ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS child with flu. Mom very worried

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe there's more than one thing going on. And it is normal for a child who has something like the fu to do better than get hit again. That happened w/ 2 of kids last year. Sick for a few days, thought it passed, then...boom...sick again.

At this point, I'd start the z pack. Maybe ther'es just too many things the body is fighting. Also, if it is H1N1, you don't want there to be another underlying infection. Have you done a complete disinfection of the house and their things to prevent reinfection? I've been trailing my son w/ disinfectant and doing laundry non stop. Every day, I'm washing his sheets, making sure he puts clean pajamas on, etc.

Colleen, my son's fever is gone but is cough is still there too. Hopefully, the school won't send him home. I'm following the rules. He's been fever free for well over 24 hours. He feels completely fine except for that cough. I gave him some decongestant to hopefully loosen up anything that might be there. Granted, it sounds like a dry cough, but just in case. That's the thing w/ stopping H1N1 testing. How are they suppose to know what these kids have? It makes the decision process about school harder.

I was told by my doc and the school nurse said the health department concuured, that if anyone tests positive for the flu, it is H1N1 at this point.

If you have had the flu, temporarily get better, then get worse, just be on the lookout for "rebound illness". They are seeing this with the flu. Could be a secondary infection or could be viralo pneumonia.

Colleen

Colleen, how is your son doing? My dd is so much better already, they said that she caught a very mild case of H1N1. She can actually go back to school tomorrow. I think I'll keep her antibiotics up for a while, hopefully that rebound thing won't get us! I thought dd8 caught it but she was just having a PANDAS related episode which I assumed was the flu. Hope all is going better for you!

That is great that your daughter is better! Today is the 3rd day of his flu and his temp has stopped spiking. I was giving him tylenol and ibuprofen, alternating every 3 hours, and his temp was still 102-103. He has not had ibuprofen for 8 hours and it is only 100. His cough is really bad, his throat very sore, and he has really bad laryngitis. He can only whisper. My 3 year old has his 3 year well check up tomorrow and I am so tempted to bring him in with us for her to check his lungs. I am sure they would not be so keen on me bringing in "flu boy" though. My 6 year old just came home from school without symptoms, but this came on so quick, we will see!

Colleen

That is great that your daughter is better! Today is the 3rd day of his flu and his temp has stopped spiking. I was giving him tylenol and ibuprofen, alternating every 3 hours, and his temp was still 102-103. He has not had ibuprofen for 8 hours and it is only 100. His cough is really bad, his throat very sore, and he has really bad laryngitis. He can only whisper. My 3 year old has his 3 year well check up tomorrow and I am so tempted to bring him in with us for her to check his lungs. I am sure they would not be so keen on me bringing in "flu boy" though. My 6 year old just came home from school without symptoms, but this came on so quick, we will see!

Colleen

Oh I am sorry he is so sick still! Poor baby. I hope your 6 yr old does not get it. Hang in there and I'll be thinking ofyou.

susan