ACN Latitudes Forums

time to fatten up

vita

My dd has exhibited tics from Jan this year. I've done the OAT test, the Great Labs Allergy Test. We've taken her off dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, chicken, prawns and anything that has salicylates in them. Now, I have a 7 year old who is only 41 pounds. She's been on this diet since February this year and I can tell that she's sick and tired of it. I am too and I'm wondering if it'll be safe to re-introduce the offending foods. Problem is every time I psyche myself into starting, she'll have a new tic/her tic will become more pronounced. Those who have reintroduced the offending foods, how did you get it to be ok? Was it easy to accomplish? Can it be done?I'm dying to have a normal life for her. Right now, my family never eats out.

Even though we have modified her diet, her tics are still there.They have lessened somewhat though.

I look at my dd and I see a really bony child. How can I fatten her up? She is taking amaranth/quinoa spaghetti, millet, potatoes, rice, macaroni - all home-cooked. No junk food at all. No cakes, hardly any sugar, Nuttelex Lite twice a week and some fruits. She takes beef, lamb and fish for meats. Vegetables - cabbage, celery, beans, lettuce, green leafy vegetables, bean sprouts, onions. She is also taking a whole host of supplements - vitamin c, super nu thera, magnesium, calcium, taurine, glutamine, enzymes and probiotics.

Please help. I really can't bear to see my kid suffering. I really want to fatten her up. And of course, I'd like her tics to disappear just like how they sneaked up on us one rainy day.

Vita

Use extra virgin coconut oil. Make sure it is non-hydrogenated. The hydrogenated coconut oil is bad. EVCO is actually a healthy saturated fat. Organic is preferable. You can google "coconut oil" and "health benefits" to find out more.

My dd has exhibited tics from Jan this year. I've done the OAT test, the Great Labs Allergy Test. We've taken her off dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, chicken, prawns and anything that has salicylates in them. Now, I have a 7 year old who is only 41 pounds. She's been on this diet since February this year and I can tell that she's sick and tired of it. I am too and I'm wondering if it'll be safe to re-introduce the offending foods. Problem is every time I psyche myself into starting, she'll have a new tic/her tic will become more pronounced. Those who have reintroduced the offending foods, how did you get it to be ok? Was it easy to accomplish? Can it be done?I'm dying to have a normal life for her. Right now, my family never eats out.

Even though we have modified her diet, her tics are still there.They have lessened somewhat though.

I look at my dd and I see a really bony child. How can I fatten her up? She is taking amaranth/quinoa spaghetti, millet, potatoes, rice, macaroni - all home-cooked. No junk food at all. No cakes, hardly any sugar, Nuttelex Lite twice a week and some fruits. She takes beef, lamb and fish for meats. Vegetables - cabbage, celery, beans, lettuce, green leafy vegetables, bean sprouts, onions. She is also taking a whole host of supplements - vitamin c, super nu thera, magnesium, calcium, taurine, glutamine, enzymes and probiotics.

Please help. I really can't bear to see my kid suffering. I really want to fatten her up. And of course, I'd like her tics to disappear just like how they sneaked up on us one rainy day.

Vita

Vita, hi, welcome,

I'm in the same boat as you. My son has always been a light weight, he is 10 1/2 now and weighs about 51 lbs. he never gains any significant weight every year.

Did your girl lose weight, or is just small to begin with? Did you eliminate those foods per the Igg allergy test? I presently eliminate dairy and corn/corn syrup, no packaged junk foods, etc. I have not done this religously over the years, however.

My feeling is you have to gauge it. If you have been eliminating this since February, I think you are seeing all you are going to see in terms of better/worse. It doesn't necessarily mean that introducing these foods again will cause the tics or even have an influence on them. I have tried no gluten, but did not feel it had much bearing on the tics, and when he does have some bread, it doesn't seem to be a problem. So go ahead and introduce something. If it doesn't seem a problem, keep on for more than a week and if things stay the same, it should be okay. You'll have to gauge how important the elimination is in relation to her having the foods, for weight gain AND also in terms of her not being so stressed out about not being able to have some favorite foods just like the other kids. Its a battle, don't I know. My son does not seem to react immediately to offenders, its more like when he gets too much. I know that corn syrup is bad for him and will cause alot of ticcing, but he can tolerate some here and there without it increasing too much. But if I keep it up, I'll pay. My son still has visible tics, both motor and vocal, so its a real struggle for balance around here.

Just do one thing at a time for more than a week to be sure if its a problem or okay. I think you're actually supposed to reintroduce the food several times a day so you can see if its a problem, but you may not have the guts to do that, I don't. I would just watch and see.

If you figure out what to give her to gain some weight, please share. Our doctor said give him shakes, but no can do, because I don't give him dairy for the most part except some cheese here and there. I'll alow ice cream once in a blue moon in small amounts. All I can think of is add more olive oil to whatever foods she does eat, like potatoes fried in olive oil, or more on the salad, even a splash in the pastas or sauce.

Good luch

Faith

On the topic of shakes for getting high-calorie foods, how about using nuts and water as a substitute for milk. You are still going to need a sweetener, but I think fruit or agave nectar or whatever combination could work for that just fine.

I find raw cashews that have been soaked for 15 minutes to an hour to be excellent for blending. Back when I was allowed sweet things and sugars (b.c.--before candida, if you will), I would make this cashew french toast batter like that, adding cinnamon too. Now I am making a not that sweet at all milk to cook oatmeal in, which I find tolerable, but wouldn't suggest trying to give to a kid without sweetener or sweet fruit or something. I'm sure the roasted cashews could be used, but I don't think they are quite that creamy, and they're not going to soak so well.

Coconut oil along with cashews in a smoothy would probably be delicious with any sweet fruit--bananas, strawberries (unless they're not that good, then would need sweetener), dates, and so on.

Actually, there are plenty of fake milks out there, like almond milk, which I used to use but it has sweetener I can't handle now, and soy milk, which I know causes problems for lots of people.

Michael

I know alot of people on here do these special diets and many have helped their children. However, we tried them with no success. Sorry, I don't want to sound discouraging. I took my child off of all that you did practically and your are right it is very hard. Hard not being able to have a night off by eating out.

If its not working you may want to rethink the whole issue. Maybe slowly reintroduce some foods and see what happens.

My son is on medications now but I am still not opposed to trying something naturally that might help as long as its safe. But it wore me and my son out trying to do all of that and our pockets out as well. He is older now (15 ys) so I know trying to eat some of those dietary things now would be next to impossible so I'm glad I did it while he was young. However, being underweight cannot be good either as it can cause the immune system to get low and cause other illnesses or just basically catching viruses etc.

Good Luck,

I hope you find what works for you

Kim

Hi

unless there are clear allergies to the foods I would let her eat as whole and balanced a diet as possible

my son had no food allergies when tested, but they claimed he had many food sensitivities and wanted him off almost everything! Our own trial and error showed all he needs to avoid are chemical additives(he has diagnosed MCS=multiple chemical sensitivity) and excessive corn products (by choice he now avoids all corn)

I really feel that sometimes the food avoidance goes a bit overboard...again, I fully agree that if one is allergic to something it needs to be totally avoided. But usually other things in moderation seem to be ok

You could try slowly reintroducing things one group at a time to see if they are ok

I absolutely agree that an undernourished child is not a healthy one!

While we are talking about weight and growth,... has anyone had the experience of taking their kids to see an endocrinologist? I am thinking of doing that, just to see what they say about my son's growth at this point. I would never put him on growth hormone. Our ped says he'd rather see him skinny than overweight. he seems to be in the 5th percentile at this point, and pretty much always was. I am 5' 2", and my husband is 5' 7". so they will say it's genetic. I was quite skinny as a kid, but my husband looked like a well fed kid in his photos, lol, altho his older brother had a small stature. Any thoughts or advice? Does anyone know about seeing an endocrinologist?

thanks

Faith

Hello,

If my two cents mean anything at all. I have kept Nick off Dairy, soy and now Beef. Also junky foods. He really hates being different. Last Saturday we went to a family party and there was no food choices for him.. He ate pizza, a coke and m and m's. I was getting/feeling really hyper about this and my husband said just let him be 8 and have fun he is at a party. He said if he has a bad reaction maybe he will know for next time. I had a drink (lol) and did just that. Nicholas had no reactions except he woke up right after going to sleep twice probably from the caffiene /candy, I am glad I made the choice that I did. I have never been a big fan of dairy so that one is ok. I still hate that he can't have the birthday snack at school IT stinks for him... Less is best I do believe if it is going to make them very sad. If the reaction is bad enough they will want to avoid the offender on their own I believe.

abbe

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm going to give her chicken on Friday. She hasn't had it in the last 8 months. I'll give her a self-made nugget in the morning, a fried chicken drumstick for lunch and then, I'll see what happens. I'm crossing my fingers that things will be ok. I know I won't be able to sleep properly after that. My poor husband will have to deal with me on Saturday and Sunday. I'm like you, Faith. I want to try out the new foods but I get scared just thinking about the end-result. Btw, since I've kept away from so many types of food for so long, will there be some kind of reaction? Has anybody ever gone through this?

Anyway, aside from olive oil, coconut oil and shakes, I'm wondering what else I can give her.

I just saw myself in the mirror and I'm thinking of Shylock - if only I could cut off a pound of my flesh and pass it on to my little one. Sigh - life is so hard.

Vita

I think someone mentioned nuts....how about trying different nuts for snacks? They have a lot of calories, but the fats in them are fairly healthy...also give protein is good.

Also, not sure what is in the "rice dream" products ("frozen ice cream" type stuff that uses rice and has no dairy/soy/corn....I remember that much)....my kids had the rice dream ice cream bars and LOVED them.....very delicious. A bit pricey compared with regular grocery store ice cream bars....but a good special treat for a child with food allergies, I think. (Tofutti is another brand with yummy frozen "ice cream" treats...only uses soy...but no dairy or corn sweetners)

It IS so difficult to eat out, etc with the food allergies.....and, from what you're describing....you're not 100% sure that the diet is even helping that much? I'd do as the others suggested also....try one thing now and then...see what happens.....then you'll know.......maybe see what's of most interest to your daughter to be able to eat again, and start with that?

Food allergies are SOOOOO hard to fathom at times.....my (19 yo) son (no TS with him) had a HUGE problem with hives from corn....he completely eliminated it (very difficult, when in college, dorm food, etc etc....but he did it) plus took allergy shots for the corn pollens for 6-8months....his hives went away, he went off of the antihistamines....then retintroduced the corn....and...huh....he's FINE with it now.....and...this has all happened in about a years worth of time....?

very strange......

so, I guess trial and error is really the only thing that will tell you for sure what's going to happen to YOUR child...

BEST WISHES!!

Hello,

I used to be Vita but now, I'm Vita10. Sorry - got my password mixed up and a few other technicalities confused me. So, old identity no longer exists.

Anyway, Laurena, thanks for the great tip on Rice Dream. Will have to see if we have it in my country.

Good that your son is now fine :-) I hope things will get better for my kid too. I was supposed to have started her on chicken last Friday but guess who chickened out (corny, I know, but I just couldn't help it). The chicken is still in the freezer - I'm waiting to pluck up my courage. My understanding is that chicken has to be given throughout the day if I want to know if my dd reacts to it. So, I'm supposed to watch out for the slightest change. And if she does react, does that mean that chicken will never ever appear on our dinner table?

Btw, I've got to learn how to cook - does anybody have a cake, muffin, pancake, or donut recipe that you're willing to share? I'm just trying to make my 7 year old satisfied again. The poor gem can't have soy, gluten, dairy, eggs. So, what's left? Everything I bake tastes horrible.

Thanks .

Vita10,

My son has intolerances to eggs and dairy. I have found some good recipes and food ideas from being a Feingold member. If you joined, I know you would get some great ideas on different things to feed your child. Just a thought :mellow: Did your child show to have an intolerance to chicken, is that why you are not giving your child chicken? Char...