ACN Latitudes Forums

It's me, Faith....

faith

hiya

This is a bit off the topic, but is a question about the Bonnie Grimaldi supplements Carolyn mentioned in the above post.

I recently tried my dd on Bonnies TS plus range, but had to take her off them after just a couple of days due to stomach cramps and loose bowel motions......I was easing her onto them and she was only on one capsule a day (my intention was to increase gradually up to a dose of 10 capsules) ....was wondering is this was an issue for anyone else with them? Im a bit gutted to have to open my pantry and see them sitting there every morning, not being used!

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

chap,

Could you update what happened with Bontech vits? Have you given it another try?

Faith

Hey Faith,

Ive just been reading your most recent post, and really feel for you. In July I gave Acetyl L Cartinine a go with my daughter following advice off this board, because of a vocal that had lasted +30 days of chronic waxing. Its still there, but much reduced now, but to tell the truth I have no idea if it was the cartinine that calmed it down, or just luck....!? We stopped the ALC when the tics reduced.

My 7 yr old has had vocals since age 4.

Basically what happened with the BG vits is I gave them a try. She took one tablet per day (I was trying to work her up to the full dose) but her little tum couldnt seem to handle it. Similarly, every time I try magnesium , even in low doses, she gets tummy cramps and lots of visits to the toilet! I gave up after about 4 days.

Its interesting what you said about corn syrup-would an ingrediant listed as 'corn sugar' have the same effect do you think?

good luck!

chap,

yes, I'd say corn sugar is what they make corn syrup from. ... corn sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, invert sugar, dextrose, ........ i could go on.

chap, when you tried the carnitine, did it increase at all at first? how many days would you say before you felt it reduced the vocal? how many mg? I gave one 500 mg. capsule for two days and he was actually a little quieter, but on the third day he seemed to start up again, loud and added a new type sound which was more forceful and more obvious , (didn't know if it was some cookie I gave him with QBHT listed on the ingredients or the carnitine, so i didn't give the carnitine that day, but then I took a chance and gave another one the next day to see. still going, so I didn't give any more. He has continued this sound ever since and its been four weeks.

:) Faith

hey faith

yep, I read up on corn stuff and have got a better understanding now. I gave my girl a throat lozenge last night that had corn sugar in it and noticed an immediate increase in tics......so another ingrediant for me to watch for!

Sorry i cant be of much help re the ALC.......she took one 500mg tab per day for about 25 days. Her tics were already at their peak when we commenced was taking the ALC (they couldn't of got much worse!), but no, I certainly didnt feel that the ALC made them increase. In saying that, Im not convinced that it decreased them either. I'd definantly use it again if there is another major wax, but not with any great conviction! Shes off it now as things have calmed down (although still there, the frequency is more managable).

good luck.

Michael,

It's not a typical allergy that we have, but I have seen over time that especially high fructose corn syrup is pretty rough on him if we overdo it. He did test Igg sensitive to corn about two years ago, so that is how I got started on eliminating the corn stuff (anything having to do with corn, with corn syrup being the most evil) and the head shake/bobbing that he had going on at the time did subside within a week and then died down after about two. So I have always been diligent about this ingredient, however over time, not so easy with an 8-9-10 year old boy, so there has been alot of exposure over time, try as I might, and I eventually pay for it. There's about 150 alias names for it, so you must apply for a investigator's license. Here's a good site:

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

So yes, I think we are all in agreement that high fructose corn syrup is a major trigger for TS, but I guess everyone's tolerance level is different. My son does not react immediately, but I can just tell when we are overdoing it. How I wish it was the ONLY force to be reckoned with, but its just one of the exacerbators.

do you think you consume alot of products with corn syrups, or do you watch the processed and artificials as well?

Faith

Faith,

At home we avoid the artificial stuff pretty much, and avoid processed to a point (but do use things like whole grain rice pasta and canned beans), and I am guessing I don't get any corn syrups at home, or at least very very little. Restaurants, who knows, and I always wonder about when I feel worse from a restaurant, it can be so many different things going on there as to why.

For a while there, I was eating a lot of corn flour, but have stopped that as I was battling candida (still am really, but making progress) and someone posted here about mold in corn flour. Of course, whole corn flour will have whatever corn sugars are part of the kernel. I have just started eating whole corn again, but only 1/4 cup at a time per doctor's advice. It is one of my favorites. Again, it will have corn sugar as part of the kernel.

I guess I'm hoping to eventually be able to consider corn a normal food I can eat, maybe even some corn chips here and there. Is it just the highly refined processed corn sugar that is the problem? On the restaurants, it would be interesting to know what the problem is, but figuring it out isn't too likely, and then I'd probably still go anyway.

Michael

• 1 month later...
I recently tried my dd on Bonnies TS plus range, but had to take her off them after just a couple of days due to stomach cramps and loose bowel motions

That's funny. I've had exactly those symptoms with several different treatments. The first ever time was with a gluten and casein free diet. That one was horrendous! Up in the middle of the night, every night for a week, with either howling cramps or, er, the other thing, or both. This is supposed to be a good sign as it means you are getting opiate compounds out of your system, so the diet will work as soon as you've finished that stage - they call it the withdrawal phase. The funny thing was, the symptoms did go away after a while, but it never did all that much for the OCD! I kept up the diet for about six months, then gave up.

Then I had exactly the same thing while taking SAMe. Not immediately, but after I'd been taking it for a few days. I stopped taking that pretty sharpish. It did seem to help slightly, but honestly!

And I've had it just recently, too, after a few days of taking St. John's Wort regularly. It seems to have gone now, touch wood. I had a brief bout of intrusive thoughts at the same time, but don't know if the two things are connected.

Does this suggest anything to anyone? It's got me baffled.

Wombat140