ACN Latitudes Forums

chicken pox vac

i've seen on here a few times people believe there is a connection with the chicken pox vacc. does anyone have studies or is it an anecdotal thought?

when i got my son's records from the ped, there was a note that i had called after his first chicken pox vacc to discuss i thought he might be having a reaction. this was 4 years ago. my husband and i had completely forgotten until we saw the note.

last year, when pandas surfaced, he had a terrible mouth rash. looking at pics, it doesn't look like impetigo - more like herpes. no drs at the time were concerned about it. nothing seemed to help. i definitely believe it's related. this year, he was up for a 2nd chicken pox vacc which i refused.

i am curious about this connection and possible herpes/strep/pandas connections.

i've seen on here a few times people believe there is a connection with the chicken pox vacc. does anyone have studies or is it an anecdotal thought?

when i got my son's records from the ped, there was a note that i had called after his first chicken pox vacc to discuss i thought he might be having a reaction. this was 4 years ago. my husband and i had completely forgotten until we saw the note.

last year, when pandas surfaced, he had a terrible mouth rash. looking at pics, it doesn't look like impetigo - more like herpes. no drs at the time were concerned about it. nothing seemed to help. i definitely believe it's related. this year, he was up for a 2nd chicken pox vacc which i refused.

i am curious about this connection and possible herpes/strep/pandas connections.

My son's PANDAS became severely worse after he received Chicken Pox and Hep A vaccines two years ago. Within a couple of weeks after the vaccines, OCD became worse and we saw symptoms we had never seen before such as long spacing out episodes that seemed like trances and could last for five minutes at a time. He tested negative for a seizure disorder, and since then we have been to several doctors who do believe that the vaccines probably did exacerbate his PANDAS and set off these new symptoms as well. He did not have any impetigo or any kind of rash or anything after the shots. In my opinion, you definitely made the right call in refusing the second shot.

Ellen

Hi Kathy, been meaning to get back to you. Will send a note but wanted to post here re Chicken Pox. My boys were fine on their 5th birthday checkup. Gave them the Chicken Pox vacination at that time. 5 weeks later they started showing symptoms of PANDAS. No other sign of strep infection. I was schocked when their ASO's were high. I will forever believe there was a connection between the Chicken Pox vacine and the boys PANDAS. Even our pediatrician (who has argued with me regrading vacinations in general for the last 5 years) admitted that it was very possible that there was a connection. Perhaps it was a weakend immune system due to the shot or perhaps it was the combination of the live vacine and a mild strep that worked together to cause this nightmare. All I can say is that my kids are done having any more vacines!

Kari

Our Dan! doc believes the chicken pox vaccine is the worst of them all (although I don't know what he thinks of prevnar since we were not seeing him at the time).

Susan

Ok not sure Im going to say this right but...

Does the chicken pox vac have eggs in it? (Allergy)

We had the vaccine and danny got the chicken pox so I guess it wasnt full proof unless hummm maybe it was a rash..

I ordered his pediatrician to make copies of all of his records.46 pages OMG hes 15 so obviously something was going on.And they are charging me 46$ 1$ a page.I guess its for the paper.

Melanie

My younger dd got shingles at age 5. She had the vaccine as a 1 year old. I heard they were seeing a lot more shingles in younger kids b/c of the chicken pox vaccine.

My friend mentioned that her 10 year old twins got chicken pox (vaccinated at age 1) but they had it many months apart from each other (so they didn't catch it from each other). She mentioned they were mild cases...and on only 1 side of their body. Ohh...I said, so they probably had shingles!

i definitely believe it's related. this year, he was up for a 2nd chicken pox vacc which i refused

smartyjones, what age is your child when they were do for the second chicken pox vaccine? and how did you go about refusing. I think my son will be up for that next year, can I just say no?

thanks

Faith

Each state has it's own vaccine laws. You can visit this link to see if you can claim a philosophical or religious exemption in your state.

http://www.nvic.org/vaccine-laws.aspx

But I don't know if a 2nd one is required in every state. One of my sons is in the third grade and I haven't been told anything about a 2nd vaccine yet (which I would refuse).

i definitely believe it's related. this year, he was up for a 2nd chicken pox vacc which i refused

smartyjones, what age is your child when they were do for the second chicken pox vaccine? and how did you go about refusing. I think my son will be up for that next year, can I just say no?

thanks

Faith

Hi Kathy, been meaning to get back to you. Will send a note but wanted to post here re Chicken Pox. My boys were fine on their 5th birthday checkup. Gave them the Chicken Pox vacination at that time. 5 weeks later they started showing symptoms of PANDAS. No other sign of strep infection. I was schocked when their ASO's were high. I will forever believe there was a connection between the Chicken Pox vacine and the boys PANDAS. Even our pediatrician (who has argued with me regrading vacinations in general for the last 5 years) admitted that it was very possible that there was a connection. Perhaps it was a weakend immune system due to the shot or perhaps it was the combination of the live vacine and a mild strep that worked together to cause this nightmare. All I can say is that my kids are done having any more vacines!

Kari

The same exact thing happend to my son...8 year old checkup he was fine, gave him the chickenpox booster...and a few weeks later full blown PANDAS (first episode)...tested positive for strep for which he had no symptoms and could have had for upwards of 8 weeks prior. He was also in the middle of an allergy attack at the time of the +strep culture...

thanks

Faith

Hi Faith,

I was just in with my son a couple of weeks ago. The dr said he needed a chiken pox booster and I refused. This was just before he was diagnosed with PANDAS but my gut told me not to mess with his system. Boy have I learned that my mom was always right about listening to your gut! I can sign a waiver for school as the other mother mentioned. I am in WI and all states are different. I have been told that there are not many states that you can refuse but I would look into it.

DeAnn

Our daughter received her booster chicken pox vaccine when she was 7 and in the first grade. Within 14 days of receiving the shot, she had shingles on her ear. At first they thought it was a staph infection as it was blistered, but as it continued to recur and tested negative for staph, it was determined that it was shingles. Merck was very interested in this reaction at the time, but by the time they were involved, the blistering was done and there were no fluid samples available to send to them. The area was inflamed and sore for over a month. During the same fall, our daughter had strep and suddenly her room was neat, OCD neat. She would become very upset if anyone moved anything out of place or if a friend played and moved anything. This lasted for a couple of months and at the time, I thought it was a "phase" and didn't connect it with the strep. In January of 2009, our daughter (8 at the time and in 2nd grade) had her big PANDAS response to strep. She went to bed a "normal" child one evening and woke the next morning consumed by irrational fears. I don't know if there was any connection at all with the varicella vaccine, but I've had thoughts that this was quite a big coincidence as others seem to have similar stories. If they ever require a third booster, she will definitely not get it!