixie's "unexplained" fevers, and that is what I am referring to. She will normally be around 97 (rather low) for her temp, but then it will raise up to 99, 100, highest has been 103 with no symptoms and that lasted 10 days and the ped FINALLY saw it for herself and ran some tests for Kawasaki, Lupus, Lyme, Leukemia.... nothing came back except a SED rate of 63!!! They said this was a lab error and re-ran it, BUT she was over the fever by the time they re-ran it (of course!) she was over the fever and the SED rate was down to 14. At that point the ped refused to do any more tests, so we changed doctors (not that that got us anywhere for a couple of years!)

During a "fever" she has a redder "flushed" face, sometimes with hives presenting on her neck and a pink sort of spiderwebby look to her skin and is lethargic with tired eyes, dark circles under her eyes, usually an increase in tics (especially eyes) and then AFTER the fever is done, an exacerbation in behavioral symptoms.

She used to get 2 big bouts of fevers each year (with no other symptoms)- in Sept and in March. BUT now they are lower and more frequent- increasing more and more. We are now to the point where a doctor would consider her "normal" baseline to be 99 because that is the temp she is probably 4 days out of the week. The fluctuations from 97 to 99 don't fit the pattern of exacerbation from before- now she will have the behaviors no matter what.

The chiro we just saw feels like Pixie has a viral pattern showing in her blood work (in addition to the strep) and that we should treat that with various herbs and high doses of vitamin D. There is enough to say about this for a whole other thread though!!

Manda