ACN Latitudes Forums

Flax VS Fish

Guest Guest_efgh

Guest Guest_efgh

Hi all

I had been giving flax oil to my son for the past 8 months and flax oil did seem to help him. since two days, I shifted over to fish oil. His tics were hardly noticeable for the past two months but for the past two days, i notice that his tics have increased and he is MORE WIRED and restless. Any one experienced INCREASE in tics due to fish oil?

Also, most of you talk a LOT about Die off reaction , healing crisis etc? Is it true for fish oil also? I feel bad that I had shifted to fish oil when he was doing so well ...Any advice or suggestion - should I put him on flax oil again and stop fish oil? So many changes happened the past two days - he ate a bit of chocolate, watched TV for a while, had a tournament (excitement), and ofcourse the fish oil - so I am unable to narrow down the reason for this sudden change -- your inputs based on your experiences please...

One more thing -

any link between sugar free chewing gums and tics? he took some chewing gums (sugar free) last night ...

thanks

efgh

efgh

sugar free gum probably has an artificial sweetener in it and so would cause increased tics.

I have always preferred flaxseed, borage and evening primrose to fish oil, but, because only the marine lipids contain the full spectrum of EFAs needed, i give my son the combination of all....the fish,flax and borage come in a single capsule and he takes a separate evening primrose.

Some people DO seem to have a reaction to fishoil...either because of allergies or other reactivies and sensitivities....

the real expert on this is Mrs Doubtfyre on brainTalk and you can email or PM her thru her profile there

Hi Efgh,

I totally understand your feeling. My son had same experience (re: fish oil) for couple times. I'm very hesitate to put the fish oil on again this time. Currently, I'm in the same situation as you are. As he's been doing very well last week, after I started B-complex 6 (with high VitB in it) for 2 days, his eye rolling is pretty bad today. I don't know if there is any "die off" reaction by taking fish oil. I did try the fish oil twice (2 -3 days each time) and stopped it twice.

I notice that Mrs Doubtfyre has responded to this question on BrainTalk and has suggested that those who show a reaction to fish oil should take flaxseed plus Evening Primrose oil, which supplies the GLA that fishoil sensitive individuals seem to need. I truly feel that having the Evening Primrose oil in my sons EFA mix is of vital importance.

I have been taking it for many years as it is highly recommended for all women, and especially those who may suffer with PMS

efgh,

This sounds similar to Body Bio's take on fatty acids. We just started giving our son fish oil about 3 weeks ago along with the body bio flax oil. I haven't noticed anything unusual. I don't know if it is a coincidence, but he has been much calmer that past couple of days. Before when we did just the fish oil he kind of seemed even more wired than normal.

Jennifer

I posted this at braintalk and I thought I would add it here as well...

It is interesting that you have noticed a change in your son with fish oil. For about a month I was giving Kurt a essential fatty acid from Learning Factors which has a combination of tuna oil, evening primrose oil, thyme oil and vit E. (I liked this formula specifically because of the evening primrose oil). Kurt did very well on this. We finished the bottle and I had a bottle of Bonnie's ts-PLUS EPA/DHA and it is a marine lipid concentrate (I am assuming this means fish oil) and it is equal to 500 mg Omega-3 Fatty Acids so I thought I would use this up before buying more stuff.

Well, Kurt reacted to it with increased restlessness and he was more difficult behaviorally. I did not notice an increase in tics although I think if I had left him on it longer he might have started ticcing.

Kurt does very well on Bonnie's vitamins. However, a year ago when I was using her vitamins I felt that Kurt was "reacting" to something in them so I stopped giving them. Well now I realize it was not the vitamins but rather the EPA/DHA supplement I was giving.

Within a day or two of stopping the EPA/DHA last week Kurt was doing much better and was calmer. I did wonder if the increase in restlessness etc could have been because Kurt had a cold but right now he still has the cold and his behavior is much better and his tics have not increased and the only change has been stopping the EPA/DHA.

On Friday I discussed this with our naturopath doctor and she did not have a good explanation. I have been interested in this topic lately and have lots more reading to do before I understand it all better.

Ronna

Well, this is certainly an interesting topic. I started taking the fish oil 2-3 weeks ago. I wanted to experiment on myself before giving it to my two daughters. I've been happy with some improvement in my focus (example: remembering where I park the car at the mall, and doing very well with the NY Times crossword puzzle!!); however, lately I have noticed that my tics are worse. I've been wondering what could be causing it, hoping that it was not the fish oil. My diet has been very clean (no artificials) and I've been sleeping well. Those are my two worst triggers, so I didn't know what else it could be.

Now that I've seen this thread on Latitudes, I have to consider the idea that the Fish Oil could be making my tics worse. Bummer.

Guess I'll try the flax oil next.

Thanks to all for sharing. My girls will be happy that they won't be getting any fish oil!!

Jeff

Hi Jeff

dont forget to include the Evening primrose and if possible, the Borage Oil too.....flaxseed oil alone just doesnt seem to fully provide what is needed in the EFA spectrum, and, if you are sensitive to the Fish oil, your system NEEDS the GLA that Evening Primrose provides.

:)

Jeff,

I take evening primrose oil myself and notice really good benefits. My son reacts to fish oil but does well with a combination of evening primrose oil, tuna oil, tyme oil and vit E. It takes a while to find the right combination.

Ronna

Guest Guest_efgh

Thanks for SO MANY responses to my query. I stopped fish oil yesterday and started my son on flax oil. Dont know if its a coincidence - he seems much calmer and less restless after that..

Chemar, isn't evening primrose oil omega 6?

Jennifer, that is interesting - what do you think is the reason that fish oil works better for your son now?

Ronnas - what is tuna oil? isn't it similar to EPA?

amazing that so many kids react adversely to fish oil when most of the doctors recommend that...

keep me posted more on this..

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar,

A bit of your advice based on your rich experience ....

As I keep mentioning, my son is doing pretty well with flax oil , multivit/mineral supplement and a B complex. You are aware that his tics increased suddenly after starting fish oil and I am now back to flax oil. He seems better again.. I have read a lot about Evening Primrose oil in your posts and Mrs Doubtfyre's.. I am a bit skeptical about changing anything after the bitter experience that I had with Fish oil. Do you think that I should add Evening primrose along with flax? Assuming FLAX ALONE works, is there any problem otherwise in using only flax? Am I creating any imbalance in the body by NOT adding evening primrose or Vitamin E ??

He has been on flax alone for the past eight months.. Would appreciate your advice and wise suggestion on this..

thanks and sorry to bother you on this..

hi efgh

from my personal experience, your son could ONLY BENEFIT from Evening Primrose oil ( and you too...I have been using it for years...every woman should!)

The main reason why you should now use it IN COMBINATION with the flax is that, based on research, people who are sensitive to fishoil are deficient in GLA...and Evening Primrose Oil is very rich in GLA.

Flaxseed Oil is excellent, but alone it does not supply GLA or the full spectrum of EFAs that your son needs....

I really recommend adding the Evening primrose and, if possible, also the Borage Oil.

I would think his multivit is suppluing enough Vit E

For the record...I also cant take fishoil....it repeats on me(ugh...fishy burps are horrible :) ) and messes my digestion and seems to leave me feeling "odd"......

Guest Guest_efgh

Chemar

Thanks for your WISE reply. Will try adding evening primrose and borage too. Read your interesting info on how ADHD kids did so well just by externally applying borage oil..

good question

may i ask why you decided to switch from flax to fish?

the answer is ....

1) Greed - wanted my son to do even better... :)

2) My naturopath suggested fish oil (he was so positive about its benefits as compared to flax oil)

3) Dr mercola's detailed consistent info on fish oil wherein he says

"Flax is Not the Best Omega-3 Fat" and about Inefficient Conversion of ALA (Flax Oil) To EPA And DHA

http://www.mercola.com/2002/jul/20/adhd.htm

http://www.mercola.com/2003/jan/1/fish_oil.htm

Thank you SO much for your VALUABLE advice.

efgh

Guest Brian

Why is it that you all use fish oil supplements when you could just eat fish. There are many more beneficial substances in fish than just these omega-3 fats. I get the feeling it's not because you are all hardcore vegans, so what gives?