ACN Latitudes Forums

Our One Year Anniversary of PANDAS

Happy Birthday! He sounds so very lucky to have you as his mom.

Today is my son's 6th birthday! It is also the one year anniversay of PANDAS entering our life. It's weird. I have such mixed feelings. My happiness is great. He is doing well and seems to be healthy. But I also have a sense that it is an anniversay of a death. Like when a loved one dies. I guess that's because so much innocence disappeared a year ago.

Even though it's only been a year, it seems like a lifetime. I have seen/spoke to more doctors w/in the past 365 days than I have in all my children's lives put together. We had had PANDAS surface 3 times due to strep, behaviors act up twice due to virus and allergies. We have been to neurologist, psychologist, psychiatrist, pediatrician, phone calls more than I can count. My perfectly normal son has been called bipolar, Monk, and the one with the personality change. The two later comments by family. Those who are suppose to support you. He had had his hands bleed from hand washing, meltdowns just from seeing his sister, spinning down the hall, turning to the side to breath while eating, lying hours in his room naked, having to be spoon fed, threatening to end his life. All within a year and all at the tender age of 5.

But I stand here today stronger than I was a year ago. I didn't think at that point I was weak, but one truly can't imagine the strength the human spirit can actualy hold. But I have to admit, I hope I never have a reason to find more strength.I have a new pespective at parenting. I don't feel the need to punish for small things. I've adopted the phrase "pick your battles wisely".

I am thankful to God for making my son better. I know how lucky I am. I hope it never ends and I am never thrown into the chaos again. I hope each of experience your children to their fullest again and have the happiness and relief I have today.

May God bless each of our children and families. May He lead each of us down the right path. I honestly and sincerely care about each of your kids. That is why I go on this forum each day. It would be easier to say "Josh is well". It's behind me for now. But I can't. I know what it's like and I know I may be there again.

Happy Birthday, Josh! I love you!

Thanks Vickie,

I hope this year is just as good. thanks for sharing such a touching post .

Deanna