ACN Latitudes Forums

topamax

Hello,

just wanted to ask for those using Topamax what doseage are you using and the age and weight of your child. The 25mg we have our son on does not seem to be doing the trick i have noticed no side effects so feel ok increasing the dose any feedback would be appreciated. thanks so much , I feel really blessed to have a forum with so many people trying to help each other.

god bless,

Deanna

Hello,

just wanted to ask for those using Topamax what doseage are you using and the age and weight of your child. The 25mg we have our son on does not seem to be doing the trick i have noticed no side effects so feel ok increasing the dose any feedback would be appreciated. thanks so much , I feel really blessed to have a forum with so many people trying to help each other.

god bless,

Deanna

My son takes 45 mg. of Topamax(30mg. at bed, 15mg. in A.M.). He is almost 9 and weighs 70 lbs. He started in November, it took 3-4 weeks to notice a change. He tics mildly on it but we have had a couple weeks here and there where tics are strong. Right now is one on those times. It seems possible allergies and stress are the factors.

thanks my son is going on 10 and weighs 67 pounds--do you use brand or generic>> he could use more based on the dose calculations

Deanna

Deanna

I was wondering the same question. My son is 11 weighs 70 lbs. We started him on 25mg at Christmas time...10 days later went to 50 mg and within the month the tics were pretty much non existant. We started the generic topamax May 18 and within 2 weeks vocal tics started and about a week later some motor tics. Put him back on the real topamax on June 19 and we did change from 2 pills in the evening to one i the morning and 2 in the evening on July 3 for about 2 weeks. He is now back to one morning, one evening...we just wanted to get things moving again for him. Right now things are better, but can't get the vocal to calm down. He barely does any motor tics at all. So I am not sure what changed for him..... I put the blame on the generic topamax...but I could be wrong I figure I will just pay the difference and be on the safe side for now. He still has no visable side efffects from the medicine.

I do have an appt. with a nose, ears and throat doctor to see about a strep test (72 hr kind) and allergy testing, esp. food and also have the paper work to do for a hair analysis and at a nutritionist(with a RN background)...just trying to figure this all out.

HTH

Mary

Topamax- Does anyone know if this works for vocal tics? My son who is 10 tried Keppra, but did not help with the vocals. He has no motor tics, just vocals.

Linda

Well I doubt any ones got a worse vocal tic then danny .We were on Topamax generic 50 mg for about 2 months .saw no change but he also has Aspergers so wether or not that has anything to do with itI dont know .But Im glad we tried it . He did get some word finding issues which made him a little angry which caused anxiety which caused tics.. Hes 15 weighs 130ish hes on another med now doing better but not sure about some side effects I think hes having going to see his neuro at Columbia Presp on wed .If its what I think it is were screwed!! Good luck I know theres alot of people that like the topamax so good luck

melanie

abbe yes I tried the L-cartine and the aceytl l carnitine, didn't seem to do anything...do you know if it takes awhile to kick in, maybe I didn't give it enough time...just hate overwhelming him with pills...he loved it when he only had a multivitamin in the morning and the 2 topamax at supper....now it seems we keep trying things.

Linda I just wonder if it was the generic that caused you not to see a change.... I am on the brand name because our son did great for months on the brand and then they sent me the generic and within 2 weeks vocal, 3 weeks motor. Now he still has a few facial...eyebrows mostly but notice most of it happens when the vocal happens...can't get that one to stop. It is not real loud but i can hear it and it is not constant, he does have some quiet times. Before topamax we had no time when he was not ticcing so I do think it is helping him.

mary

abbe yes I tried the L-cartine and the aceytl l carnitine, didn't seem to do anything...do you know if it takes awhile to kick in, maybe I didn't give it enough time...just hate overwhelming him with pills...he loved it when he only had a multivitamin in the morning and the 2 topamax at supper....now it seems we keep trying things.

Linda I just wonder if it was the generic that caused you not to see a change.... I am on the brand name because our son did great for months on the brand and then they sent me the generic and within 2 weeks vocal, 3 weeks motor. Now he still has a few facial...eyebrows mostly but notice most of it happens when the vocal happens...can't get that one to stop. It is not real loud but i can hear it and it is not constant, he does have some quiet times. Before topamax we had no time when he was not ticcing so I do think it is helping him.

mary

Mary,

Are you talking about Keppra? If so, yes we did the name brand and the reason we stopped it was that he was having hallucinations at night and was getting angry, and the doctor said if that happened, we should stop.

Our son only has the vocals, not the motor tics and I'm wondering if because these drugs are anti-seizure drugs that they may not work for the vocals?

I just don't know about these drugs and what they are doing to our kids, but I need to get him some relief.

Linda

Linda

I meant the topamax...that was the only medicine we ever tried and i hated to do it but we tried so much stuff and he just needed to have a break. He was so happy when he was tic free. I am just hoping the small dosage will be okay for him. We never really had any side effects other than a little sleepy in the evenings, which was okay since he went to bed at a good time :) that wore off though.... When we went on the topamax back in the winter the vocal went awqay along with the motor....but then I wonder if it is just a seasonal thing because last summer was the first he had vocals and again this summer he has them... we will see if they stop again in the end of the year and then we will know it is something else causing it. Could be the pool he swims in---i know chlorine is a trigger or maybe something he is eating, seasonal fruits....

Mary

Linda

Mary,

I did the acetyl l carnitine early on 1 capsule in the morning. 500 mg I think. He was non stop clearing his throat. I stuck with it until it went away and then moved him to one half as maintenance. I never took him of supps while he has been on topamax. I actually increased the b complex at one point because the topamax can rob the body of b vitamins. I now give him one half a b complex in the am and one in the pm. I never found a multi yet and still give everything individually. Hope this helps

abbe

Abbe I have it here, I will try again and stick with it and hope it takes it away...other than that things are good right now....how is your son doing. I am anxious to get the hair analysis done just to see what nutrients my son is missing and just what is going on in his tiny body :)[

I will let you know if it ever stops...do you remember if this took weeks or months for you...just wonder the road I am on...thanks

Mary

quote name=abbe' date='Jul 27 2009, 03:33 PM' post='35383]

Linda

Mary,

I did the acetyl l carnitine early on 1 capsule in the morning. 500 mg I think. He was non stop clearing his throat. I stuck with it until it went away and then moved him to one half as maintenance. I never took him of supps while he has been on topamax. I actually increased the b complex at one point because the topamax can rob the body of b vitamins. I now give him one half a b complex in the am and one in the pm. I never found a multi yet and still give everything individually. Hope this helps

abbe

[quote name='mommyof2' date='Jul 27 2009, 07:23

Mary,

It took less then a week but I was giving him other supps at the same time also so who knows....... Nick is doing very, very well for the most part. He has small setbacks but then I tweak something and he goes back to being tic free. So far lately the tow biggest things to help me were these mold drops and maybe removing soy yogurt....I have to see on that one, thanks and good luck if you need me just hollar

abbe