ACN Latitudes Forums

What exactly does rectal strep look like?

Hello,

I have a 2yo and 3 yo and am constantly looking at bums. How do I tell the difference between rectal strep and diaper rash? We were at teh doc yesterday for our follow up from IVIG and the ped believes that both girls have a stomach bug. She thinks it is a stomach bug and not strep but she did say the the symptoms that my PANDAS daughter described were very close to strep symptoms. The only thing she was lacking was a fever. Last night the non PANDAS daughter had what I thought was a diaper rash but now, looking at it in the daylight, how do you know??? Most likely it is just diaper rash, but I am scared to death that it is strep. It is just in the bum region not the front. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks so much!

All I can say is a person can have strep w/o a fever. To rule out diaper rash, try Bodeaux's butt paste. It's awesome and should clear it up if it's a bad rash. Here's a link to rectal strep symtoms. It includes a pic of what rectal strp looks like.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/391.html

With just having IVIG, I think he should just do swab and rule it out anyway.

All I can say is a person can have strep w/o a fever. To rule out diaper rash, try Bodeaux's butt paste. It's awesome and should clear it up if it's a bad rash. Here's a link to rectal strep symtoms. It includes a pic of what rectal strp looks like.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000115/391.html

With just having IVIG, I think he should just do swab and rule it out anyway.

Vickie-

Thanks for the great link!

K-

Oh my gosh! I bet you are just sick at the possiblity that they have strep.

My dd never presents with a fever when she has strep. In fact the last time, all she had was a tummy ache and headache, no sore throat.

I'm really hoping it's just a tummy bug. How is she doing otherwise? Side effects gone?

Sam