ACN Latitudes Forums

What is difference between 5-htp, GABA?

kimwal

Hi kimwal

GABA( Gamma Aminobutyric Acid) is best known as a stress reliever and anti anxiety supplement

here is a good link for info on it

http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/subs...5,10027,00.html

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that is the intermediate step between tryptophan and the important brain chemical serotonin.

Increasing seratonin levels helps to combat depression, and also seems to ease the symptoms of OCD

here is a good link for info on 5HTP

http://community.healthgate.com/GetContent...d=/tnp/pg000141

hope that helps you with the info you need.

If not, let me know as i have lots more links for them

:)

I have, but only with our physician's approval and only because my son is not on any medications. They work differently and so compliment each other rather than accentuating.....also, my son takes the lowest doses of each.

Kim, there are people who react negatively even to "natural" products and so my advice to you would be to first run this by your doctor (or someone who is trained in naturopathy)

and start with just ONE (I would suggest the 5HTP at 50mg in the evening) try that for 2 weeks and then, if you still feel it is necessary, add the GABA at minimal dose.

• 3 years later...
I have, but only with our physician's approval and only because my son is not on any medications. They work differently and so compliment each other rather than accentuating.....also, my son takes the lowest doses of each.

Kim, there are people who react negatively even to "natural" products and so my advice to you would be to first run this by your doctor (or someone who is trained in naturopathy)

and start with just ONE (I would suggest the 5HTP at 50mg in the evening) try that for 2 weeks and then, if you still feel it is necessary, add the GABA at minimal dose.

Thanks for providing such a useful information about 5-htp and gaba. Worth reading. Please continue to share useful information with us.