ACN Latitudes Forums

Pandas exacerbated by Viruses?

kcdc3

Does anyone here experience intense exacerbation of PANDAS symptoms when their PANDAS child comes into contact with a person in the household with a VIRUS - but the PANDAS child never catches the virus? Anyone have any comments on this or any research?

My dd7 has exacerbations whenever she is around someone else who is sick and it doesn't have to be with a strep infection. I had bronchitis in June and she had severe Pandas symptoms for three days while I was sick. Her brother had strep two weeks ago and she was fine when she was not around him but anytime she was near him-within 15 minutes she would start having anger issues that would last the rest of the day. I'm not kidding--she spent the entire day with me and was happy, laughing, having a great time and then brother came home around 5 pm and she went down the tube immediately. Last weekend she was playing with all the neighbor kids and kept having some anger issues & emotional meltdowns. I was ready to go outside and ask if anyone had a sore throat but never did. On the following Monday, one of the little boys was absent from school for three days. She never picked up any of these infections.

I know sometimes people can get viruses (like the flu) and be assymptomatic. So, perhaps it might look like a pandas child is reacting to just being exposed to a virus but actually they have it?

My dd (on 250mg/day azith) definitely reacts when exposed to family members with strep.

She also has reacted when she herself has been sick with viruses (fifth's, the flu).

I don't think she has reacted to others being sick with non-strep illnesses though. ???

However, it would make sense that anything that stimulates the immune system (including allergies) could cause symptoms.

Our children's immune systems are constantly under attack....especially during the school year. Keep in mind that although your child shows no outward symptoms of an illness (runny nose, cough, sore throat, etc)....that does not mean the child did not contract the illness. Many times, the child will contract an illness, and their immune systems will go into action (hence PANDAS symptoms), however, their systems will clear the virus/bacteria before it ever gets a chance to surface with the usual, outward signs.

Does anyone here experience intense exacerbation of PANDAS symptoms when their PANDAS child comes into contact with a person in the household with a VIRUS - but the PANDAS child never catches the virus? Anyone have any comments on this or any research?

We have yet to be diagnosed with Pandas, but I am certain my dd has it. She developed tics about 3 months ago and right now (as of today) that is the only thing that she is experiencing. She had horrible OCD for the past year, on and off. When she was diagnosed with Strep a few months ago, tics started and my ped. prescribed Amox. for 30 days. We saw major change in her after 3 days on antibiotics, but she went down again - we have 3 children and all of them were sick for most of the 30 days. After they got better so did she. Tics are still present when there is no sickness in the house. Last week my other daughter had a virus (not strep) and my Pandas/OCD daughter went into unbelievable rages - I videotaped one so that I can show her ped. She had a great increase in OCD symptoms and her tics increased. I wish doctors would put more weight on the Pandas issue - it is REAL!!!!

My dd7 has exacerbations whenever she is around someone else who is sick and it doesn't have to be with a strep infection. I had bronchitis in June and she had severe Pandas symptoms for three days while I was sick. Her brother had strep two weeks ago and she was fine when she was not around him but anytime she was near him-within 15 minutes she would start having anger issues that would last the rest of the day. I'm not kidding--she spent the entire day with me and was happy, laughing, having a great time and then brother came home around 5 pm and she went down the tube immediately. Last weekend she was playing with all the neighbor kids and kept having some anger issues & emotional meltdowns. I was ready to go outside and ask if anyone had a sore throat but never did. On the following Monday, one of the little boys was absent from school for three days. She never picked up any of these infections.

We have yet to be diagnosed with Pandas, but I am certain my dd has it. She developed tics about 3 months ago and right now (as of today) that is the only thing that she is experiencing. She had horrible OCD for the past year, on and off. When she was diagnosed with Strep a few months ago, tics started and my ped. prescribed Amox. for 30 days. We saw major change in her after 3 days on antibiotics, but she went down again - we have 3 children and all of them were sick for most of the 30 days. After they got better so did she. Tics are still present when there is no sickness in the house. Last week my other daughter had a virus (not strep) and my Pandas/OCD daughter went into unbelievable rages - I videotaped one so that I can show her ped. She had a great increase in OCD symptoms and her tics increased. I wish doctors would put more weight on the Pandas issue - it is REAL!!!!

I would rec. getting everyone in your household (kids, adults) throat cultured for strep (if you haven't done so very recently). #1 you want to see if the amoxcillin actually cleared your pandas dd. #2 you want to make sure you don't have any strep carriers in the house.

Where do you live? Perhaps someone can recommend a good dr.

Her brother had strep two weeks ago and she was fine when she was not around him but anytime she was near him-within 15 minutes she would start having anger issues that would last the rest of the day. I'm not kidding--she spent the entire day with me and was happy, laughing, having a great time and then brother came home around 5 pm and she went down the tube immediately.

Shae'smom - so interesting! Would she mellow out when not around him after exacerbating with him? How many days did you observe this?

Her brother had strep two weeks ago and she was fine when she was not around him but anytime she was near him-within 15 minutes she would start having anger issues that would last the rest of the day. I'm not kidding--she spent the entire day with me and was happy, laughing, having a great time and then brother came home around 5 pm and she went down the tube immediately.

Shae'smom - so interesting! Would she mellow out when not around him after exacerbating with him? How many days did you observe this?

It went on for around two weeks. On Friday evening my husband and I both commented on how she had not been herself that week-quick to get mad, wanted to sleep in our bed again, very moody (started on Tuesday). I had even sent an email to her teacher that day asking if anyone in the class had been gone that week with strep-NO. On Saturday my son came home from a football game and looked terrible-he was pale and couldn't stop coughing. He looked really rough. Shae and I had spent the entire day together and had a great time-she even played with one of the younger neighbor kids and did great. Her brother was home for 15 minutes and she went nuts-terrible raging. After a few hours I decided to take my son to the urgent care clinic-H1N1 was at his school and with my daughter's immune system disease we need to be on top of everything. They said no flu but looked like strep. Rapid was negative. She was in a terrible mood on Sunday as well. On Monday I found out that his culture had come back positive for strep. It wasn't until Thursday after school that I noticed she was back to being herself. She was great Friday too. On Saturday she was playing with all the neighbors and was again struggling-emotional, moody and grumpy. We went through the whole-"Nobody is my friend-Nobody plays with me etc..." I told me hubby that I bet one of those kids was sick and sure enough on Monday a little boy named Matt was home from school until Thursday. It's amazing to me that her body is so sensitive to other people.

Hi all-

My dd Julia, has had three mini pandas recurrences when exposed to strep at school.

I say mini, because they have been short-lived (from 4 days to two weeks) and not as bad as original (mostly anxiety, irritability, fatigue, less of an appetite, and a small increase in ocd issues).

I have politely asked all families in her and her sister's class to let me know if they are diagnosed with strep.

This is one thing that makes pandas so rough. There have already been 3 cases of strep (that I know of) in her class this year!

Good idea - I think I'll ask her teacher to let me know when someone is out sick - I can then compare it to see if she is worse during those times.

Hi all-

My dd Julia, has had three mini pandas recurrences when exposed to strep at school.

I say mini, because they have been short-lived (from 4 days to two weeks) and not as bad as original (mostly anxiety, irritability, fatigue, less of an appetite, and a small increase in ocd issues).

I have politely asked all families in her and her sister's class to let me know if they are diagnosed with strep.

This is one thing that makes pandas so rough. There have already been 3 cases of strep (that I know of) in her class this year!

I asked the school to contact me if anyone calls in sick with strep in my 2 boys' classes. Also, I've politely told my son's kindergarten teacher to use common sense and if someone's coughing a lot, do not pair them/group them with my son. Whether she'll remember that, who knows. but she did agree thatt was a good idea. She was not insulted.

I've also emailed my 8 year old non-PANDAS teacher and explained the situation and if she ever suspects she has strep, to please inform the principal. I did the same for my son's in school slp. I was very suprised when my 8 year old's teacher responded and she said she was already informed of what was going on and she spoke with my PANDAS son's teacher. I was impressed by that.

My son has been 97% symptom free (some eye tics) for 3 weeks, until last night, I could just tell we were going to have a rough night. His urination issures hit, high anxiety, sad, and bad cough and clearing his throat. After reading this forum, it made me think that someone must be sick. How can you go 3 weeks perfect, to a sudden bad night. Sure enough, his sister woke up this morning and vomited while brushing her teeth before school. Turns out she has a tummy bug of some sorts, but all better tonight.

He thinks it's 'cool' that he has some type of sickness radar. I guess that a positive way to look at his PANDAS. He's my super-hero.

It how amazing that our kids are so sensitive?

My son has been 97% symptom free (some eye tics) for 3 weeks, until last night, I could just tell we were going to have a rough night. His urination issures hit, high anxiety, sad, and bad cough and clearing his throat. After reading this forum, it made me think that someone must be sick. How can you go 3 weeks perfect, to a sudden bad night. Sure enough, his sister woke up this morning and vomited while brushing her teeth before school. Turns out she has a tummy bug of some sorts, but all better tonight.

He thinks it's 'cool' that he has some type of sickness radar. I guess that a positive way to look at his PANDAS. He's my super-hero.

It how amazing that our kids are so sensitive?

I was wondering if I could somehow start charging to have Shae dx all the neighbor kids?! LOL :wacko: