ACN Latitudes Forums

Do I Have PANDAS on the brain or is it possible... my other son might

sf_mom

Interesting.... By the way, I'm originally from Minnesota and of Danish/Dutch/Swedish/Norwegian decent, the climates are very similar with huge migration from those countries to Minnesota in the mid 1800s. I also believe there is a lot more strep bacteria/flu viruses in colder climates that maybe Samolian's not genetically predisposed to handle.

Anyway, my hope is in the next ten years there will be answers.

I also think lowered Vitamin D levels (possibly pre-natally, possibly in infancy) due increased use of sunscreen and more time inside may be playing a role. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....in-d-and-autism There's lots more out there if you google vitamin d and autism.

I also personally believe the hygeine hypothesis (we're too "sanitary" nowadays, kids aren't exposed to enough germs as infants so their immune system doesn't get properly "trained" and they develop allergies, autoimmune dz's as children) explains at least some of the rise in autism. Here's a paper on that: http://www.grc.nia.nih.gov/branches/rrb/dna/pubs/aaihh.pdf

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.... By the way, I'm originally from Minnesota and of Danish/Dutch/Swedish/Norwegian decent, the climates are very similar with huge migration from those countries to Minnesota in the mid 1800s. I also believe there is a lot more strep bacteria/flu viruses in colder climates that maybe Samolian's not genetically predisposed to handle.

Anyway, my hope is in the next ten years there will be answers.

I also think lowered Vitamin D levels (possibly pre-natally, possibly in infancy) due increased use of sunscreen and more time inside may be playing a role. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....in-d-and-autism There's lots more out there if you google vitamin d and autism.

I also personally believe the hygeine hypothesis (we're too "sanitary" nowadays, kids aren't exposed to enough germs as infants so their immune system doesn't get properly "trained" and they develop allergies, autoimmune dz's as children) explains at least some of the rise in autism. Here's a paper on that: http://www.grc.nia.nih.gov/branches/rrb/dna/pubs/aaihh.pdf

I see the mention of pink eye... my pandas ds had pink eye a few years ago and the dr. automatically checked him for strep.. sure enough, he had strep throat. She said sometimes they come together which was why she checked for the strep. Is that common?

thanks erica,

I'm still trying to figure things out, namely put all the "early years" together. I'm pretty sure my son had some pink eye somewhere when he was youngr, I gotta look thru his records (I had the docs office give me a copy of his file), but who can read all that scribble? I know we had that tobramycyn drops a couple times. I am not aware of him having strep any time, and everytime I am on the hunt, he swabs negative.

Okay, I looked thru my son's file and it shows "conjunctivitis" ... L eye red, oozing" on a visit of May 2003. I can't read it all but from what I can make out, I think I see the word 'Tics", so maybe I reported something at that time. . ..... the prior visit is March 2003, with my complaint listed as wet cough, voice cracking and raspy, fever... I think I see the word bronchitis? can't read what she prescribed but it looks like D.... DX? 1/2 tsp ev. 6 hrs.....

I cannot recall if we ever did strep tests at that time, but maybe with the cough visit, altho I pretty much do not recall him ever having strep at that age. I do know his first tics were between the above two visits, and during those next couple years, he went thru a few of the common tics fairly rapidly over a short period. I didn't spend alot of time on the computer in those days because I was scared to death and knew these were signs of tourettes. I spent most of my time crying in Church......

My point in reporting this here is to ask if anyone feels this could have started the whole thing, altho I cannot attest to "strep" being diagnosed at this time.

Faith