ACN Latitudes Forums

Opinions/advice

kim

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with opinions on whether strep could be causing symptoms of Guillain-Barre in the parent of an older child with what has been diagnosed as TS.

This is apparently a relapse of symptoms that started a few months back.

Does anyone think ASO or AntiDnase titers would be helpful? If there is strep involvement (which I'm assuming original bloodwork did not indicate infection) is it worth even trying to point out? Do you think a viral infection is more likely the culprit? I'm pretty sure that's what the Dr.s thought originally. Again, I'm really wondering if PANDAS due to strep can cause the symptoms that he's experiencing. Has anyone had this muscle weakness/dizziness as primary symptoms with a PANDAS flare? I don't believe there are any psychiatric symptoms.

I'm hoping some of you might be able to help with opinions on whether strep could be causing symptoms of Guillain-Barre in the parent of an older child with what has been diagnosed as TS.

Does anyone think ASO or AntiDnase titers would be helpful? If there is strep involvement (which I'm assuming original bloodwork did not indicate infection) is it worth even trying to point out? Do you think a viral infection is more likely the culprit? I'm pretty sure that's what the Dr.s thought originally. Again, I'm really wondering if PANDAS due to strep can cause the symptoms that he's experiencing. Has anyone had this muscle weakness/dizziness as primary symptoms with a PANDAS flare? I don't believe there are any psychiatric symptoms.

My daughter gets dizzy spells and limb/joint pain and she falls a lot (maybe from muscle weakness??) and she also does get tingling in her hands and feet that is very bothersome. We don't know yet whether it's just PANDAS or some other underlying immune issue however since we are still looking into that.

Susan

I'm confused-are you thinking the Parent has Pandas or the child with the TS dx? Has this person recently had a flu shot which can cause Guillain Barre?

My dd has had severe knee and leg pain which started last spring and has continued for the last 18 months. It started shortly after a strep infection and onset of Pandas symptoms that were controlled with abx. She has since been dx with an immune deficiency and joint pain is common with immune deficiencies so it is hard to say if it was caused by the Pandas or not.

Hi Kim -

I am confused too - but VERY interested !

Who has symptoms of Guillain-Barre ? The parent ? or the child ?

Guillain-Barre can for sure be caused by strep - as can Guillain-Barre-like and MS-like symptoms

Best wishes -

Thanks for the replies!

ShaesMom, It's the parent that's having the problem right now. He is under the care of what sounds like a Dr. who is trying to get to the bottom of things so I'm sure the testing is being done for autoimmune related illness, etc. What was bothering me, was if there was strep somewhere that wasn't obvious that could trigger these symptoms. I kept thinking ...what if he needs to be on an antibiotic and they are just assuming it's viral. I don't think most Dr.s would think of an adult with those symptoms as having a strep related illness (and maybe rightly so?).

I'm very doubtful that there was any flu vaccine involved, i had thought of that too. I think it was too early for a seasoal flu vaccine, which hasn't been linked to GB as far as I know and there isn't one available for H1N1 yet.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I think I panicked a little when I heard there was possible autoimmune related illness . This is a small group where members chat occasionally, more than research, altho most welcome any new info. I just didn't want to lauch into some possible "strep connection," if it doesn't make any sense.

OhOh PANDAS Denmark, I think we were posting at the same time. GBS can be caused by strep? I read recently where strep had been grown/cultured from patients with Kawasaki disease, but don't remember reading anything about it in relationship to Guillain-Barre, which I have looked at a little recently, mostly because of the H1N1 vaccine.

OhOh PANDAS Denmark, I think we were posting at the same time. GBS can be caused by strep? I read recently where strep had been grown/cultured from patients with Kawasaki disease, but don't remember reading anything about it in relationship to Guillain-Barre, which I have looked at a little recently, mostly because of the H1N1 vaccine.

Hi Kim ^_^)

GBS can for sure be caused by strep - and any other bacteria and vira :-(.

Please refer to my PM too -

I have a story to relate but please excuse that I heard it a while ago and won't get it right but can convey the jist. My ped told me this in the spring - he told it as an example that he didn't think my 5 year old had strep lurking in his body b/c we'd treated strongly with abx and he hasn't had invasive treatments to breed strep - but the story is quite interesting.

He saw a college age girl (I don't think she had previously been his patient) that had previously been beautiful, motivated, healthy. She'd started having trouble in school, academically, socially, feeling badly, losing motivation, looking bad. She eventually dropped out of college. Her parents were wealthy and had taken her to many doctors who couldn't figure out what was wrong. When he saw her, he ran strep titers. They were high. From there, they figured out that when she had previously had some dental work, some thing had been done incompletely or improperly and she had a strep infection in her gums. They corrected the dental issue, treated the strep and she was back to her previous self.

Not sure if that helps you but I think it's an interesting story.

Thanks for the replies!

ShaesMom, It's the parent that's having the problem right now. He is under the care of what sounds like a Dr. who is trying to get to the bottom of things so I'm sure the testing is being done for autoimmune related illness, etc. What was bothering me, was if there was strep somewhere that wasn't obvious that could trigger these symptoms. I kept thinking ...what if he needs to be on an antibiotic and they are just assuming it's viral. I don't think most Dr.s would think of an adult with those symptoms as having a strep related illness (and maybe rightly so?).

I'm very doubtful that there was any flu vaccine involved, i had thought of that too. I think it was too early for a seasoal flu vaccine, which hasn't been linked to GB as far as I know and there isn't one available for H1N1 yet.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded. I think I panicked a little when I heard there was possible autoimmune related illness . This is a small group where members chat occasionally, more than research, altho most welcome any new info. I just didn't want to lauch into some possible "strep connection," if it doesn't make any sense.

What causes Guillain-Barre syndrome?:

No one knows exactly what causes Guillain-Barre syndrome or why some people get it and other do not. Most people who get Guillain-Barre syndrome do so after having a bacterial or viral infection. In some cases, it has been connected to certain immunizations, such as the flu vaccine, and can even occur spontaneously.