ACN Latitudes Forums

Intrusive Thoughts and Tics

I am brand new to this site, and already elated at finally finding a place where people may be able to help us with our 18 yr. old son. He has had mild tics since the age of 3, I homeschool, so any learning difficulty I noticed, I simply modified through the years, but he has slowly slipped behind academically and I blame myself, thinking he would outgrow it, or find his niche and begin to excel. It continues to be an uphill battle, and I am afraid I have wasted a lot of time. It was just mild and manageable.

However, all of a sudden, about 4 months ago, he confessed to us some horrific things that he had done. With terror and disbelief, we investigated his claims only to find out that the other people that he said were involved did not know anything about it. At the same time of confessing these things his tics have become almost non-stop, and not so mild, with gross motor movements, to the point that I feel embarrassed to take him anywhere with me in public. I have been offered every solution under the sun, but I am realizing that it is very highly likely that monitoring his diet, and supplementing with vitamins may be the way to go, but ..... what about the intrusive thoughts.... he described them so vividly that I had to believe he really believed himself. (Some of our friends are afraid to now be around him because of what he "said" that he did.... how can we prove to them that he is still the sweet boy he has always been. If we eliminate the tics, will it help the intrusive thoughts?..... what is the connection?.... is there a connection?) I am desperate for help.

Hi and welcome tho sorry to hear what brigs you here

yes, for many of our kids there is a connection between intrusive thoughts and tics...for some they have what is known as co morbid OCD.Obsessive Compulsive Behavior can bring about very scary intrusive thoughts and is usually due to a deficiency in serotonin. It is fairly common to have tourette syndrome with tics and OCD. Usually tho the person knows that these are thoughts, albeit that they seem real. from what you have written it seems your son actually believes he did these things as opposed to admitting that he has been plagued by the thoughts only?

there are other disorders that also cause intrusive thoughts(bipolar, schizophrenia etc) and there perhaps the line between what is real and what is imagined may blur more

my son has OCD along with his TS tics and the OCD has always been far more bothersome to him thatn the tics. He has it very well under control with supplement/dietary modification

hope you find answers to help your son.

if you have seen a sudden surge in this,consider looking into PANDAS

eyesonGod, welcome.

Since you are saying "all of a sudden" he's had these intrusive thoughts and his tics are worse right now, you might want to investigate the PANDAS angle. If things have suddenly gotten worse in a short period of time, maybe something has caused the increase. Has he been sick in the past six months or so with a virus or strep throat? Even if you don't think so, he could still be infected. If you don't know of these tests, you should check out the PANDAS forum here for more info and advice.

Faith

Dear EyesonGod--Welcome. I agree with Chemar and Faith that is may be worthwhile to check out the symtoms of a PANDAS diagnosis. The following is a website which is well developed and presents the issues:

http://www.pandasnetwork.org

You might also find it helpful to review Dr. K's website and his PANDAS link:

www.webpediatrics.com

All the best--hold steady.

Hello and welcome to the forum. By the way, I love what you are calling yourself "eyes on God". That is really neat.

Regarding your question the intrusive thoughts and tics are very much interlinked. I have experienced this with my own son. When his tics are high so are the thoughts. I thought I would share with you some of his story. By the way, before I do that I want to tell you I have had OCD since I was a child. Recently I started taking some of the same supplements Daniel, my son, has been on and it has helped a lot. I have also started taking Inositol. That seems to be helping to. Another thing that really helped me is a book called "Brain Lock". It took me a long time, for some reason, to read it but it REALLY helped me understand how to control these unwanted thoughts. I think it would also help you understand OCD better. Although I have to say I completely disagree with the author in the respect of what is the underlying cause of the OCD since I have come to understand the diet/supplement connection.

Here is a post I did a while back that explains some of the other things I have found helpful in controling the OCD. It was a post a woman did calling herself "desperate". You can read my response to her if would like http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2623 .

My son Daniel has had tics since he was 3. He is now 8 and about 56 pounds. The anxiety really started when he was about 4. Through a lot of research and prayer we have discovered his triggers for the tics/anxiety which are food chemicals (MSG, food dyes, and high fructose corn syrup) .

I had put together my theory as to what was going on with why I thought Daniel was reacting with these food chemicals back in January. Here is the link http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2946 . Here are some follow up posts to that posting http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...Carolyn+N\ and http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...hl=Carolyn%5C.N .

A while back I started Daniel on something called the N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC). I was trying to save money so I cut back on the TS-Plus (Bonnie Grimaldi's multivitamin for Tourettes/OCD). The key ingredients in this multi B vitamins and Magenisium Taurate. Anyhow, I cut back from 12 to 6. I also had cut out something called Glycine that had helped him so much prior. Glycine helps balance out your neurotransmitters. But again for money reasons I was trying to cut back. But I have to tell you what happened and you will see I found out I cannot cheat his body so to speak.

Daniel was doing amazingly well through the summer. I noticed literally no tics and his anxiety was low we were allowing him a lot more liberal diet then before. No MSG up to this point but allowing him to have food dyes and high fructose corn syrup in small amounts. Amounts that before certainly would have set him off. But he was doing great.

Well no comes the month of September. We went camping and he had a lot of "junky stuff" that weekend still no tics. I am thinking wow this is great we really found the right answer for him and his tics/anxiety!!! So that weekend we went to Dairy Queen. Remember I had allowed no MSG up to this point. I thought ok this is the time I am going to test him. I allowed him to have 1/2 a chicken nugget with MSG. Yes just 1/2. On the way home his eyes started to bother him. Which it consistently has in the past with MSG. Within 48 hours he was having horrible anxiety. To the point I really did not know what to do. I am seriously not joking it was 1/2 a chicken nugget that set this whole thing into motion. He was having a bad head shaking tic too.

I then started thinking what has happened. How can a boy be that thrown by 1/2 a chicken nugget? After thinking about it for several weeks this is what I really believe had happened. I cannot prove it but it really is what makes sense to me. I also ran it by my Natupathic doctor and he agreed with me.

So what I think happened with Daniel went something like this. He eats the 1/2 a chicken nugget, his body cannot process it with the enzymes he is naturally lacking in, there is a build up of free glutamate, the free glutamate caused an increase in the neurotransmitters (dopamine ultimately), his sulfation system of his liver cannot keep up with what is going on with processing the toxins and the excessive neurotransmitters, his body that had been drained of magnesium taurate over the months of not getting enough could not help calm his system nor help process out the free glutamte from the MSG. This may be very elementary but this is my basic understanding.

I don't know if you realize this but magnesium is needed in so many functions of our body. So it is very easy to drain the body including when we eat chemical foods, foods we are allergic to, and when we get stressed or excited. What happened in Daniel's case is he must have been on the tipping point back in September with his body not having what it needed since I had backed off on it months prior. It just set off a whole chain of reactions.

It was interesting that prior to him going on the TS-Plus and additional magnesium taurate supplement, two years ago, he would grind his teeth horrible at night. After he was on the magnesium for the first couple months all this came to an end. Well after the chicken nugget episode the teeth grinding came back. I had read articles on the Internet with this being a sign of magnseium deficiency so all this fit the picture of his body getting depleted again.

But what I have learned is at that time he needed to go back on the enzymes for breaking down protein. By having the enzymes help break down the proteins it is less taxing on his intestinal system. Some people just simply lack or are naturally low on certain enzymes. There are many, many types of enzymes in our bodies. Certain enzymes help break down certain types of foods. MSG for example needs an enzyme called diamine oxidase (this one is not one you cannot buy as a digestive enzyme unfortunately) and another one called phenolsulfotransferase. I am convinced Daniel is severely low in these enzymes. Here is a really good article I found on people who are Chemcially Sensitivity to foods and why they are. Also what you can do to help a person who is sensitive to chemcial foods. http://www.diet-and-health.net/Diseases/Ch...lAllergies.html .

One thing I learned and I have not followed through on any reading of this is over 80% of people who are sensitive to chemical foods has a chromium deficiency. What this means I really do not know but it is something I want ot explore.

Ok, on with my story, I now have a boy who is basically afraid to death to go to school. Daniel is convinced a boy in his class is going to kill someone because this boy is in class is somewhat erratic. His tics are now back in a fairly high level and I am completely panicked myself.

Within a few weeks I was able to get into the Naturopathic doctors. I am going to share with you what did amazing things to get his tics under control and the anxiety. I don't know what conditions would not allow a person to do this so I would just ask you run it by your doctor first. But my Naturopathic doctor told me to give Daniel 150 mg's of B6 for 3 to 4 days. I divided it up during the day in smaller doses and I even woke him up at midnight to give to him. His anxiety was highest first thing in the morning so the doctor suggested getting some in him in the middle of the night to help alleviate. I had to consider how much B6 he was getting in his multi-vitamin so I would empty out some of the B6 in the capsules to make sure he was not getting over the 150 mgs. After the three to four days I was to go back to my normal dose of just over 50 mg's a day.

The other thing I did for him is give him 10,000 mg's of Glycine for eight days. Glycine is an amino acid (again broken down throughout the day and even at midnight). Glycine helps the neurotransmitters run more smooth. After eight days I was to go back to the normal dose of 4600 mg's a day. Like I said earlier I had stopped giving this earlier this year but I realize now how much it was helping him.

All I can tell you is by the third or fourth day of doing this I had a COMPLETELY different child on my hands. I could not believe it. I was so excited. Before I would dread my son waking up in the morning because he was clinging for dear life to me about going to school. Prior to doing this regimen, it was almost to the point where he was so obsessed over this boy at school he was paranoid. He was also getting depressed and did not want to get off the couch at all in the morning to get to school. It was all such a horrible effort. But now the boy did not bother him. Again this was after just 3 to 4 days.

Again I want to caution everyone please run the B6/Glycine treatment by your doctor. My doctor knows all about Daniel's health and what supplements he is taking. There are things he probably did not share with me regarding the side effects because he knew Daniel could handle it. He did tell me with the B6 with that high of a dosage 150 mg's it was a possibility of Daniel getting neuropathy in his hands in feet. He said it would be temporary if it happened. It did not happen. But again it is something to be aware of.

My doctor also told me to give Daniel at least 50 mg's of B6 immediately if he comes in contact with MSG (obviously I would have to calculate how much he already had for the day to make sure he did not go over 150 mg's). He explained to me this is what he does for his patients who get MSG headaches. He said the B6 pushes out the effects of the MSG free glutamate attack.

To recap this is what Daniel is currently taking. I am completely aware with a growing boy, again he is 8 and approaching quickly the peak of tics which is around 10, I may have to change this again in the near future. Daniel again is about 56 pounds.

I have listed where I purchase these items but I am sure you can get them from many different sources on the Internet and just at other retail stores.

He takes 1/2 of these supplements in the morning and the other 1/2 at night. Also note the there may be some of these supplements that certain people with certain health concerns should not take. For example the N-Acetyl-Cystiene (NAC) can be hard on some peoples body, for example someone with kidney issues or diabetics, so you want to do your research and talk to your doctors.*************

* Bonnie Grimaldi's TS-Plus (12 a day (I order these from her from this website http://www.bonniegr.com/ . You have to either call her, e-mail or fax her the order. She is also a very helpful lady).

* additional Magnesium Taurate 250 mg a day. (I buy the brand Cardiovascular Research from the Vitamin Shoppe)

* Glycine 4600 mg a day (I buy the brand Carlson from the Vitamin Shoppe). I mix this in the lemonade brand "Simply Lemonade". It just takes a little to disguise the taste and get it down.

* additional 500 mg of vitamin C a day (I buy American Health Non Acidic with citrus bioflavonoids from the Vitamin Shoppe).

*Omega 3 (Nordic Naturals Junior I buy at the Vitamin Shoppe)

* He was taking but no longer is needing at this point....Dr. Houstons No-Phenol enzyme. I am using about 1 a day. This is to help process artifical food dyes and salicylates. (I buy these through their Internet site http://www.houston-enzymes.com/ )

* Again he was taking but no longer is needing at this point....Dr. Houstons AFP-Peptizyde (to help process proteins and carbs. It also helps improve "gut" health) (about 2 a day) (again I buy them through their internet site)

* Phosphatidylserine (PS-100) 1 capsule 2 x a day (this one my Naturopathic doctor really thinks is beneficial to the brain. He said he has seen tremendous results for all kinds of things with brain function. But it is not an overnight result it takes, I believe up to two months to build in the system. Also it is rather $$$$$. I read it also helps counteract the side effects of MSG to a point). (I buy this through Sprouts and I use a brand called MRM)

* pro-biotic called MindLinx (it also helps with processing gluten and getting the gut healthy). (You can purchase it through this website in either capsules or powder http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/HLC-MindL...S_p_0-1458.html )

*GABA for anxiety 1200 mg's a day. (I buy it through my GABA through my Natuopathic Doctor)

*NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) 1200 mg's a day. Make sure you take high levels of vitamin C while on this product. From what I read it will help reduce the risk of developing kidney stones. (I buy the Vitamin Shoppe brand generic version through their store)

*Apple Cider Vinegar capsules 2 x a day (I buy Natural Factors at Sprouts but I am sure you can buy on the Internet)

*Additonal B6 on a an needed basis. But the TS-Plus has what he needs in it and as long as things are going well I do not need to supplement in any extra. (I buy my B6 in 50 mg' amounts from Vitamin Shoppe and I buy their brand)

So with all this said you can tell I have one very expensive son. We spend at least $150 or more a month on vitamins. I also have a boy who is SICK of vitamins. Who can blame him. But he is starting to understand what it means it if does not take them. The good thing is he swallows the pills so if he is just does it he can get it over with in about 3 minutes.

I am truly trying to figure out where I can cut back on some of these supplements. The problem is Daniel's body just does not detoxifiy correctly. He needs all these things to help the process along. It is very frustrating but it is what it is and we just have to accept it.

I have tried joining a vitamin co-op where you can get these vitamins a lot less expensive. I have been unsuccessful but would love to get involved in one if anyone knows of one that is accepting new people.

I have just found a great website to buy most of the vitamins. It is called Vitacost. Also to save money when the Vitamin Shoppe does there semi-annual sale on their generic brand of vitamins. I think it is in April and September it is buy one get one 1/2 off. Also I have found their website to have better sale prices then the store for some reason.

I just want to encourage you there are absolutely things that can be done for your son. I have no doubt at all. His body is not processing foods or environmental toxins correctly and is lacking in supplements. All this causes a backup of the neurotransmitters. Keep digging for answers. I know through prayer God showed us what to do for my son. I am so grateful for that.

God Bless,

Carolyn

Thank you all, I have hope that I will be able to find help for my son.... but at the same time, I am feeling very overwhelmed with all this wonderful advice...' Where do I begin? Should I just totally eliminate all foods with dyes, MSG and high fructose, and go from there? Some one else had suggested a gluten free diet.... which will take me a while to switch my kitchen and meal prep habits and train my family... and extended family.... (Grandma lives up the street.....) ..... and the other obstacle I am up against is that my 18 year old son... just glares at me when I tell him that we need to try not eating some of these things...and see if it helps... He says he has tics, because it is the only way he can control the intrusive thoughts... I know there are mental exercises that can be learned to combat the intrusive thoughts, but I'm not too sure he would be too keen on that either...... so I guess the place I need to start is getting him to realize that he needs help, and we just need to try..... So.... how do I go about doing that....? HELP!!!!

Dear EyesonGod--Welcome. I agree with Chemar and Faith that is may be worthwhile to check out the symtoms of a PANDAS diagnosis. The following is a website which is well developed and presents the issues:

www.webpediatrics.com

www.webpediatrics.com

I am still trying to figure out how to get around in here, so I hope this is right...... anyway, I just wanted to say, that I am not so sure it is PANDA.... from what I am reading, stress is a great factor in causing the tics to excel. I think that my son is under a lot of stress.... considering the reaction from our friends.... AND.... he just became an adult (according to the govt.) And yet... there are things from his past that may possibly point to PANDA... so, If I were to explore PANDA as a possiblity, should I make an appointment with the Family Physician, or should I come in the back door through the Neurologist? Should I bring along a copy of the article to help them understand what I am asking for , and why.... and do I have the right to simply demand a throat culture? I understand that the culture may come back negative anyway, and then where do I go from there? .... Is it too late? It has been 4 months since this whole thing blew up in our faces.....

• 3 weeks later...

HI eyes on god mom,

wow. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}to you !

How are things going now?

I dont have much time to write here now.....but some thoughts:

1. Do you have a family dr you feel you can easily talk with? If so...that's the starting point for right now.

I dont know much about OCD/schizophrenia/etc....but I think you need to get a good diagnosis of what issues you're facing beyond tics.

2. right now your son feels tics are his COPING MECHANISM against the intrusive thoughts......

so, IMO......getting a handle on what to do RE obtrusive thougths is primary right now.

(E.G: He's NOT going to buy into eliminating his tics....as long as he sees that as his only "defense" against the intrusive thoughts!...KWIM?)

All of the "alternative" treatments are great.....but take "buy in' from the person who has to do them (your son).....and no "silver bullet " quick cure....

If I were in your shoes....I think I"d start out first by finding MD's who :

1. can diagnose the intrusive thought component for you, and put out "traditional" medicine remedy recommendations for you.

I'm really thinking it's in your best interest to just bite the bullet and start with medicines for that because it is so distressing for son and your best chance for some quick relief (hopefully).

SIMULTANEOUSLY........as you seek "traditional" MD advice/treatment......you need to be finding a MD that you feel COMFORTABLE talking wiht, and who will be ACCEPTING and UNDERSTANDING of your desire for natural treatments

2. Research and begin alternative treatments......

however, ....you have to keep in mind, ....he **is*** an adult...and, honestly, he's the one who has to "do" the stuff......so, you are his "resouce" person helping him......but you really cant "force" alot ......

....sigh....(I have boys ages 19, 21, 24...so am familiar....)

Lots of "nutritional" stuff takes time to work...."allergy" treatment can be VERY useful....but again, takes time and energy and COMMITTMENT by the patient....sigh..........

IMO...the whole situation is all HUGELY distressful to you/son right now....

my thought:

find a traditional MD you can TALK well with, and explore traditional treatments first, and then start slowly with alternative ones along with them.....you can always reduce/end the "traditional" ones as alternative ones start helping.....

more later....

PS:

Back in early 1970's...there was something called "orthomolecular" psychiatry......had to do with nutrition as basis for treatment of mental illness.....

not sure what that's morphed into these days.....but would be worth looking into as time allows you.......

{{{{{{{{{{more hugs!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Hi Laurena

OCD is a recognized co-morbid condition with Tourette Syndrome, and recognized as a subtype known as "tourettic OCD"

the tics arent generally a "defense mechanism" against the intrusive thoughts but research has shown they are biologically linked ie the tics trigger the OCD and vice versa and often the 2 "morph"

as many of us here can attest.....going the "traditional" route for OCD and having doctors prescribe medications for it has often done far more harm than good

medication is not always the best or only solution, and coming off the SSRIs that are traditionally prescribed can be a very long nightmare.

also, with PANDAS, a sharp spike in OCD/intrusive thoughts etc is a common first symptom and most traditional MDs dont have a clue about it!

I am still trying to figure out how to get around in here, so I hope this is right...... anyway, I just wanted to say, that I am not so sure it is PANDA.... from what I am reading, stress is a great factor in causing the tics to excel. I think that my son is under a lot of stress.... considering the reaction from our friends.... AND.... he just became an adult (according to the govt.) And yet... there are things from his past that may possibly point to PANDA... so, If I were to explore PANDA as a possiblity, should I make an appointment with the Family Physician, or should I come in the back door through the Neurologist? Should I bring along a copy of the article to help them understand what I am asking for , and why.... and do I have the right to simply demand a throat culture? I understand that the culture may come back negative anyway, and then where do I go from there? .... Is it too late? It has been 4 months since this whole thing blew up in our faces.....

eyesongod, you may want to also post on our PANDAS forum to get answers there

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showforum=17

yes, you do have the right to demand throat culture (not just rapid test) as well as bloodwork

most conventional physicians, especially neurologists, are still pretty clueless re PANDAS, so you will probably have to educate the family doc first, possibly by asking him/her to take a look at the info on PANDAS that you bring them

it may not be PANDAS and if so please dont lost hope

my son's OCD was always the very worst of his symptoms, far more bothersome than his tics alone, and we have had it under control for years now with careful diet and correct supplements. he will soon be 20 and is doing just great...whereas at around 10yo he was so bad that we were told he may need to be institutionalized..... we tried the medications, but they honestly only made things much much worse as he developed drug induced psychosis and a host of other side effects

Once we got him off the meds with a good doctors help. and onto diet and supplement program, with acupuncture, the change became dramatic and things have just gotten better as the years have passed

there is always hope.................

Hi Laurena

OCD is a recognized co-morbid condition with Tourette Syndrome, and recognized as a subtype known as "tourettic OCD"

the tics arent generally a "defense mechanism" against the intrusive thoughts but research has shown they are biologically linked ie the tics trigger the OCD and vice versa and often the 2 "morph"

as many of us here can attest.....going the "traditional" route for OCD and having doctors prescribe medications for it has often done far more harm than good

medication is not always the best or only solution, and coming off the SSRIs that are traditionally prescribed can be a very long nightmare.

also, with PANDAS, a sharp spike in OCD/intrusive thoughts etc is a common first symptom and most traditional MDs dont have a clue about it!

Hi Chemar,

I agree that "traditional" medicine has tons of "down" sides to it.....and I didnt mean to imply alternative therapies wouldnt be good !!

I guess I was responding primarily to her concern RE:

and the other obstacle I am up against is that my 18 year old son... just glares at me when I tell him that we need to try not eating some of these things...and see if it helps... He says he has tics, because it is the only way he can control the intrusive thoughts...
The "down" side to most of the alternative therapies is primarily the energy expenditure in doing so....and, at age 18, it's going to fall hugely onto the son himself to "do" most of these things, and hence to "buy in" to it all.....WANTING to do all of the food elimination/supplements/etc .....(eg: " just glares at me when I tell him that we need to try not eating some of these things..").....

....and so as long as he's thinking that the tics are the "only way he can control the intrusive thoughts" he is clearly not going to be "on board" with making changes to eliminate them.....KWIM? ....I didnt mean to imply that the tics actually WERE helping him control his thoughts.....just that HE thinks they are his primary "coping mechanism" for dealing with the thoughts.....so.....eh....why would would he chose to eliminate his only "coping mechanism" right now? (not that it IS his coping mechanism)....(am I making any more sense?)

ANyway, hopefully she can convince son that diet changes, etc can help relieve the intrusive thoughts, so he will be motivated to change.......

I was fortunate when trying all the diet changes etc with my son...he was a young school age, and, as mother, I was basically "in charge" of all that he ate......but, sigh.....at age 18,....(and with a poor attitude towards diet change, as it sounds from her post...)....sigh......she's got her hands full right there......(((((((hugs!))))))))

I also think you're right in that diagnosis is so important....to be sure that there's not another reason for the thoughts...(although the right diet and nutritional supplements chould really help any condition....)

I (well, we all, I'm sure!) can empathize with her.....it is SOOOOO overwhelming to know where to begin.....the trial and error of it all....the lack of support from medical folks (hopefully that is alot better than it used to be ....I think it is, somewhat anyhow)......

......but then to have to deal with an "adult" son who's not motivated to make changes.........

......very difficult place to be......

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{[[more hugs!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

BEST WISHES!!......

• 2 months later...

I've never heard of tourettic OCD, where can I find out more? What I have isn't OCD and Tourette's, but a weird sort of hybrid. I have complex compulsions which are only necessary in certain circumstances, like OCD. But there is no reason for them, just an irresistible urge, like Tourette's. Does that count? If not, what does it count as?

Wombat140

Hi my name is Eric and I can Completely relate to your son. I am currently 18 and I know what changed my life.

Try No Sugar, it was a big impact on my life.

No milk (has like 15g of sugar)

No bbq, ketchup, peanutbutter, most cerial, prettymuch everything that tastes sweet will have more than 5g of sugar

No Sugar alcohol as well, many sugar free products have it. but it affects me just the same as sugar.

lots of water!