ACN Latitudes Forums

Bingo - stopped ticcing for now.

Hello all - For as long as I live I don't think I will ever understand the ups and downs of this disease. The last week I have been stressing because Monday is the start of school and Thomas has been ticcing to beat the band. I kind of thought that he might be getting a virus just because several of the neighborhood kids had the cold thing going on. The virus finally produced other symptoms such as a sinus headache yesterday. I have given him 2 doses of Motrin for the headache plus a nasal decongestant and bingo No Tics for almost 24 hours !! I can't believe it. Praise God ! I just wish someone could explain to me how he can go from wild arm swinging, shoulder shrugging, head flipping tics one day to none the next.

Has anyone seen any similar reactions after using OTC Motrin Jr. ?

I have my apointment with my Peds Neuro next week. Surely she will think this is a sign of PANDAS. Do TS kids turn off and on this quickly like this ? But....lets see what happens tommorrow.

Thanks for all the help and support I get from this group

It definitely could be the Motrin (Ibuprofen, Advil). My dd gets 200mg Ibuprofen daily b/c we discovered over a year ago that the Ibuprofen helps her PANDAS symptoms. We stopped for a while (as she was over the worst of her symptoms and we were worried about long term use) but the immunologist thought 200mg (she's about 55 pounds) once daily would be a safe (long term) dose, so we put her back on a few months ago. Of course, short term we could go higher.

We think it decreases some inflammation in her brain. It's definitely not a cure, but it is a relatively easy and safe thing to do if it does help with symptoms!

BTW, I'm not sure if the nasal decongestent did anything. We haven't tried that one. But you never know...

When my son had a cold, his OCD kicked up. I gave him dye free Ibruprofen and it worked! Like clockwork, on the 5 hour mark the OCD and over emotional state emerged again as the IB wore off. I would give him the Ibruprofen again and w/in a 1/2 hour, the OCD and easy tears stopped. I make sure it's in my cabinet at all times now.

We've also seen an improvement with Ibuprofen. Seems to keep her moods more steady. I've also kept up nightly Benadryl. I stopped for awhile and it seemed like she wasn't sleeping as well which also caused some minor flares. The Benadryl knocks her out.

Hi--I was wondering if he is still on antibiotics? He had a good response to them previously as I remember(?) I am convinced the anti-inflammatory properties of Amox. are keeping my d steady--

That is great he is having a positive response, and before school starts as well!

He is on azith. We switched from Amox to Azith this summer after a bout with Impetigo. Sees to keep that at bay. Motrin (or something) still working. Today is the frist day of school !

Hi--I was wondering if he is still on antibiotics? He had a good response to them previously as I remember(?) I am convinced the anti-inflammatory properties of Amox. are keeping my d steady--

That is great he is having a positive response, and before school starts as well!

If symptoms are breaking through--(so to speak) I (personally:) would try upping the antibiotics to full strength and see if that helps--

All the best--

T.Mom

He is on azith. We switched from Amox to Azith this summer after a bout with Impetigo. Sees to keep that at bay. Motrin (or something) still working. Today is the frist day of school !