ACN Latitudes Forums

honey, chocolate, spirulena algae, elderberry,honey

MARYANN

Funny, but I've read articles about the cytokine storm and read other natural doctors touting the elderberry and echinacea as good alternative preventives and treatments. Honestly, at this point maybe doing nothing is the right answer???? <_< I just don't know!

Here's one I read recently: http://fourfoldhealing.com/2006/12/01/flu-...tment-dec-2006/

And, here's another touting elderberry despite the cytokine store: http://www.naturalnews.com/026354_elderber...une_system.html

and an interesting discussion after this article with a few links that you might find interesting where herbalists are discussing the balancing of immune suppressing vs immune stimulating herbs, etc. http://www.rutlandbio.com/2009/04/30/herba...ea-for-pig-flu/

I've also read some articles that say the same thing you found so who's right? Our own naturopath recommends the esberitox(echinacea) supplement and said he's not sold on elderberry, though. Hmmm, some things to think about, huh?

Bonnie

A nurse friend of mine sent me an e-mail of some tips to help with the swine flu. Gargle with warm salt water every day, use a netti pot to clean out the nose, if you don't have a netti pot one could just swab the inside of their nose with warm salt water.

cp

I wanted to add that many of the articles that point out that you should not take the echinacea or elderberry do say to take skullcap and turmeric. I take a product called Zyflamend by New Chapter for joint inflammation that contains those ingredients along with rosemary, ginger, holy basil, green tea, hu zhang, barberry, oregano, and chinese goldthread. This may be a good supplement to research??? What do you think, Maryann?

B

A nurse friend of mine sent me an e-mail of some tips to help with the swine flu. Gargle with warm salt water every day, use a netti pot to clean out the nose, if you don't have a netti pot one could just swab the inside of their nose with warm salt water.

cp

Our GP recommended a saline nasal spray called Simply Saline for us wimps who can't figure out how to use a Neti pot properly...ahem, that would be me! <_< I buy one for each member of the family and put our initials on the cap so we all have our own. My dh uses a neti pot daily, though, too!

I wanted to add that many of the articles that point out that you should not take the echinacea or elderberry do say to take skullcap and turmeric. I take a product called Zyflamend by New Chapter for joint inflammation that contains those ingredients along with rosemary, ginger, holy basil, green tea, hu zhang, barberry, oregano, and chinese goldthread. This may be a good supplement to research??? What do you think, Maryann?

B

Hi Bonnie

I was just looking at that Zyflamend by New Chapter yesterday and I was thinking of purchasing it at iherb on my next order. I had the flu in January and I used Sinus and Respiratory by New Chapter which has Garlic, Oil oregano, Enchiancea,elderberry,goldenseal, Anodographis,green tea astraglas, melissa, mryrh,wintergreen,ginger,eucalptus,peppermint,meadowsweet extract,purple willow. I actually thought that worked pretty good.

I took that three times a day when I had the flu and gave my daughter one. I might take it again for the flu but I would not give it to my daughter just incase the information is correct about the elderberry and Enchiancea in that article. How do you feel that Zyflamend by New Chaper worked, would you recommend it? Im also thinking of purchasing Olive leaf, I just have to do some research on low Bloodpressure for my daughter.

Hi CSP

I use a netti pot only when I really have to. I did use it when I had the flu and I got my daughter to use it to. It does work I just hate doing it!!

IS a good probiotic you think beneficial for the flu, I was thinking of purchasing mindlinx. I'm not getting it for the flu but if I remember correctly a good priobiotic is good to take in the winter to prevent cold and flu. Is that correct?