ACN Latitudes Forums

Streptococcus Pneumonae

sf_mom

Ok, I am confused,. We had a test done for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae IgG and IgM. We did this at the time of our MRI per Dr. K's request. He said that if we had this it would be bad. Our results were <=.90. The paperwork I have in front of me says that <=.90 for Mycoplasma Pneumonia IgG is Negative.

Is this different than what you are saying SF Mom?

I'm not sure. I do know STREP PNEUMOCOCCAL ANTIBODY TITER tests 14 serotypes and any response less than 1.5/2.0 means they don't produce the antibodies to fight off the Pneumonia. Did you ever get any clarity from Dr. K on the test results?

-Wendy

Yes-that is something completely different than the Streptococcus Pneumonae titers test.

Mycoplasma pneumonia is a type of atypical pneumonia. It is caused by the bacteria M. pneumoniae. This type of pneumonia usually affects people younger than 40. Various studies suggest that it makes up 15-50% of all pneumonia cases in adults and an even more in school-aged children.

Wendy-Do you know if the ASO titers relate only to Group A strep or does it show an increase for any type of strep??

I don't know but I'll ask the Immunologist when I see him in later in Oct.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked up Coccoid Bacteria and found the following. Type of Streptococcus pneumoniae.

Important human pathogens caused by coccoid bacteria include staphylococci infections, some types of food poisoning, some urinary tract infections, toxic shock syndrome, gonorrhea, as well as some forms of meningitis, throat infections, pneumonias, and sinusitis.[4]

AND as stated in my prior post: The encapsulated, gram-positive coccoid bacteria have a distinctive morphology on gram stain, the so-called, "lancet shape." It has a polysaccharide capsule that acts as a virulence factor for the organism; more than 90 different serotypes are known, and these types differ in virulence, prevalence, and extent of drug resistance.

• 4 weeks later...

Right after I got pregnant w/ my 2nd, I had a horrible doubling over pain - diarrhea/nausea that was persistent for a few weeks. My naturopath did a stool test, and she said I was intolerant to milk & gluten, along with having crypotosporidium. Recently I looked over the test and saw it also said pathogens/bacterial overgrowth detected for alpha hemolytic streptococcus and gamma hemolytic streptococcus.

I have tics - had it since 11. Would these strains affect tics?

Right after I got pregnant w/ my 2nd, I had a horrible doubling over pain - diarrhea/nausea that was persistent for a few weeks. My naturopath did a stool test, and she said I was intolerant to milk & gluten, along with having crypotosporidium. Recently I looked over the test and saw it also said pathogens/bacterial overgrowth detected for alpha hemolytic streptococcus and gamma hemolytic streptococcus.

I have tics - had it since 11. Would these strains affect tics?

alpha hemolytic streptococcus is Strep A...which is the type of strep that Susan Swedo tested for in her original reasearch. So yes, strep A is associated with tics, ocd, emotional lability, ADD type behavior, urinary frequency (just bathroom problems in general).

Do you notice a relief of your tics while on antibiotics?

How long ago was that stool sample taken...Did your naturopath put you on an anitbiotic then?

When I looked in Wiki - it said Strep A is Beta Group A, not Alpha Hemolytic. Am I wrong on this?

My naturopath at the time didn't comment on this result - she was more addressing the milk/gluten intolerance finding and crypto, as we were trying to figure out why I was doubled over in pain.

Don't know if she even knows about the PANDAS connection - even though she is my dr for TS/mercury issues.

I think the Alpha and the Beta refer to how the bacteria stains. They are both Strep A

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionar...c+Streptococcus

http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionar...c+Streptococcus

if you vistit these two websites, you will see that the info on each page is identical...thet are both indicated in rhumatic fever...PANDAS is thought to be a similar process as RF...just in the brain.

• 3 months later...

I've bumped this up because I think it is really important.

DD finishes high dose abx and the cough starts, within a day, her throat is infected with strep within two days. High dose abx again for 5 days and when finished she starts the dry cough and another strep throat infection starts. We are now on 4th strep throat infection. one after the next.

Her temperature soars between the high and low dose of abx change.

She is now complaining that her back hurts.

Also the cough gets really bad at night

She has night sweats and snores badly

Taking her to hospital next week and demanding lungs and blood tested.

This is the most common form on pneumonia in the UK. If our children are autoimmune then would this affect how it could present.

I think it should be on the list of infections to check for.

Thanks

Jules

Okay, I'm confused now - like I wasn't already! My son had a stool test done last October and tested high for the following:

alpha haemolytic Streptococcus

gamma haemolytic Streptococcus

Streptococcus agalactiae

enterobacter cloacae

I thought alpha haemolytic Streptococcus was not in the Strep A category too.

When I looked in Wiki - it said Strep A is Beta Group A, not Alpha Hemolytic. Am I wrong on this?

Thanks for bumping this up - it's timely for us. What your daughter is experiencing is exactly what we are experiencing in our family. Our (especially my) "sick" symtpoms go away only as long as the antibiotics are "on"; once they are "off", it's just a matter of days to weeks before the green mucus, sore throat, fever, etc. comes back. I've been on as much as 2 months straight of high-dose Augmentin, but within a month, "it" comes back anyway. I think each of me and my two ds are now on something like our 6th course of antibiotics in the last 4 months just based on physical symptoms. The boys mostly get sinus symptoms but I also get fevers, chills, night sweats, bad sore throats, etc.

I had the Pneumovax vaccine in Dec (which incidentally made me crazier and more depressed than I've been since childhood, for a couple of weeks) to see if I could develop proper immunity to S. pneumoniae, etc. I responded well to some of the serotypes, but launched no response whatsoever to others. The immunologist said that it was an "overall" decent response but now I wonder if we need to hone down which strains I didn't launch any response to and figure out if that's what I have.

DD finishes high dose abx and the cough starts, within a day, her throat is infected with strep within two days. High dose abx again for 5 days and when finished she starts the dry cough and another strep throat infection starts. We are now on 4th strep throat infection. one after the next.

This is the most common form on pneumonia in the UK. If our children are autoimmune then would this affect how it could present.

Thanks

Jules

Thanks for bumping this up - it's timely for us. What your daughter is experiencing is exactly what we are experiencing in our family. Our (especially my) "sick" symtpoms go away only as long as the antibiotics are "on"; once they are "off", it's just a matter of days to weeks before the green mucus, sore throat, fever, etc. comes back. I've been on as much as 2 months straight of high-dose Augmentin, but within a month, "it" comes back anyway. I think each of me and my two ds are now on something like our 6th course of antibiotics in the last 4 months just based on physical symptoms. The boys mostly get sinus symptoms but I also get fevers, chills, night sweats, bad sore throats, etc.

I had the Pneumovax vaccine in Dec (which incidentally made me crazier and more depressed than I've been since childhood, for a couple of weeks) to see if I could develop proper immunity to S. pneumoniae, etc. I responded well to some of the serotypes, but launched no response whatsoever to others. The immunologist said that it was an "overall" decent response but now I wonder if we need to hone down which strains I didn't launch any response to and figure out if that's what I have.

Thanks

Jules

Could the symptoms with your entire family be environmental?? You hear stories about 'sick homes' with molds or bad dry wall, gases, etc. Because all of you all so sick, I would look deeper. Just a thought.

Wow, I've learned so much since Sept. and my post actually appears naive. We will be constantly attacked by all kinds of bacteria and viruses presenting immune challenges. Solve the gut flora and manage future ingested bacteria and hopefully the immune system will fully rebound. We are using the IVIG and antibiotics to help my son overcome his current PANDAs symptoms but we also working to bring down his PH balances into normal range and repair his gut so he can manage bacteria in the future.

Here's a link I found with a lot of information. Still reading it and trying to comprehend it. One interesting this I did catch was how inflammation seems to be key.

http://www.textbookofbacteriology.net/S.pneumoniae.html

My basic question is: Does this strain of strep cause the strep titers to rise and would the ASO and AntiDNAase tests detect it?

My son has had several instances where he has had strep, ear infections and a sinus infection all at the same time. This leads me to believe that the strep is causing the ear and sinus infections as well instead of him having a viral cold and a strep infection at the same time.

He was taking Augmentin but while on it came down with a sore throat, an ear infection and his sinuses are totally gunked up. We switched to Omnicef. The doctor didn't say he had a sinus infection, he just said if he did the omnicef would take care of it, which it has in the past.

We did a a 48 hour culture and the results are due back today and we reran his ASO and Anti-DNAase. I wonder if this will show up?

I'm trying not to freak out, but our local paper had an obituary on Sunday of a guy in his 30s that died from strep that had gone septic. Seems like this is the strain that would do that. Yikes!

Thanks

Jules

Could the symptoms with your entire family be environmental?? You hear stories about 'sick homes' with molds or bad dry wall, gases, etc. Because all of you all so sick, I would look deeper. Just a thought.

Yes, we've been looking, thanks for the idea. It's really just me and the kids - my husband is fine. And it seems to be bacterial because the green gunk in our sinuses is visible and stubborn. It kicks off some PANDAS symptoms, but except for the bad episode I had in the fall, it's been symptom levels that are a drag rather than a crisis. Apparently it has been an exceptionally bad year for allergies in our area so our docs think it could be that we are very allergic and inflamed, and that leads to proliferation of infections in the sinuses. However, the allergy remedies we've tried (Zyrtec, nasal steriods) don't seem to help (at least not yet). Antibiotics kick it eventually each time, but then eventually it comes back. We are exploring all avenues but it's looking like we have a bug that we're passing back and forth and never really getting rid of either due to poor immunity or nasty strain. That's how we've come to the point of getting immune work-ups.