ACN Latitudes Forums

need help with nervous facial tics

Hi i am new to this forum. I have a rare unvoluntary tic movement disorder where I make a nervous face, when i get uncomfortable.My trigger is face to face contact. If I lock eyes with someone there is a possibility that this terrible nervous tic will occur. It comes from a fear of being watched. Does anyone know anything about this? Does anyone know anything that could help to reduce this? I appreciate any responses.

thanks Shawn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shawn and welcome ^_^

If you email Sheila Rogers via the Latitudes Homepage top buuton where it says "CONTACT US" you can find out whether Dr Robbins is receiving emails.

That Forum with him is now "Read Only"

I have no personal experience with the kind of nervous tic that you are dealing with, but if I come accross any info i will post it back here, so do stay in touch....

Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

can someone please let me know supplements that have helped with tics, and has anyone had success with detox? Ive heard detox is a good idea so if anyone has had a positive experience or knows good info. about this stuff please reply.

thanks Shawn

Welcome Shawn

We have had a lot of new visitors in this past week, and you can find that information on various threads, including the one initiated by 7Roses.

More than anything, this is very complex, and though many here have had success, it isn't so much one formula as a process, so no simple response. So I encourage you to also read many many threads, or review the alternative doctor link at the top of the site that Sheila Rogers, site editor posted.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions as you read...

Claire

Shawn

as Claire has explained, there is a wealth of info here about detox and supplements, and especially detox from Yeast Infection and mercury.

The supplements that help most with tics are very much dependent on how the tics originate...ie are they Tourette or transient tics.

However, all seem to find calcium/magnesium/zinc and Essential Fatty Acids (Omega Oils) useful....also the amino acids L-carnitine and Taurine seem to help most people who have tics.

:)

I dont have Tourette syndrone so they must be transient. thanks for your info im a poor college student so i only like to try out stuff that has had a lot of success. Ill probably atleast get some magnesium taurine/taurate, b6, lecitin and im considering trying a possible detox because i have heard of a lot of success with that. There is so many though i dont know where to begin there. I know i am probably defecient in some vitamins/ minerals because i have smelly feet. Is there any multivitamins that are known to suppress tics?

thanks for your responses Shawn

I have took omega 3, and flax seed oil in the past along with a multivitamin, but the multivitamin was the only thing helping me slightly. If anyone has had success with a few supplements or detoxes please post them. I cant afford a grocery list, I am currently taking just l-tyrosine and dl-phenylanine. I just read that phenylanine is bad for TS and tics, so i guess ill stop taking that. I have a worse problem with tics around bright lights and when i am really tired, any experiences and suggestions are very helpful thanks Shawn.

Through God all things are possible.

Shawn,

Since you mentioned smelly feet... Chemar posted a link here from an active poster on another thread on Pyrollia. "FJ" says that smelly feet are a key symptom of this 'disease' that is basically 'cured' by zinc/b6/magnesium I think.

You should ask FJ on the other board.

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showth...86040#post86040

It turns out there is this great at-home urine test you can mail in that is $34 plus shipping. You don't need a doctor to sign anything. You just need to go vitamin-free for 3 days first. Again, your smelly feet comment makes you a candidate--you could be one of the lucky ones for whom this simple solution works, as it did for FJ's son. I don't know how many others have tried this with success, since it is a theory of hers and I don't usually read that board, but the cost is really not much compared to some tests. You must freeze the urine before shipping it via Airborne. I just sent away for a kit myself.

As for the bright lights, light sensitivity can be an issue with high mercury levels Sorry I don't have the link for that. (or a Riboflavin deficiency, among other things) Mercury detox is discussed here, and can be done with antioxidants but generally best under a doctor's guidance after being tested first. We have threads on that, Heather did a lot on that one, please check them out.

My son has high mercury levels and some light sensitivity and is sensitive to the flicker of CRT computer monitors--they actually trigger tics. Do you know what your refresh rate is set at? Try to move it as high as possible--it takes only a minute and can't hurt. If this is an issue, an LCD monitor is ideal. But they aren't cheap so I would change the refresh rate first and see if it helps any. Go to the desktop, right click on properties and set it higher. Let me know what the highest rate is once it is set. Some only go to 75, which is better than 60hz, but 85 is better and 95+ is ideal.

Try to ask yourself if you have ever gone a full week without computer or TV and if you noticed any improvement. That is about how long it takes to really get your nervous system back in order. I know that can be impossible for a college student to do, but vacations do occur. I wouldn't mention the TV other than that you mentioned the light sensitivity.

There are other things to check of course, and without an alternative doctor, again, please read the threads and see what strikes you.

One last thing: do you crave carbohydrates, sweets and/or breads?

Claire

Shawn

The "smelly feet" is a classic symptom of Pyroluria, and it is very easy to cure with supplements (mainly VitB6 and zinc) and then the tics also go!

I also encourage you, as Claire has, to read FJs thread on BrainTalk about it.

She has both personal and research experience here and MANY people have been helped over a number of years by following her advice on this.

here is the thread again

http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showth...ead.php?t=10944

I am so glad that you can attest to the fact that with God all things are possible! and pray that He will lead and guide you into finding the answers that you need to restore your body to health.

Please stay in touch with us here. We care :)

Cheri

ps yes, you should stop the DLPhenylalanine as, altho it helps with depression and moods, it can accentuate tics.

Rather try the Taurine and L-Carnitine which are amino acids that have been found to diminish tics.

Also, be sure your multivitamin doesnt have artificial coloring in it, and try to stay away from stuff that has aspartame (nutrasweet) and sucralose(splenda) in it.

re: detox....capryllic acid eliminates yeast and chlorella helps mop up mercury.

There are also good detox mixes at some health stores .......but, before using up your precious $$ on other stuff...do first check out FJs info on pyroluria....the smelly feet are a BIG CLUE! :) and that treatment overall is inexpensive, simple and effective!

I changed my refresh rate from 60 to 85. I have cravings for sweets sometimes but only because i dont eat junk food all that often due to trying to figure out what will work with this condition.

thank both of you for the posts, you both have good info. that is very likely to be helpful.

I started taking supplements for Pyroluria, since their is a chance that i may have it. I am taking magnesium, zinc, vitamin b6 and l-tyrosine. The new combination hasent really done anything yet though. I have been taking them for about a week. I stopped taking dl-phenylanine after reading that it is bad, but i have been getting a lot more depressed lately. I dont do a lot of fun things in my life because I have a facial tick problem and social anxiety so i basically go to college, do homework, go to church, sometimes hang out with friends, and then sit around mostly on the weekends, lol you would get depressed to. what is a good thing to do to reverse depression? This always seems to happen to me once in awhile. Last time this happened was last year and i took prozac for awhile which helped a lot but i dont want to take a ssri everytime i get depressed.

any help is appreciated thanks,

Shawn

shawn

St John's Wort is recommended for depression as is 5HTP.

Both cause elevated seratonin, and 5HTP has faster effects, but some people seem to prefer St John's effect.

You should NOT take them with an SSRI and also dont take them together unless a doctor oks it.

start at minimum dose and then work up if necessary.....both are available at health stores and even at WalMart (we use Natrol brand 5HTP as it is very pure)

Also, EXCERCISE is a great depression lifter as it releases endorphins which make you feel great ....even just a good walk is ok...it doesnt have to be a big workout :)

Guest Guest_teach1

Hi Shawn,

I too have facial tics, though I do have TS. I also have bleparospasm (constant blinking of eyes). Some think my symptoms are dystonia caused by being on medication for 20 years, so be careful about medication! My face distorts, I sort of squeeze me eyes shut, and my head leans to the side. It is worse when I am talking 1-1 with a person. I am a teacher and have had to go to 1/2 time as I can't cope with the stress of full time with my darn eyes closed 1/2 the time. Very frustrating, and yes, depressing too. So I am on St John's Wart hoping it will help me feel less like a failure with the kids at school. It's tough dealing with people, stares, I actuallyhad a store clerk laugh at me last week. However, I am learning to deal with it, and am going to try to educate people by telling them what I have, so hopefully it will make us both feel less uncomfortable. People are usually pretty good when they know you have a physical disability, especially if you make it sound really good like 'Tourette's Syndrome, a neurological condition caused by a......' or just, I have facial tics, and I have no control over them. Most people are pretty understanding. And good for you for going to college and sticking it out! Hey, hanging out with friends sounds like fun to me!! Good luck, and hang in there. teach 1