ACN Latitudes Forums

PLEASE HELP! NEED INFO. ASAP!

my daughter's pedi is very reluctant to put her on antibiotics (her strep titers were negative- but we all know that that can happen, and the kid can still have pandas). but the pedi is going by my gut instincts and humoring me, so she said that she'll call a script in for me. the thing is, we've decided to do a short course first to see if it helps at all. if there's no sign of helping, then fine, we did it for no reason. but if there's ANY sign of tics/separation anxiety reducing, then we'll do the full-course of antibiotics. BUT i don't know which one to ask for. she said that there's no known protocol for pandas, and that she'll give me whatever i want. should i go for the 10 days of amoxicillin, OR the 5 days of Zithromax? what do i do?!!!! help please!

Amoxicillin works for some, but it did not at all with my children.

I would most definitely recommend Zithromax, but sometimes it takes a 10 day course. If she has never been on Zithromax and it is strep related, I think you would see an improvement after a few days. The improvement can be slight at first, so just look at all the behaviors and judge it as working if they decrease even a little. If for some reason your doc won't do Zithromax, my second choice would be a cephalosporin (Keflex, Omnicef, Cefdinir). How much does she weigh? Sometimes the dose they are given is not enough, so double check that.

Good luck!

Colleen

I agree with the others...Azith. is the one that really helped us (4th ab we tried). Ditto what Colleen said...hopefully your doc won't skimp on the dose. Also, have you tried Advil? We gave Advil in conjunction with the Azith.

why advil?

they only gave her a 5 day course of zith. if i see any improvement at all, i'll see a neurologist who will give me more antibiotics (the pedi told me). why are so many kids on so many antibiotics? won't this go away? will she definately be on antibiotics for the rest of her childhood or can this go away one time and never come back?

On the why advil...

The theory is that the blood brain barrier opened and some anti-neuronal antibodies are crossing causing the tremor/OCD by interfering with lysogangliosides or causing CaM kinase II. Azithromycin (in addition to slowing the replication of strep) is immunomodulating (shifting the Th2 to Th1 response) and is also anti-inflammatory. Our immunologist thinks that we're probably seeing more the effect of anti-inflammatory rather than the antibiotic traits of azith at this stage.

Of course, if it isn't an open BBB, then it probably isn't helping more than for a headache :-).

Buster

why advil?

they only gave her a 5 day course of zith. if i see any improvement at all, i'll see a neurologist who will give me more antibiotics (the pedi told me). why are so many kids on so many antibiotics? won't this go away? will she definately be on antibiotics for the rest of her childhood or can this go away one time and never come back?