ACN Latitudes Forums

Vaccines

Not all states require the varicella vaccine and some states don't require the booster, yet. The CDC's website says that you do not need the booster if you can prove evidence of immunity (titers can show you that). I hate the chicken pox vaccine. I let my oldest get it when she was one. It made her really sick and then she broke out in a horrible case of shingles when she was 10. I have since learned that this happened to a lot of kids who received the vacine. I did not give it to my other 3 kids and they all got chicken pox this past December.

If you choose to exclude your child from immunization and say it is for philosphical or religion reasons, can you pick and choose which ones you don't give or is it an all or none deal? And what exactly are the philosophical reasons? Is it like saying you don't believe your child should have foreign chemicals injected into their body. You believe they should remain natural and organic? I just want to be prepared for any and all questions.

This was the response I got from an autoimmune group when I asked them about vaccines and autoimmune disorders...

"Having an autoimmune disease doesn't mean your child cannot receive any of the vaccines... Autoimmune disease is different from immunodeficency... Most vaccines are "killed", which mean you cannot get the disease from the injection. Having an autoimmune disease does not make you anymore succeptible to "catching" anything from the vaccine... On the contrary, people with autoimmune disease should get the vaccines because when we get sick our immune system powers up to fight the virus or bacteria, but then it doesn't know how to shut off and starts to attack our own cells... Then our symptoms can flare... Hope this sheds some light... "

I live in Virginia and we do not have philosophical exemptions, just medical and religious. I easily got a medical exemption for my oldest. She was fully vaccinated (born in 96), but the medical exempt was to prevent her from getting the MMR booster b/c she had a bad reaction to the first MMR.

My youngest is not in school yet, but for my other 2 children, I did a religious exemption. I gave them the polio vaccine, but I do NOT put that on their records for school b/c it would be harder to justify doing some and not others for religious exemption. I think if you are going to do philosophical or religious, you should not let them know that they have have any, but that is just my opinion.

I totally disagree with the answer you got from the autoimmune group. I think vaccines play a role in causing autoimmune disorders in a lot of people and once you know you have an autoimmune disease, it could only exacerbate it. Again, only my opinion.

Colleen

If you choose to exclude your child from immunization and say it is for philosphical or religion reasons, can you pick and choose which ones you don't give or is it an all or none deal? And what exactly are the philosophical reasons? Is it like saying you don't believe your child should have foreign chemicals injected into their body. You believe they should remain natural and organic? I just want to be prepared for any and all questions.

This was the response I got from an autoimmune group when I asked them about vaccines and autoimmune disorders...

"Having an autoimmune disease doesn't mean your child cannot receive any of the vaccines... Autoimmune disease is different from immunodeficency... Most vaccines are "killed", which mean you cannot get the disease from the injection. Having an autoimmune disease does not make you anymore succeptible to "catching" anything from the vaccine... On the contrary, people with autoimmune disease should get the vaccines because when we get sick our immune system powers up to fight the virus or bacteria, but then it doesn't know how to shut off and starts to attack our own cells... Then our symptoms can flare... Hope this sheds some light... "

Here in AZ we have the philosophical exemption. I've never had to give a reason, just check the box that says philosophical and sign that I agree to keep my child out of school if there is an outbreak of diseases she has not been immunized for.

I live in Virginia and we do not have philosophical exemptions, just medical and religious. I easily got a medical exemption for my oldest. She was fully vaccinated (born in 96), but the medical exempt was to prevent her from getting the MMR booster b/c she had a bad reaction to the first MMR.

My youngest is not in school yet, but for my other 2 children, I did a religious exemption. I gave them the polio vaccine, but I do NOT put that on their records for school b/c it would be harder to justify doing some and not others for religious exemption. I think if you are going to do philosophical or religious, you should not let them know that they have have any, but that is just my opinion.

I totally disagree with the answer you got from the autoimmune group. I think vaccines play a role in causing autoimmune disorders in a lot of people and once you know you have an autoimmune disease, it could only exacerbate it. Again, only my opinion.

Colleen

I want opinions, and I thank you for yours. I didn't agree w/ that response either. It is already in my kids records that they've been vaccinated in the past. I think since I can take the philosophical stand it may be okay that I got them in the past but not in the future.

You said your other kids did get the polio vaccine. Do you plan on getting any others? Does your dr know and understand the real reason for no vaccines & that is why he/she doesn't question you?

Thanks! I feel a little better already. I envisioned the third degree w/ tons of questions as to why I don't believe they should be given. Even if my kids were immunized, I'd probably pull them out of school for an outbreak of anything anyway!

Here in AZ we have the philosophical exemption. I've never had to give a reason, just check the box that says philosophical and sign that I agree to keep my child out of school if there is an outbreak of diseases she has not been immunized for.

Guest asaxon
Susan, If your pediatrician is not on board with PANDAS, you should hire one who is. But in any case, with the exception of West Virginia and Mississippi, a parent can decline to vaccinate his child for religious reasons and, in some states, for "philosophical" reasons as well. What state do you live in?

-asaxon

He is on board with PANDAS, but newly, and he is pretty anti-vaccine, but doing things like spacing them out, giving one at a time, making sure you aren't sick at all...... maybe it will just take a while to work on him.... NC has a religious waiver that I may have to do but that makes me so nervous since I'm basically lying, but of course for my daughter's health I would lie.....

Susan

Without knowing your religious beliefs, I cannot argue with your feeling that you would be "basically lying" if you claimed a religious exemption. However, keep in mind that a person's personal religious beliefs are his own, and often differ from his religion's official doctrine. For example, if a person sincerely believes that Gd's law forbids him from intentionally risking harm to his child, and he also believes that vaccines might pose a risk to his child's health (no doctor will deny that there is at least a small risk even to healthy children), then vaccinating his child would be contrary to his sincerely-held religious beliefs.