ACN Latitudes Forums

Amoxicillin - is it strong enough

Lena_Dmom

Read up on intracellular strep so you have a good understanding of it in case you need to make your case to your physician for switching. Many physicians insist that strep is not resistant to Amoxicillin or penicillin, which is just not the case. These abx may kill the strep in a test tube, but in the body there are different mechanisms that cause these antibiotics to not erradicate the strep.

You mentioned that your child is on 1 tsp, 2x/day. Do you know how many mg of Amoxicillin is in it per tsp (thre are 3 different doses of amox liquid- 200mg/5ml, 250mg/5ml, and 400mg/5ml). I am asking b/c sometimes the treatment dose a child is given is not high enough for strep. It may be for other infections, but not with strep.

Colleen

Hi Colleen,

we got 250 mg/5 ml x 2 day for 30 days... So I think it is pretty mild... I will follow all of your advice in terms of watching him closely and if I see no difference in let's say 2 weeks - I will ask our doctor to switch to a stronger abx. I have read that most use Zithromax (azithromycin) so I think that's probably what I'll ask for.

Thank you!

Lena

• 8 years later...

Hello everyone.  My son is 10, he was diagnosed with Pandas when he was 6-1/2.  He has been on anti-anxiety / anti-depressant and anti-psychotic for three years now.  We finally found a doctor that treats Pandas.  He started him on 1500 mg of amoxicillan a day.  He has been on this dose for three months now.  My son says that he doesn't have the obtrusive thoughts any longer.  

I've weened him down to 1/2 the dose of the anti-psychotic.  I can't wait for him to get off all this other medication.

Has anyone elses child been on these other meds?  How did you ween off and when did you ween off?