ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS Symptom of feeling you are being watched?

I was wondering if any of your children with PANDAS reports feeling scared when alone, as if someone is watching you. My niece with PANDAS recently reported that when she is alone, she feels scared that someone is watching her. She says it feels "creepy and scary". She does not seem to have any other paranoid type syptoms- does not feel people are talking about her or out to get her, just watching her. She is definitely having a flareup of symptoms, but this one is a new one and very concerning to us.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

Colleen

Our dd9 says "that's exactly what I was feeling. I didn't want to be alone because it felt like someone was watching me and I felt like they wouldn't if you [mom or dad] was there." She explained it's like the back of your neck can feel eyes on it. It's that creepy feeling that something is out there.

She later said that during the worst exacerbation she thought it was ghosts watching her and had seen ghosts coming out of the tap -- we think that was an occular migraine from the description. She was definitely seeing things.

She was also scared of spiders at night because she felt watched and once saw a spider so then thought it was watching her. She said it didn't make sense but she couldn't get "not scared". Bottom line she really wanted someone else with her so she didn't feel watched. I should mention this only happened for her at night -- for some reason during the day, she didn't feel watched. She likes spiders by day, but not at night.

By the way, there were places where she felt safe (like her bed) where she didn't feel watched so could be alone. However, getting to the safe spots was a big deal. There were a lot of weird comments that the above explains -- she'd say things like "I want to be alone, but you have to be here." The contradictions were funny at face value, but she was truly terrified and was quite serious.

Regards,

Buster

I was wondering if any of your children with PANDAS reports feeling scared when alone, as if someone is watching you. My niece with PANDAS recently reported that when she is alone, she feels scared that someone is watching her. She says it feels "creepy and scary". She does not seem to have any other paranoid type syptoms- does not feel people are talking about her or out to get her, just watching her. She is definitely having a flareup of symptoms, but this one is a new one and very concerning to us.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated!

Colleen

Thanks for your responses.

I asked my daughter and she also remembers when she was younger having those feelings intermittently. She still, after exactly two years ago today (I remember the exact date that the intrusive thoughts began b/c she was starting middle school), will NOT sleep in her room alone.....

It is definitely night time anxiety, that fortunately is not occuring during the day so much anymore. That is one symptom that will just not go away. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst PANDAS symptoms) she is a 2 right now. Over the past two years she has gone as high as an 8, but even at a 2 she won't sleep alone. She can sleep away from home, but I attribute that to the fact that when she is away from home she is either at a sleepover or at Grandma's and at both places she has someone sleeping in the room with her.

I am thinking about starting her back on inositol as that has been helpful in the past. She has also been on Zithromax 250/day since Oct. 2008.

Colleen