ACN Latitudes Forums

frequent bowel movements and PANDAS?

I was just thinking back to my son's very first noticeable episode (before we knew about PANDAS), and one of his symptoms was having very frequent bowel movements. He had to go at the most inopportune times. Many times I would have to stop the car at the nearest location to find a bathroom. He didn't have diahrrea, but stool was a bit loose. This went on for a couple of months. He also complained of stomach aches. Is this a sumptom of PANDAS, or was this just a coincidence that he had the tummy issues? (I read that urinary frequency is a symptom, but bowel frequency?) Just curious.

Was he put on an antibiotic at the time? Maybe he received an antibiotic and that caused some diarrhea..?? I will say this, my son tends to get the stomach flu before the full blown strep throat (although my son vomits instead of diarrhea). Maybe it is like a stomach flu thing?

Stephanie

I was just thinking back to my son's very first noticeable episode (before we knew about PANDAS), and one of his symptoms was having very frequent bowel movements. He had to go at the most inopportune times. Many times I would have to stop the car at the nearest location to find a bathroom. He didn't have diahrrea, but stool was a bit loose. This went on for a couple of months. He also complained of stomach aches. Is this a sumptom of PANDAS, or was this just a coincidence that he had the tummy issues? (I read that urinary frequency is a symptom, but bowel frequency?) Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...

No, no antibiotics because we didn't know about PANDAS yet. He just had loose stool a lot. We would even have to stop on the way to school to find a bathroom. He also had other behvaiors, but he never presented with a sore throat, so we didn't see the connection. Just wondering since frequent urination seems to be a symptom.

Meg has tummy issues everytime she starts an episode. We have found that for some reason, she generates excess levels of stomach acid during an episode. We did not have loose stools, but I would think every kid would be a little different. For Meg, it seemed like her food would digest too quickly, and she had a lot of bowel movements & was desperately hungry all the time (but often scared to eat). She would taste "throw-up" in her mouth from what we now know is reflux. Untreated, this led to Peptic Ulcers. She is on Prevacid for last 2 months & will continue another 2 - then we'll see if we can wean her off. We will now treat this immediately if she has another episode. My gut (ha, ha!) is that she has strep in her stomach, but we have not confirmed this with stool testing. Next time (God forbid) we would test that.