ACN Latitudes Forums

Prednisone?

Char

Hi, Dr.Latimer still has not called my sons doctor yet? I think I might go try to see my sons doctor today, to see if possibly he will prescribe the months Prednisone. I am going to try anyways. It might be a waste of time but I feel like I have to try. My son is 8 years old and weighs 63 pounds? Anyone have any suggestions for dosing? I am sure that my sons doctor might know but, I just would like to know what the dosing is like for a months time?, Thanks Char...

Hi, Dr.Latimer still has not called my sons doctor yet? I think I might go try to see my sons doctor today, to see if possibly he will prescribe the months Prednisone. I am going to try anyways. It might be a waste of time but I feel like I have to try. My son is 8 years old and weighs 63 pounds? Anyone have any suggestions for dosing? I am sure that my sons doctor might know but, I just would like to know what the dosing is like for a months time?, Thanks Char...

Hi Char,

My dd is 9 and was 58 pounds. She took 5 1/4 ml of prednisolone, liquid form of prednisone. that was according to dr. k. good luck!

Thanks for the replies!! I couldn't see my son doctor on Friday but, I just got back from seeing him today. Before the appointment I email Dr.L about possibly giving me her suggestions for my sons treatment in an email and I would give it to my sons doctor. I was so happy Dr.L emailed me back with her suggestions. I took the email with me to the appointment. My sons doctor agreed to the months Prednisone and 3 more months of the Azith 250mg a day. He said he'll think about giving me more Azith after the 3 months and see where we are at. I am happy but so nervous right now. This will be my sons first steroid burst and I don't know how he'll respond. Are there any side effects I should be looking for with the Prednisone?? For others who have used it, did you see any side effects? I really hope this helps my son!!!! Any suggestions would be great:) Thanks

Thanks Vickie, I will keep everyone updated.

Faith, Dr.Latimer suggestion in the email was for the months steroids and antibiotics. She explained that the steroids would help the inflammation. I had to explain it in a little more detail to my sons doctor. I am just happy he agreed to it!!

I noticed that he wants my son to start at 60mg once a day for the first week. That seems high compared to others who started on 30 mg a day for the first week. Doesn't that seem like to high of a dose? Should I just start at 30mg and not at the 60mg a day? My son is 8 and weighs 63 pounds?

I am really concerned 60 mg once a day is too much. Does anyone have advice for me? Char...

So I decided after an email from Dr.L to start with 30mg a day of the Prednisone. I gave it to my son tonight and he said he feels hot inside and as he puts it, burning up inside feeling. Is this a side effect of the Prednisone? Also did anyones child who used the Prednisone, have trouble sleeping at night? Char...

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/mono-9383-PREDN...Prednisone+Oral

This site mentions to take prednisone before 9am if you are only doing one dose a day. I read at another site (which I can't seem to find now) that the timing has something to do with your body's release of cortisol...just going by memory though.

Prednisone is converted in your liver into prednisolone...if you have liver issues then prednisolone is prescribed to bypass the liver. A lot of liquid prednisones are actually prednisolone---I have asked three doctors (including Dr. Latimer) and they have said that they are equally effective.

Make sure you are having your son eat/drink with the medication.

My DD6 was about 42lbs when Dr. Latimer prescribed pred for her--the first week dose was 10 mg 2 times a day.

We saw some raging, but she was beginning to act that way just before we started the pred, wieght gain was not a concern for us because we were having to force her to eat--that stopped by the third week on the pred...and just after we stopped it she had a couple of pimples on her face which cleared within a week. She also has full cheeks naturally, but we think they were a littile larger toward the end.

Good luck. Hang in there--we saw some improvements throughout the month, but it was at the very end that we saw a dramatic improvement, and so we continued for two more weeks at 5mg a day....just to be sure we fully addressed the inflammaion.

~Karen

My son had nightsweats for the first two nights on Prednisone. He has those with PANDAS flares though so I don't know which caused it. I was so desperate to start the steroid I started it at night but have been creeping the dose back to morning and now give it at 7am. He is doing MUCH better and it is working.