ACN Latitudes Forums

Blood Test Results - So Confused

:) I am heartbroken, I took my son in for a series of blood test to check his Strep Titers, Antibodies etc. and the lab did not have enough blood to complete all the testing. We were at the doctor's office for 1 1/2 hours trying to calm my son down enough to get the his first blood draw ever. We think he has an active strep infection right now, but culture came back negative because he was on Zithromax for the last month. They were able to get ASO so that is important right?

My doctor is away on a trip and cannot interpret the results right now.

The question I have is if his Sereology ASO came back negative could he still have step? It is my understanding that if he just got the strep it could be a few weeks before those antibodies increase? He is now on Augmentin because we think he built up an immunity to the Zithromax because he was on it for so long.

Can someone explain exactly what blood tests we need to get to check for PANDAS. I am so confused. I have 10 lab sheets in front of me and I am lost.

Thank you...

momtocole,

I think you should post this on the PANDAS board. they will have more info for you.

Oops, thank you so much for pointing that out. I went to the wrong forum by accident. I kept wondering why nobody was responding.

Thanks so much...

• 2 weeks later...

Normal strep titers don't mean much b/c lots of PANDAS children don't get elevated titers. Yes, you can definitely have an active strep infection while getting normal strep titers. You can also have an active strep infection and get a negative throat culture b/c strep can be elsewhere in the body.

If you want to post your lab results I can try to help interpret them for you. What dose of Augmentin is he on right now and how much does he weigh? How much Zithromax was he on?

Colleen

• 2 weeks later...
Normal strep titers don't mean much b/c lots of PANDAS children don't get elevated titers. Yes, you can definitely have an active strep infection while getting normal strep titers. You can also have an active strep infection and get a negative throat culture b/c strep can be elsewhere in the body.

If you want to post your lab results I can try to help interpret them for you. What dose of Augmentin is he on right now and how much does he weigh? How much Zithromax was he on?

Colleen

Dear Colleen,

Sorry that I did not respond until now. I accidentally posted on the OCD forum instead of PANDAS so I reposted there.

To answer your question my son is on 1000 mg. of Augmentin twice per day. So 2000 mg total of liquid.

We have noticed a HUGE reduction in his OCD symptoms on that higher "saving sammy" dose. Don't want to mislead, he still has major OCD, but it is less intense. He is not as volatile. Certain OCD behaviors are being shed and he is not as exhausted.

I will post his recent blood test results, I am still so confused. It will help to discuss with immunologist on November 4th for sure.

His ASO was actually negative, no number at all,

Below are the other results that I am confused about:

My dr. ordered quite a few tests for my son and I think he ordered some that were not accurate for strep/pandas. He is not very knowledgeable about PANDAS and charges me $175 (cash) every time I go in, because he is a DAN doctor.

We have a phone consult with Dr. K coming up next week, but I wanted to see if anyone here understood these results.

Results:

Anti-Dnase B Strep Antibodies was: 1:120

The comments say:

Preschool child should be < 1:60

School Child <1:170

Adult <1 :85

My son is 12 years old and is in 6th grade.

It seems that he is on the low end of this test for his age. What is confusing is I thought it would be a whole number not a ratio.

The next one is HHV-6, IgG Antibodies, Quant

Results:

1:80

The comments say:

Negative = 1:20

Equivocal = 1:20 - 1:80

Positive = >1:160

Seroology ASO was negative, no number given

IgA was 118 rage was 53-204

IgE was 59 range was 1 - 183

igM was 53 range was 31 - 179

Clinically was diagnosed with PANDAS he has had many step infections and had a rapid onset of OCD/tics with his first infection in 2004

Strep Pneumanie blood test came back with him failing 6 of 7 strep strains (vaccines)

I know I should be more patient, we are waiting for Dr. Cunninghams Cam Kinaise results too. I am just so anxious to get him in for IVIG, but according to these ranges he doesn't even look like he has PANDAS right?

So confused....

Thanks, Judy...