ACN Latitudes Forums

Plasma Ammonia

Has anyone has a blood test for ammonia in the blood/brain? My ds had this done today because his amino acid test (months ago) showed a high level of ammonia in his body. I have never heard of this before. Anyone?

My naturopath also pricked my ds finger and dropped 10 drops of blood onto a film. He then mixed each droplet with a different vile of medicine. He is going to examine each mixture under a microscope to see the interactions and determine A)if my ds has an underlying virus or bacteria and B)which medicine will get rid of it. He said my ds was the first patient he is doing this for as he had just learned about this from some pediatricians and labs in Germany. At this point, I am willing to try anything.

MLA,

I have heard of it and had my kids tested. One was high, but he had eaten prior to the blood draw. I was mainly interested because of the way one child shuns protein (high ammonia levels can indicate a problem with protein metabolism). His level was normal. I have wondered if the level was normal precisely because he consumes so little protein.

If you do a search with the words:

Alpha-Ketoglutaric Acid ammonia autism

or

N acetyl cysteine ammonia autism

you'll get lots of info. My reg Ped seemed alarmed when he looked at the report that showed an elevated reading (until I told him that he had breakfast prior to draw). That is a test result that will get attention from even reg ole Dr.s. It can be a serious problem.

Did you get a recommendation on treatment?