ACN Latitudes Forums

17 year old boy needs help

hello everyone i am a 17 year old boy with tourette ... i got tics when i was about 9-10 years old ... atfirst it was just shouting and i went and see a doctor it got fine after i ate haloperidol and after that it improved till i dont need medicine and by recent years when i was about 16 years old it got worse

i started to shout and move my body and now i started to hit my computer so now i avoid using computer is it because im in puberty now?thats why my tics are so serious cause i have not fully pass puberty yet ... i still dont have armpit hair .. so i guess im still in puberty and may i ask u all is there any thing to further improve my condition like changing diet or eating soem kind of vitamin which i szee people saying in the forum

my tics now is "abit shouting ,bang computer and pull spectacle ...

welcome Jeremy

puberty does seem to be the time when tics are at their highest....appears to be the steroidal hormones that trigger this

my son is 19yo now and had very severe TS tics from 10yo till we started following a careful diet (no junk food or additives like food color, artificial flavor, artificial sweeteners like aspartame/nutrasweet or sucralose/splenda, not high fructose corn syrup, no MSG etc) and added supplements known to help with tics, especially magnesium

there are lots of other things that can also trigger tics, so attempting to eliminate as many of those as possible is helpful. if you start researching thru the forum here you will find a lot of good info

here is a good starting point

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

if you take a look at the link in my signature you will also find the treatments that helped my son

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

dont be shy to keep asking questions here, and hope you find answers that can help you <_<

Welcome Jeremy,

I also have a soon to be 16yo, who for a year was screaming as his vocal tic. He is doing better now with a change in diet. Still has vocals but not screaming anymore. One thing I know is my son's teeth are a huge trigger for him. He has braces now and still does not have all his adult teeth in, so I was wondering if you are getting any wisdom teeth in that could be causing a problem? My son also is a very late bloomer and would have to go days of not showering and play ball every day for him to even have body oder.

Good luck,

CP

hello Jeremy

MSG is a big tic trigger for many so you really would be well served to avoid it if possible

some have reported success with tic tamer, but it is something you would have to try for yourself to know if it works for you

starting with a good magnesium (*not* magnesium oxide!!) and a pure multivitamin/multimineral is a good beginning and then you could gradually add other things that are reported as being helpful, adding them one at a time to be sure you react well to them

my son likes the "Natural Calm" brand of ionic magnesium citrate at night, as well as soaking in epsom salts baths (magnesium sulfate)

He takes the Jarrow MultiFood powdered multivitamin/mineral and mixes it as a smoothie each morning

400-500mg is what is generally recommended for tics in anyone over 100lb weight and over 12 years age

when my son first started on supplements it was recommended he take a combo of mag/cal/zinc, but subsequently he has found it better to take magnesium alone and rely on his diet and multi for the calcium/zinc

if your combo is using magnesium oxide, you are likely not getting enough magnesium as that form is very poorly absorbed

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am so glad you have posted here. I am sure you will be real encouraged by so many people who have found help through doing things naturally. Meaning changing diets and using supplements. Here are some things I wanted to share with you.

I had put together my theory as to what was ultimately going on with my son's tics and why I thought Daniel was reacting to food chemicals a while back. Here is the link http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...mp;hl=sulfation and also some follow up links to this post http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...Carolyn+N\ and also http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...hl=Carolyn%5C.N .

We have been dealing with tics with my son since he was 3. I have posted on here many times about all the supplements he is on. The only thing I can say is he is almost 9 and pretty much tic free now. He is heading into the peak time for tics for his age and with all of the supplements and diet change I truly believe his intestional track and liver are getting what they need now to help process out what he could not do by himself prior which was food chemicals (MSG, food dyes, high fructose corn syrup). It takes time for the body to heal once on the right supplements. So don't at all give in realize that you are on the right track.

B6 has been a HUGE part of what helps Daniel. He gets anywhere from 50 mg's to 100 mg's a day. He get the 50 mg's from Bonnie Grimaldi's vitamins TS-Plus. Anyway when Daniel's tics get going I always give him an additional 50 mg's.

Speaking of the TS-Plus vitamin for Daniel it has helped him so much. He has been on it since he was 5. I did not realize how much it was helping him until I tried switching to a different product and within a month his tics came back full force. Another time I tried cutting his dose in half, just to save some money, and he seemed fine for a while. Then again I think his body became depleted of the vitamins and minerals, from not getting enough, and the tics have came back. So I realized I could not "cheat" and try to save money. He is on the recommended dose for his wieght now and doing great. It is an expensive product but well worth it. The biggest pain is it is so many vitamins for him to take but it is such a part of his life and he realizes now the benefit of the vitamins which makes it so much easier.

Another thing that has been sooo helpful too is Glycine. Glycine helps the neurotransmitters run more smoothly. He gets anywhere from 2500 mg's to 5000 mg's a day. When he is has really bad tics I give him 10,000 mg's for several days in a row. I use Carlson brand glycine.

Another product that he takes that has been really good for him is NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine). I buy the Vitamin Shoppe brand generic form. He currently is on 600 mg's a day along with 1,000 mg's of vitamin C a day. The vitamin C is helpful when taking NAC to help prevent kidney stones from building up from what I have read. Although my doctor told me this really is not too great of a concern. But the NAC helps the body remove chemical toxins and other toxins from the body. It supplements the liver. The vitamin C is important one way or another for many reasons. But one primary reason is to lower histamine levels.

Back to the NAC I know of at least 2 other people on the forum who had really good success with the NAC. It certainly would be something to run by your doctor.

Have you tried giving her Benadryl or some other anti-histamine to see if her tics reduce? I know I and many others have seen a reduction in tics with Benadryl. Some people, however, will have an increase in tics when taking it but not for most. My thought is if you see a reduction in tics you know that her histamine levels are elevated which more then likely they are elevated one way or another.

The other thing that really helps is taking Epsom Salts baths. Use 2 cups of epsom salts in a bath and soak at least 20 minutes. I noticed with my son that I don't see a sudden reduction in tics after the bath it is usually a couple hours later.

I hope this helps some. Don't get discouraged. I have read way to many testomonies of people that once they figure out their triggers (perhaps it is food chemical, dairy products, wheat, environmental chemcials like scented candles, new carpet, chlorine etc.) and get the right supplements their tics greatly are reduced. Your body is sending you a signal and now the detective work starts. One thing I did with my son is I kept food journals of what he ate. I would rate his tics that day (I would break up the day by morning and night) and assign a number from 1 to 10. I cannot tell you how much this helped me. Within a few months I started seeing the pattern of what was causing his tics.

Have a great day and I pray you find answers real soon.

Carolyn N.

Are you able to get b6 vitamin? That has been really helpful to my son. He is 60 pounds and almost 9. I give him 50 mg's a day of B6. When his tics really get going I give him an additional 50 mg's of b6. He also takes a lot of other B vitamins that are in the TS-Plus. But I know that B6 is fairly inexpensive and I would hope they sell it where you live.

Carolyn