ACN Latitudes Forums

Today Show

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching and recording it but I don't think it will help me with getting my dh on board because it's so much more extreme and clear than the issues with my ds.

If you're reading this now, turn on the Today Show. It's coming up very soon! They just showed a teaser for it. I think it'll be after Martha.

I shouted at the tv and called that Dr. a *itch (in front of my boys!)....she was so equivocating!!

It's not that complicated to explain, and she wouldn't even give a basic description of the disease...

(sigh)

It was heartbreaking to actually see footage of Sammy's rituals after reading the book.....

But at the same time SO HOPEFUL....what a beautiful boy...Beth must be so proud!

It was very good. Short and to the point, great awareness for all. Sammy gives us hope. I like how she said he showed no signs of strep( sore throat ). We should try to get the word out to email the today show thanking them. Because as we know, they will get some emails from doctors criticizing them for this report.

Yeah, I do agree it was great to hear the word. I think I just was hoping it would be something that would be more clear to my ds but I know that my ds's case is so mild it would really be newsworthy... if that makes sense.

I felt that my daughter's case was also too mild to be news worthy...but in the end when she came back to us, we realized that she was further gone than we thought becasue her symptoms didn't start with a sudden dramatic change....it was a progression.

But the important thing to remember about the mild cases is that they prove just how wide a spectrum we are looking at.

Could it really be as mild as emotional lability (depression) all the way to the extreme of anorexia/severe ocd?

We know about the extreme end...and as parents we are in crisis mode when an episode hits....I thiink the research into weather this can be very mild may have to wait until we can at least get this disorder in the books first.

I think this is going to make a real difference in the treatment of mental health overall.

You are very right. I know that pandas is considered rare but I really wonder how rare it is. I mean, I think of my pediatricians practice... the dr. I saw the other day said he treats a few kids with this. I then wonder how many other kids have such mild cases that it totally goes unnoticed. My ds would really be a case that could go unnoticed at the moment. I mean, it's there.. but even my own dh is having trouble seeing it. It's clear to my dr. when I present the history but isolated his symptoms are not clear at all and would just be mistaken as obnoxious, moody, bright and quirky, and having a mild common childhood tic... no big deal... to me it's a huge deal. My ds can not be happy when he is like this. I want him to be happy. I am so very grateful that his symptoms present mildly but sometimes I think it would be almost easier if it was more extreme so I could say LOOK!!!

Yeah, I do agree it was great to hear the word. I think I just was hoping it would be something that would be more clear to my ds but I know that my ds's case is so mild it would really be newsworthy... if that makes sense.

I felt that my daughter's case was also too mild to be news worthy...but in the end when she came back to us, we realized that she was further gone than we thought becasue her symptoms didn't start with a sudden dramatic change....it was a progression.

But the important thing to remember about the mild cases is that they prove just how wide a spectrum we are looking at.

Could it really be as mild as emotional lability (depression) all the way to the extreme of anorexia/severe ocd?

We know about the extreme end...and as parents we are in crisis mode when an episode hits....I thiink the research into weather this can be very mild may have to wait until we can at least get this disorder in the books first.

I think this is going to make a real difference in the treatment of mental health overall.

Of course, all of us know that our kids DON"t necessarily have it as bad as Sammy and it is easy for experts to say that Sammy is an exception and that the rest of us are all :unsure::blink:

It makes many of us whose kids have milder symptoms wonder if we are barking up the wrong tree.

I hope this segment does not hold anyone back here. We are here because we are convinced our kids have SOME form of PANDAS. Maybe one that is more dominated by tics than OCD. Maybe one that is not easily treated by Augmentin.

Just had to say all th is.

The flip side is...my child has it much worse than Sammy and it does not make it easier to get treatment. And if it starts young enough, the connection to strep is harder to find because it disrupts development. So you don't have this picture of a "normal" kid spiraling into madness. You have a kid with abnormal development who goes through hellish periods of regression.