ACN Latitudes Forums

Do you find it worse before you realize they have strep or after?

ajcire

I was just realizing that the last 2 days ds was actually not clearing his throat as much and his behavior was much more tolerable. I just found out though yesterday he was positive for strep... and I just started the antibotic this morning. The dr. wants me to let him know next week before the 10 day run what changes I see.. he said he might want to continue him without stop on a different antibotic depending... I am guessing if I see a positive change he will want to continue... but he's not at his worst at the moment so not sure I will be able to tell much by next week.

When you have put your kids on the 10 day course for active strep.... do you notice a noticeable change right away?

The first time, I saw improvement within the first 5 days. The second time it took longer. To be honest, I cannot remember how fast it took to see improvement the third time.

The first time he got sick, he had his behavior changes for a few weeks before we found out he had strep. Pre-antibiotics , I did have some moments of hope that it was going to go away on its own. Like I was able to limit his excessive hand washing. However, those glimpses of hope would get erased by more meltdowns and more problems. Pretty soon, those good times were completely gone. If anything, those moments of hope made things worse because it bought him more time before the doctor saw him. It wasn't until he was finally put on antibiotics for strep did I see a more consistent upswing of symptoms.

But, let me add, it still did take months for him to fully recover.

The first time, I saw improvement within the first 5 days. The second time it took longer. To be honest, I cannot remember how fast it took to see improvement the third time.

The first time he got sick, he had his behavior changes for a few weeks before we found out he had strep. Pre-antibiotics , I did have some moments of hope that it was going to go away on its own. Like I was able to limit his excessive hand washing. However, those glimpses of hope would get erased by more meltdowns and more problems. Pretty soon, those good times were completely gone. If anything, those moments of hope made things worse because it bought him more time before the doctor saw him. It wasn't until he was finally put on antibiotics for strep did I see a more consistent upswing of symptoms.

But, let me add, it still did take months for him to fully recover.

We saw immediate improvement within hours of starting the abx. Anxiety level decreased majorly

Erica,

In one of the Swedo talks posted on-line she says something about noticing the increase in OCD/Tics 3 to 9 days prior to full blown strep.

After our son got sick, we noticed he was getting better on his own 'no antibiotics', but his titers were positive so we treated with a 5 day course of antibiotics and he improved even further, within 48 hours of being off antibiotics his symptoms started to increase so we secured another round of antibiotics, symptoms immediately improved again. Finally, after securing a third round of antibiotics and being on them for 35 days straight he was back to 95%. We are now four days post IVIG treatment with Dr. K and expect him to be on antibiotics for the next year to make sure his immune system has a chance to recover.

I would expect for you to see similar improvements or declines if he is not treated aggressively. I would try to secure antibiotics for as long as possible (minimally, until the cough is entirely GONE).

OUR SON is taking 250 m.g. Azthromycin daily, in the morning and he is 42 pounds.