ACN Latitudes Forums

Please help, totally overwhelmed in trying to find a doctor

We live in Austin, TX and I've gone through the list of doctors on the aaem.com site. I'm overwhelmed with trying to figure out who to call for an evaluation appt. I've read Sheila Rogers book, that is why I thought to pursue an evaluation through an aaem doctor vs a children's neurologist, but how do I choose one that is 1) focused on children, 2) any good, 3) not a quack.

None are local to me, so requires 2-3 hours of travel. 10 year old son has had tics since Jan. and they've gone from neck jerking to coughing to eye rolling, and back and forth. Pediatrician told us to wait it out. Husband and teacher believe it is stress related (we moved out of state last fall, hard on my 10 year old who doesn't ever talk about his feelings).

I'm a wreck.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

We live in Austin, TX and I've gone through the list of doctors on the aaem.com site. I'm overwhelmed with trying to figure out who to call for an evaluation appt. I've read Sheila Rogers book, that is why I thought to pursue an evaluation through an aaem doctor vs a children's neurologist, but how do I choose one that is 1) focused on children, 2) any good, 3) not a quack.

None are local to me, so requires 2-3 hours of travel. 10 year old son has had tics since Jan. and they've gone from neck jerking to coughing to eye rolling, and back and forth. Pediatrician told us to wait it out. Husband and teacher believe it is stress related (we moved out of state last fall, hard on my 10 year old who doesn't ever talk about his feelings).

I'm a wreck.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

I'm sure somebody going to come on soon. I'm not very good at giving advise but ill try. I asked myself if I had to do it all over again would I go to a neurologist. The answer is yes only to rule things out. After you rules things out and they want to give you medications then its your decision what you want to do. My daughters nerologist was talking about medications and wanted to see her back in 6 months. I took that time to change her diet and makesure she takes her vitamins and shes fine now. I would go to a aaem doctor or D.O.. My daughters pediatric doctor did think I was a quack when I told him my daughters ticcing got better with change of diet and no msg, and artificial flavors. He thought I was nuts and I changed doctors.

Hope somebody else comes on soon I wish you luck and do what you believe is right

I apologize I just read your first post again and read it all wrong. I first went to pediatric MD who referreed my daughter to go to nerologist .

I think your making the right decision going to aaem doctor first . I went to aaem doctor after the nerologist because I did not like the pedietric MD looking at me like I was a quack for saying change of diet helps. The only thing the reguler MD was saying to me is its from stress. I know stress is a major factor for tics but this doctor refused to believe anything else can cause tics. I am so sorry if I confused you and welcome,you will find alot of good information here. This site has helped me so much and I'm sure it will help you to. Now you know why im not good at giving advise. I remember when this first happened and I know how your feeling it is scary. Things will get better and Shelia book helped me alot. I apologize for confusing you and take it easy.

Sometimes I have to read things three time before I get it, I just recently find out that goes with OCD which I know I have.

I'm not from Texas im sorry and I hope somebody helps you soon!!!!

Hi braveheart

yes, finding a good doctor who thinks outside the textbook is a challenge

I looked in the DAN doctor registry online and found this guy

Jerrold J. Kartzinel, M.D. *

Thoughtful House Center for Children

3001 Bee Caves Road

Austin, Texas 78746

tel: 512-732-8400

I have no idea if he has experience treating tics or anything else about him, so this is not a recommendation!

But you could call the center and ask whether he has treated children with tics,Tourette etc etc and then decide whether to make an appointment. You could also check into the other physicians working at that center

if I come across any others, I will let you know