ACN Latitudes Forums

Sudden OCD Flare

Chemar

my son has been in a very stable place with his tics & OCD (as well as the Crohn's) for some time now

but sadly the OCD kinda flared again

we have been keeping records of his triggers for a number of years, and one of the things we have noted is that October into November seems to be a trigger time for him :(

we arent sure if it's the harvest moon phases at this time of year (I have mentioned before that we do see a correlation with waxing moon, and CSP posted interesting info on that recently)

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5634

or is it "something in the air" at this time of year or what??

wondering if anyone else has noted this?

ps he does have other triggers at present...last wisdom tooth almost fully up, and an accidental exposure to a friend's pesticided garden last friday...)

but still, we also have our notes showing a clear correlation between this time of year and OCD waxing

Hi Faith

no sickness...at least not that we are aware.

it is both obsessive and compulsive and the kind that easily morphs with the tics

it isnt anywhere near as bad as we have seen in the past...but still bothering him big time

Hi Faith

no sickness...at least not that we are aware.

it is both obsessive and compulsive and the kind that easily morphs with the tics

it isnt anywhere near as bad as we have seen in the past...but still bothering him big time

Hi Chemar - have you already tried ERP (Exposure & Ritual Prevention) therapy? There is a great book for kids called "What to Do when Your Brain Gets Stuck". It's a workbook that teaches the basic tools.

Thanks Meg'sMom

yes, we have. He had it as part of his CBT

son is almost 20yo now and been dealing with OCD since he was very young so we have accumulated quite a library of books and resources and methods :angry:

he has excellent coping skills, thanks to the CBT he underwent, and as mentioned above, it is much much better than it was years ago before we started the supps and CBT etc

I am mostly looking for input on whether anyone else notices OCD flares around this time of year as it is a pattern we have noticed.

I notice it with my daughter, but I thought it might be due to stress -- this is about the time first quarter ends at school -- lots of tests, social events, etc. And, even though my daughter isn't ill, everyone around her is -- so perhaps her immune system is working overtime?

I don't deal with too much ocd, more ocd tendencies, so that's a little blurry, BUT as far as time of year goes, if you recall, I did report on the board that my son was over obsessing about "erasing", and this started to get obvious in around November I think, because I recall finally talking to the teacher about it right before Christmas vacation. I feel like it has gotten better, mostly due to writing in pen, which I think sort of took away the compulsion to erase just because he couldn't, and maybe some time passage. we did have some therapy, but I really don't think it had any bearing on, for she mostly beleived it was anxiety related and wound up giving us more "parenting skills" than anything else.

Cheri, are you sure he doesn't react when others are sick around him, or maybe he was sick a couple months ago? Do his tics also kick up at the same time?

Faith

nope, tics are pretty stable...only the OCD flaring and kinda triggering those tics that morph with it

he has more than likely been exposed to illness at various activities etc...but he hasnt shown any symptoms of anything.

I specifically asked if he knew if any of his friends had strep but he didnt think so. seems mainly colds and flu doing the rounds here. He has no sore throat or fever or anything else and even tho the last wisdom tooth is emerging, it doesnt seem to be bothering him

he currently has an online job and not at college yet so he isnt exposed to workplace or school bugs at present.

He personally feels it is "harvest moon" stuff that affects him at this time of year. he is acutely aware of the moon's phases and actually ups his own supps as full moons occur

he is back up to the 16gm Inositol each day and definitely feeling the benefit

Hi Chemar,

Yes, I would say my son has a tic increase this time of year. We do not see too much OCD unless his vocals are an OCD type tic and I just don't know the difference.

I remember thinking last year how the moon was so big and how it rises only 30 min. after the sun sets in the fall that I was sure it had something to do with his increase.

The only other thing I could add about the positive and neg. ions is a lot of plants send out neg ions and maybe with the plants dying off this time of year that does not help with the positive ions being sent to earth by the moon. Just throwing our moods off, adding stress. I really don't know but I do see this time of year has always been a problem.

CP

my son has been in a very stable place with his tics & OCD (as well as the Crohn's) for some time now

but sadly the OCD kinda flared again

we have been keeping records of his triggers for a number of years, and one of the things we have noted is that October into November seems to be a trigger time for him :mellow:

we arent sure if it's the harvest moon phases at this time of year (I have mentioned before that we do see a correlation with waxing moon, and CSP posted interesting info on that recently)

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5634

or is it "something in the air" at this time of year or what??

wondering if anyone else has noted this?

ps he does have other triggers at present...last wisdom tooth almost fully up, and an accidental exposure to a friend's pesticided garden last friday...)

but still, we also have our notes showing a clear correlation between this time of year and OCD waxing

OMG us too. Im never sure what it is but even when danny was little this is when he would have the croup real bad. I remember stocking up on all of the breathing meds.Also Danny has had 2 rage attacks this week and he is itching his eyes alot.He noticed the moon last night said it looks cool.Im a middle school teacher and I havent noticed the kids to off the wall but ..

We were told when the holidays are approaching ,Halloweens comming but hes 15 and were past that excitement stuff. I think theres some allergy that affects certain triggers.

Good Post

Have a good day

Chemar, I thought the same thing when I read they were going to blast the moon. I got a little angry wondering what the heck are we doing messing with the moon.

Mel, from what I understand there are higher reports of "road rage" during the full moon. So I could see tempers in our kids rising during the waxing of the moon.

CP

I find it interesting about the timing. Was thinking we should do a poll of how many people saw first symptoms in Oct/Nov. On my separate post, I wrote that my 2 yr old started blinking and sort of readjusting in her seat repeatedly (when here one TV show comes on). This all started this month. She was getting over a cold when it started as well, so I don't know if the bug season plays into it - i.e. cold/ flu/ allergies/ mold/ strep.

Another newbie mom just posted that her 3 yr old is showing eye blinking for the first time this week too. So it got me thinking...