ACN Latitudes Forums

strep hiding out somewhere

Three of my children are on Zithromax prophylactically, my youngest is not. They were heavily exposed to strep for a whole week, about a month ago and had a flareup of PANDAS symptoms.

I took my youngest (not on antibiotics) for an upper respiratory culture last week. My NP said his rash was unmistakable for a scarlatinaform rash (he has had many rashes exactly like this one before while having PANDAS symptoms) and agreed to treat him even though the rapid was negative. Just found out that the upper respiratory culture was negative for strep. I KNOW he has or had strep. I am wondering where people have isolated the strep to be when you know your child has it, but cultures are negative. I know where it could be hiding out (sinuses, adenoids, gut, perianal), BUT where have you found it in your child?

Thanks so much!

Colleen

How do you tell/ what happens if strep is hiding out in the gut? Older non pandas daughter had strep in the winter- we had to cut short her antibiotic treatment because of an allergic reaction. She has not been feeling right since (done the whole GI route), but the doctors can't find anything. Could she have strep in the gut? (could this be aggravating pandas dd)

From what I understand, strep can hide just about anywhere in the body. Here's a link to an interesting article:

http://www.adefa.com.br/portal/modules/art...print.php?id=67

I don't know who authored the article -- it looks like it's linked to an autism organization in Brazil.

I always thought that perhaps my daughter's strep was in her sinuses. She has never had a strep throat infection in her life but she does get sinus infections. This article says "Streptococcal infection in the gut can serve as a reservoir to reinfect the sinuses." My daughter has had a lot of gut issues over the years -- in fact, she had chronic colitis.

This article goes on to say, "Xylitol nasal spray will help to eliminate nasal strep, reduce ear infections and has been reported to help with leaky gut, most likely by deceasing the flow of streptococci from the sinuses into the gut."

If anyone has any insight to this, please comment. I'm going to email our ped. gastro, Tim Buie, and see what he says. Very interesting... Thanks for bringing this up, dcmom.

Nancy

How do you tell/ what happens if strep is hiding out in the gut? Older non pandas daughter had strep in the winter- we had to cut short her antibiotic treatment because of an allergic reaction. She has not been feeling right since (done the whole GI route), but the doctors can't find anything. Could she have strep in the gut? (could this be aggravating pandas dd)

As an add-on to my last post, I did a little poking after reading about Xylitol in the article at http://www.adefa.com.br/portal/modules/art...print.php?id=67. It also talks about vitamin C. biotene, and papaya enyzmes as a way to treat strep in the sinuses/gut.

That sinus infections can start from the gut is well-known (wish I knew this before!). Xylitol reportedly has antibiotic activity. Vitamin C of course helps with infection. Biotene claims to contain enzymes that break down debris in the mouth so presumably bacteria can't breed there. Papaya enyzmes break down protein (proteolytic enzymes), which are often suggested for inflammation situations.

So anything that improves the micro-ecology of the gut should help reduce infection elsewhere.

Nancy

From what I understand, strep can hide just about anywhere in the body. Here's a link to an interesting article:

http://www.adefa.com.br/portal/modules/art...print.php?id=67

I don't know who authored the article -- it looks like it's linked to an autism organization in Brazil.

I always thought that perhaps my daughter's strep was in her sinuses. She has never had a strep throat infection in her life but she does get sinus infections. This article says "Streptococcal infection in the gut can serve as a reservoir to reinfect the sinuses." My daughter has had a lot of gut issues over the years -- in fact, she had chronic colitis.

This article goes on to say, "Xylitol nasal spray will help to eliminate nasal strep, reduce ear infections and has been reported to help with leaky gut, most likely by deceasing the flow of streptococci from the sinuses into the gut."

If anyone has any insight to this, please comment. I'm going to email our ped. gastro, Tim Buie, and see what he says. Very interesting... Thanks for bringing this up, dcmom.

Nancy

My friends daughter (teenager) has had tummy aches for about 6 months. She finally took her in for a GI test and it was postive for strep!! So she has strep bacteria in her gut...Sarah

Very interesting. How did they find it there and did she have any symptoms other than a tummy ache--such as constipation??

My friends daughter (teenager) has had tummy aches for about 6 months. She finally took her in for a GI test and it was positive for strep!! So she has strep bacteria in her gut...Sarah

Very interesting. How did they find it there and did she have any symptoms other than a tummy ache--such as constipation??

Can the blood test on ASO level show strep in the gut?