ACN Latitudes Forums

antibiotics

Hi,

after starting antibiotics for PANDAS when would should one see reduction in tics or behvior??

Deanna

Doctors will say the child should be back to normal w/in the 10 day course of antibiotics.That is so not the case. Is this your child's first episode? W/ my son's first episode, I noticed reprieves in the behavior around day 7.But it didn't reach it being more him than not him for several weeks. Also, during recovery, you will notice "bumps in the road". That is normal. The neurologist said that is to be expected as the brain heals and not to be concerned, or even call him, uinless it went passed three days of setbacks after seeing improvement.

Now when my son got strep the second time, seeing any improvement or plateauing in symptoms took longer. Our theory is because the first and second bouts of strep were very close. I can't remember the third time.I can always look it up.

Finally, remember every child is different. Even with my son, each episode had different symptoms and different time lines. Just when you think you may kind of know PANDAS, it throws you another curve ball.

Hi Vickie,

This is not his first time but noone has given us a definitive diagnosis of PANDAS his tics were bad in March along with some other things had him cultured and he was positive he has been doing pretty good until about 2 weeks ago--he has a cough though both cultures neg for strept, he has wetted the bed for the last 2 nights and waking during the night. his pediatrician did give me 250mg penvk for 30 days we see Dr. Latimer on the 5th of August--I have an order to increase his topamax but decided not to to see if antibiotics work. Do you think I am doing the right thing in regards to topamax.???

Deanna

I'm not very familiar w/ meds, but I'm sure by tomorrow you'll have tons of posts on this. Wait for moms to put kids to bed, then they'll hit the computer:)

My son, 5, goes through bouts of wetting his bed. It's seems to happen for about 3 nights, then stops out of nowhere. The longest he wet it for was a few months ago.He did it for about a week or two. We were debating bringing him in for a possible bladder infection, UTI, then again, it just stopped. Oddest thing.

Is there anything at all that can be causing a setback? Stress, a new summer class, visitors, a simple cold? You said a cough...that could be a sign of a cold or even allergies. Allergies and a cold make my son setback a little. Not as bad as w/ strep, but noticeable. When it was his allergies, Benadryl helped. After 3 days on it, his behavior stabilized. With the cold, Ibruprofen helped. I even brought him for a strep test when it was only allergies. That one came back neg. It was the only time I was wrong. But thank God I was wrong.

Thanks Vickie,

appreciate the feedback.

Deanna