ACN Latitudes Forums

Sudden OCD Flare

Chemar

Chemar,

I know you have said before your son doesn't have any known food/environmental allergies and w/ chemical sensitivities.

Since allergies can be developed later in life, do you think food/environmental sensitivities may cause the OCD to flare? I have been poking around OCD info., and there is a food/environmtal connection. With sensitivity rather than allergy, the physical symptoms can be very mild & delay, so it can be hard to make a connection. Also, people w/deeper disease disturbance, the allergy symptoms do not manifest on the surface but rather manifest in the mind, coming out as OCD.

Just a thought!

Pat

thanks Patty

no I dont believe that is the case as his diet is exemplary and should he have developed food intolerance, I dont feel we would still be seeing this marked improvement as he is still eating the same as he was before the flare.

this flare wasnt gradual...it was a full blown and very sudden explosion!

I do feel the chemical exposure to a freshly pesticide garden at a friend's house contributed to this waxing tho

freaky or coincidence? ..... I can attest to seeing my son's first tic (a facial grimace) when he was 3 1/2. ........and the month was November....... :)

Faith

That is freaky b/c we saw the first tics in the first week of November, too, 2 years ago! We are having a bit of anxiety waxing right now and I was wondering the same thing but that is a whole story that I'm too tired to tell as we just got back from Mexico(ds was home with Grandma and hence, the increased anxiety!).

Bonnie

I wonder too if something in the way their body/mind functions makes them more susceptible to other stuff at this time of year?

just reading thru our notes ...it is always the last quarter of the year that seems the worst

my son's recognizable "onset" was in late December

but our notes show Oct always seems to have a spike, although the first year he was on the meds, he went into the hospital in crisis late December, about a year since his "onset"

His birthday is in early December

Full moon is this Sunday...so just hoping he stays stablilized. The upping of the inositol really helped. he kept it high for 2 days and back down now again

sadly, as happens with stress, he had a mild Crohn's flare following all this ):

nope, tics are pretty stable...only the OCD flaring and kinda triggering those tics that morph with it

he has more than likely been exposed to illness at various activities etc...but he hasnt shown any symptoms of anything.

I specifically asked if he knew if any of his friends had strep but he didnt think so. seems mainly colds and flu doing the rounds here. He has no sore throat or fever or anything else and even tho the last wisdom tooth is emerging, it doesnt seem to be bothering him

he currently has an online job and not at college yet so he isnt exposed to workplace or school bugs at present.

He personally feels it is "harvest moon" stuff that affects him at this time of year. he is acutely aware of the moon's phases and actually ups his own supps as full moons occur

he is back up to the 16gm Inositol each day and definitely feeling the benefit

So, how's things now Cheri? I saw that the true full moon will be happening tomorrow. Our naturopath has ds on 1gram(10,000mg, I probably did the math on this wrong) of glycine daily right now and I think we're seeing the benefits of it but it's not completely back to normal here yet. We're having at least one anxious issue daily. Guess that's better than it happening morning, noon, and night...right?? LOL!

Bonnie

he's a lot better than he was when this flare started but still not back to the stable place he likes to be...so yup, we are hopeful for a calming of the "edge" he has been feeling to return once the moon has done its show tomorrow

I am trying to talk ds into starting NAC as I really think he will benefit from it, but he is reluctant to try anything new until this has waned sooooo

i will report back if he agrees and on the results we see

he's a lot better than he was when this flare started but still not back to the stable place he likes to be...so yup, we are hopeful for a calming of the "edge" he has been feeling to return once the moon has done its show tomorrow

I am trying to talk ds into starting NAC as I really think he will benefit from it, but he is reluctant to try anything new until this has waned sooooo

i will report back if he agrees and on the results we see

Good to hear. I'm really hoping we get back to stable sometime soon, too, b/c ds is pretty miserable right now and it's so hard to see him suffering with this anxiety!

We are going through a bad spell as well - but this post got me thinking. About two months ago (when school started - which I thought would send my son's tics (9 yrs old) through the roof), my son's tics were very minimal. My girlfriend sells all the "magnetic products" and gave us a bunch of stuff to try (magnetic bedding, water filter, and a ionic air filter). I saw a decrease in tics but just chalked it up to a natural wax/wane phase. But when since the products were returned to my friend, my son's snorting tic has been horrible. Now, I am wondering if the ionic air filter is what was keeping the tics down since it is supposed it emit negative ions into the room. We used it right by his bed.

I am such a pessimist and never thought that any of the stuff would have any effect on my son's tics, but even me, when times are bad, I start looking for a magic bullet. As with many of you, I would pay gobs of money to seem some improvement. I will get that ionic air filter back into my son's room and report back.

I did a brief search on the effect of the full moon/positive/negative ions and it seems like there might be some validity to this theory.

Jodi