ACN Latitudes Forums

Clerodendrum inerme

kim

Interesting.......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Search=19617461

Intractable chronic motor tics dramatically respond to Clerodendrum inerme (L) Gaertn.

We report on a 13-year-old girl, with chronic motor tic disorder refractory to multiple anti-tic therapies, who showed dramatic improvement and remission after taking the crude leaf extract of Clerodendrum inerme (L) Gaertn. No side effects were observed during a follow-up of more than 2 years. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on the anti-tic effect of Clerodendrum inerme.

Here are some things I was able to find about Clerodendrum inerme

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:hKySum...=clnk&gl=us

Clerodendrum and Heathcare: An Overview

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19069958

2007 May 1;10(9):1465-70.Links

Chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative potential of Clerodendron inerme (L) Gaertn in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene induced skin carcinogenesis in Swiss albino mice.Renju GL, Manoharan S, Balakrishnan S, Senthil N.

Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 002, Tamil Nadu, India.

The present study has investigated the chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative effects of the ethanolic extract of Clerodendron inerme leaves (CiELet) in DMBA induced skin carcinogenesis in Swiss albino mice. The skin squamous cell carcinoma was induced in the shaved back of mice, by painting with DMBA (25 microg 0.1 mL(-1) acetone) twice weekly for 8 weeks. We have observed 100% tumor formation in the fifteenth week of experimental period. Elevated lipid peroxidation and decline in enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants status was observed in tumor bearing mice. Oral administration of CiELet (300 mg kg(-1) bw) for 25 weeks significantly prevented the tumor incidence, volume and burden of the tumor. The CiELet also showed potent antilipidperoxidative effect as well as enhanced the antioxidant defense mechanisms in DMBA painted mice. The present study thus demonstrated the chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative efficacy of CiELet in DMBA induced mouse skin carcinogenesis.

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:4FfIOn...=clnk&gl=us

Effect of Clerodendron inerme on ErythrocyteMembrane Integrity During 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthraceneInduced Skin Carcinogenesis in Swiss Albino Mice

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~c...ll~jumptype=rss

Abstract

In order to evaluate the potential of medicinal plants of Tamil Nadu as sources of antiviral activities, we used seven different viruses to evaluate the methanol extracts of 30 plants, derived from 22 families and recognized for their local medical applications. Antiviral activity was the minimum concentration of extracts required to completely inhibit viral cytopathic effects (CPE), i.e., MIC100 values. Many extracts showed strong activities against Herpes simplex virus (HSV) and mouse corona virus (MCV, the surrogate for human SARS virus). Some extracts were also active against influenza virus and Sindbis virus (SINV, surrogate for hepatitis C virus), but fewer were active against the non-membrane viruses feline calicivirus (FCV, the surrogate for Norovirus), rhinovirus (common cold virus), and poliovirus. The most potent extracts (low MIC100 and broad spectrum of activity) were obtained from Gymnema sylvestre R. Br. (Asclepiadaceae), Pergularia daemia (Forsskal) Chiov. (Asclepiadaceae), Sphaeranthus indicus L. (Asteraceae), Cassia alata L. (Caesalpiniaceae), Evolvulus alsinoides L. (Convolvulaceae), Clitoria ternatea L. (Fabaceae), Indigofera tinctoria L. (Euphorbiaceae), Abutilon indicum G. Don. (Malvaceae), Vitex trifolia L. (Verbenaceae), Clerodendrum inerme (L.) Gaertn (Verbenaceae), and Leucas aspera Spr. (Lamiaceae), which showed anti-MCV and anti-HSV activities at a concentration as low as 0.4 µg/mL. In some cases the activities were enhanced by light, suggesting the presence of photosensitizers. Some of these antiviral activities could contribute to the medicinal properties of the plants, and also provide more support for the concept of scientific validation of traditional plant medicines in the fight against infectious diseases

http://www.find-health-articles.com/rec_pu...in-isolated.htm

A SYSTEMIC ANTIVIRAL RESISTANCE-INDUCING PROTEIN ISOLATED FROM CLERODENDRUM INERME GAERTN. IS A POLYNUCLEOTIDE :

ADENOSINE GLYCOSIDASE (RIBOSOME-INACT IVATING PROTEIN)

Two systemic antiviral resistance-inducing proteins, CIP-29 and CIP-34, isolated from Clerodendrum inerme Gaertn. leaves, were tested for ribosome-inactivating properties. It was found that CIP-29 has the characteristics of a polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidase (ribosome-inactivating protein), in that it inhibits protein synthesis both in cell-free systems and, at higher concentrations, in cells, and releases adenine from ribosomes, RNA, poly(A) and DNA. As compared with other known RIPs, CIP-29 deadenylates DNA at a high rate, and induces systemic antiviral resistance in susceptible plants.

Thanks for the posting.

Interesting.......

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?D...Search=19617461

Intractable chronic motor tics dramatically respond to Clerodendrum inerme (L) Gaertn.

We report on a 13-year-old girl, with chronic motor tic disorder refractory to multiple anti-tic therapies, who showed dramatic improvement and remission after taking the crude leaf extract of Clerodendrum inerme (L) Gaertn. No side effects were observed during a follow-up of more than 2 years. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report on the anti-tic effect of Clerodendrum inerme.

Here are some things I was able to find about Clerodendrum inerme

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:hKySum...=clnk&gl=us

Clerodendrum and Heathcare: An Overview

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19069958

2007 May 1;10(9):1465-70.Links

Chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative potential of Clerodendron inerme (L) Gaertn in 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthracene induced skin carcinogenesis in Swiss albino mice.Renju GL, Manoharan S, Balakrishnan S, Senthil N.

Department of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Faculty of Science, Annamalai University, Annamalainagar-608 002, Tamil Nadu, India.

The present study has investigated the chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative effects of the ethanolic extract of Clerodendron inerme leaves (CiELet) in DMBA induced skin carcinogenesis in Swiss albino mice. The skin squamous cell carcinoma was induced in the shaved back of mice, by painting with DMBA (25 microg 0.1 mL(-1) acetone) twice weekly for 8 weeks. We have observed 100% tumor formation in the fifteenth week of experimental period. Elevated lipid peroxidation and decline in enzymatic and non-enzymatic antioxidants status was observed in tumor bearing mice. Oral administration of CiELet (300 mg kg(-1) bw) for 25 weeks significantly prevented the tumor incidence, volume and burden of the tumor. The CiELet also showed potent antilipidperoxidative effect as well as enhanced the antioxidant defense mechanisms in DMBA painted mice. The present study thus demonstrated the chemopreventive and antilipidperoxidative efficacy of CiELet in DMBA induced mouse skin carcinogenesis.

Effect of Clerodendron inerme on ErythrocyteMembrane Integrity During 7,12-dimethylbenz(a)anthraceneInduced Skin Carcinogenesis in Swiss Albino Mice

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~c...ll~jumptype=rss

Abstract

In order to evaluate the potential of medicinal plants of Tamil Nadu as sources of antiviral activities, we used seven different viruses to evaluate the methanol extracts of 30 plants, derived from 22 families and recognized for their local medical applications. Antiviral activity was the minimum concentration of extracts required to completely inhibit viral cytopathic effects (CPE), i.e., MIC100 values. Many extracts showed strong activities against Herpes simplex virus (HSV) and mouse corona virus (MCV, the surrogate for human SARS virus). Some extracts were also active against influenza virus and Sindbis virus (SINV, surrogate for hepatitis C virus), but fewer were active against the non-membrane viruses feline calicivirus (FCV, the surrogate for Norovirus), rhinovirus (common cold virus), and poliovirus. The most potent extracts (low MIC100 and broad spectrum of activity) were obtained from Gymnema sylvestre R. Br. (Asclepiadaceae), Pergularia daemia (Forsskal) Chiov. (Asclepiadaceae), Sphaeranthus indicus L. (Asteraceae), Cassia alata L. (Caesalpiniaceae), Evolvulus alsinoides L. (Convolvulaceae), Clitoria ternatea L. (Fabaceae), Indigofera tinctoria L. (Euphorbiaceae), Abutilon indicum G. Don. (Malvaceae), Vitex trifolia L. (Verbenaceae), Clerodendrum inerme (L.) Gaertn (Verbenaceae), and Leucas aspera Spr. (Lamiaceae), which showed anti-MCV and anti-HSV activities at a concentration as low as 0.4 µg/mL. In some cases the activities were enhanced by light, suggesting the presence of photosensitizers. Some of these antiviral activities could contribute to the medicinal properties of the plants, and also provide more support for the concept of scientific validation of traditional plant medicines in the fight against infectious diseases

http://www.find-health-articles.com/rec_pu...in-isolated.htm

A SYSTEMIC ANTIVIRAL RESISTANCE-INDUCING PROTEIN ISOLATED FROM CLERODENDRUM INERME GAERTN. IS A POLYNUCLEOTIDE :

ADENOSINE GLYCOSIDASE (RIBOSOME-INACT IVATING PROTEIN)

Two systemic antiviral resistance-inducing proteins, CIP-29 and CIP-34, isolated from Clerodendrum inerme Gaertn. leaves, were tested for ribosome-inactivating properties. It was found that CIP-29 has the characteristics of a polynucleotide:adenosine glycosidase (ribosome-inactivating protein), in that it inhibits protein synthesis both in cell-free systems and, at higher concentrations, in cells, and releases adenine from ribosomes, RNA, poly(A) and DNA. As compared with other known RIPs, CIP-29 deadenylates DNA at a high rate, and induces systemic antiviral resistance in susceptible plants.

Kim,

I looked up this herb, and its more like medicine than a supplement. It has antimicrobial, antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Like an antibiotic and probiotic together. It helps asthma, diabetes, psoriasis and many other illnesses. Its one more documented case where tics were eliminated by treating the body for something infectious. One more documented case where tics were eliminated by treating the immune system. I cannot read the full article and I am curiuos as to why since tics do go into remission on their own at times, that the medical journal published this based off of one case. I am asasuming there must be evidence to support the claim the herb stopped the tics.

I have tried to find the extract but am finding it almost impossible. I looked up ayurvedic herbals but it doesn't appear to be sold anywhere??? Any ideas? If you look at studies of this herb it is well documented by scientists in regards to its medicinal properties and its potential future drug use.

Nevegiveup,

Its one more documented case where tics were eliminated by treating the body for something infectious. One more documented case where tics were eliminated by treating the immune system.
That was my thought too.

I am curiuos as to why since tics do go into remission on their own at times, that the medical journal published this based off of one case. I am asasuming there must be evidence to support the claim the herb stopped the tics.

If you look at the original abstract, it says they were trying "mulitple anti-tic therapeis," so someone was treating her. It wasn't working. I'm wondering if it was her family or some type of medical practioner who tried the Clerodendrium inerme? In any case, someone found the evidence of improvement striking enough to document it.

I have tried to find the extract but am finding it almost impossible. I looked up ayurvedic herbals but it doesn't appear to be sold anywhere??? Any ideas

These guys were from INdia and they had to go out and collect it for their study, I doubt it's commercially available.

Plant Material Clerodendron inerme (L.) Gaertn was collected in and around Chidambaram and Cuddalore, TamilNadu, India. Dr. R. Panneer Selvam, Botanist, Department of Botany, Annamalai University verified the identity of the plant and a voucher specimen was also deposited in the Department of Botany,Annamalai University. Ethanolic Extract of Clerodendron inerme Leaves The ethanolic extract of Clerodendron inerme leaves was prepared according to the method ofHossaine/a/. (1992). Five hundred gram of fresh leaves oí Clerodendron inerme leaves were dried, powdered and socked in 1500 mL of 95% ethanol overnight. After filtration, the residue obtained wasagain resuspended in equal volume of 95% ethanol for 48 h and filtered again. The above two filtrateswere mixed and the solvents was evaporated in a rotovapour at 40-50°C, under reduced pressure. A14% semisolid light greenish yellow material obtained was stored at 0-4°C until used. A known volume of the residual extract is suspended in distilled water and was orally administered to the animals

• 3 years later...

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2012/284301/

Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative MedicineVolume 2012 (2012), Article ID 284301, 8 pagesdoi:10.1155/2012/284301Research Article

Clerodendrum inerme Leaf Extract Alleviates Animal Behaviors, Hyperlocomotion, and Prepulse Inhibition Disruptions, Mimicking Tourette Syndrome and Schizophrenia

• 5 years later...

Hi there, please join the Facebook group Natural Care for Tics and Tourettes for information on where to purchase either Clerodendrum inerme plants or the homeopathic remedy Clerodendrum inerme.  Thanks to information gathered from this site A.C.N. we have made great progress in finding lots more about this plant. Many of us have tried it as fresh green juice, dehydrated and encapsulated or as the homeopathic remedy.  We have found it does ameliorate Tourette's, tic disorders and associated comorbids very considerately. 

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, pug said:

HI Joyle,

I live in Melbourne, Australia and would be very interested in finding out where do I get the clerodandrum for my 12 yo.

regards,

Hi Pug

There are also some threads on our TS/Tics forum that discuss this:

Here is one of the more recent ones that may be of help to you.

Thanks Chemar, I really appreciate your prompt response, I checked the thread yesterday but couldn’t really find any clue about where to find the plant.Scanned various health food shops in Melbourne, went to few nurseries as well as Bunnings. 

Then went through Joyle’s repose about connecting to the group of Facebook but that seems to be a closed group.

so I am back to the square that where do I find this plant.

Thanks,