ACN Latitudes Forums

Sleep Issues

Reading some of the information from the Handle Institute website (recommended by FixIt in the Dr. Sims thread), for those with trouble sleeping, they recommend having something else in the room that makes noise, whether it is a dehumidifier or music. The idea is to have something constant to get used to, so your brain is less bothered by other sounds that come up, like the refrigerator going on and off.

With the recent increase in perfumes in the men's restroom at work, I am having violent nightmares regularly, and also trouble staying asleep. (Fluorescent lights do the same thing to me, by the way, just bizarre stuff.) After last night started out the same, or perhaps worse, then recent nights, a lot of nightmares and a lot of waking up, I moved to the couch in the living room where I could put some light music on, fairly low volume, just enough to hear. It was gentle peaceful music without singing, but from songs that are normally performed with words. (Channel 820 on DirecTV, for anyone really interested, called "Escape".) I still did wake up frequently, so it really didn't help with that, but I don't think I had any nightmares with the music on.

I will try again for at least a couple/few more nights, perhaps a little louder volume. But, was curious, if anyone else had tried anything like this.

Michael

Michael,

how about some of those CD's that are like "sounds of the ocean" or "sounds of rain", stuff like that? they probably have them in bookstores I would think. I've actually seen some in the larger dollar stores (like Dollar King if you have that) in the stationary ailes. If not, you might find something like that in Bed Bath and Beyond or Target stores. they have the music on display and you can listen to it. maybe you'll find something there.

Faith

Michael

A few months back I ordered off ebay a subliminal tape to help reduce tics. He listens to it each night...4 tracks...3 have ocean sounds 1 no sound, each track 10 minutes. He loves them, asks for it each night. We started for a couple weeks having it on all night by repeating one track because he didn't like the quiet time on hte last track. Now we do only let it on for the one full set, unless he asks for more. Not sure if that was a help of his tics being so much less or something else, but it relaxes him and he likes it so we just do it. We recently put a hepafilter in his room and he takes an allergy pill so like I said not sure what it was to hlep reduce the tics......Maybe this would help you relax also.

Mary

Generally the nature type CD's and tapes are really bad ideas for me. I was in a bit of a traumatic incident a few years ago (okay, 3rd anniversary is this Friday, but who's counting), nature and water and waves were involved, and I nearly drowned. I keep working on getting over that, but still, at this point, those kind of CD's won't be good for me.

I tried something similar to the subliminal stuff you mention, Mary, a couple years ago. It is Holosync. They make CD's for meditation where mostly what you hear is rain but there are other sounds that put your mind into a state of meditation, if you can stay awake. They also make more typical subliminal CD's too. But I would way too often become conscious or wake up in a state where my breathing had stopped and stuggle to breathe, kind of like sleep apnea, but I have since been diagnosed with inflamation with esophagus, and it appears now to be somewhat related to that.

Michael, I was going to suggest one of those holistic water fountains...my son uses it and soothes him to sleep...but then saw your trauma/water thing so no good for you

btw in addition to pursuing that MCS dx maybe also consider one for sensory integration dysfunction as that may help you get accommodations needed at work too

Hi Micheal.....here are some of the other vestibular things i mentioned....i'm guessing it woud take at least 3-4 weeks(maybe 8)(if dealing with this a long time it will take time) a couple times a day to see resultss JMHO ,,,,,are there any therapists out there???

http://www.celebratethechildren.org/Pages/...rationInfo.html

http://www.developmentaldelay.net/page.cfm/209

http://www.livestrong.com/article/14670-se...ome-and-school/