ACN Latitudes Forums

Klonopin causes tardive dyskenesia?

Guy,

I just Googled "klonopin side effects" and the first hit I got suggests its ability to "induce Tourette's syndrome."

I looked at your link and couldn't believe how many of them quit it cold turkey. I think there was only one who tapered.

Are you taking it? Or is this part of your data base?

I take Klonopin once in a while when my tics (vocal) are bad and am meeting friends and want to control it a bit. Because I take it so infrequently, with one tablet, I can feel the effect right away - it slows my mind that's usually rushing. It does not affect my interaction with friends. But it only lasts about 2 - 2.5 hours for me and the effect wears out. Just wanted to share how I use it.

Guy,

I just Googled "klonopin side effects" and the first hit I got suggests its ability to "induce Tourette's syndrome."

I must be blind because I can't find that. If that's true, that's scary.

I looked at your link and couldn't believe how many of them quit it cold turkey. I think there was only one who tapered.

Are you taking it? Or is this part of your data base?

I have a few pills. I have Ativan (I rarely take it as I'm afraid of benzos) but I have a few Klonopins because I had seen them indicated for tics on multiple sites and asked my neurologist about trying them so he wrote me a script for 14 or something. I've never taken more than 1/2 pill at a time, tho, and I take them less than once a month.

I've never heard of benzos causing tics, TD, or Tourettes before. Does anyone have anymore information about this? Is it only Klonopin or can all the benzos do it?

I take Klonopin once in a while when my tics (vocal) are bad and am meeting friends and want to control it a bit. Because I take it so infrequently, with one tablet, I can feel the effect right away - it slows my mind that's usually rushing. It does not affect my interaction with friends. But it only lasts about 2 - 2.5 hours for me and the effect wears out. Just wanted to share how I use it.

Only 2-2.5 hours? The halflife of Klonopin is like 35 hours!

2-2.5 hours is the amount of time I feel the effect (my brain is slower, though it does not interfere with work or spending time with friends). After that, i start my vocal tics again. The doctor who prescribed it to me had initially mentioned that the effect will last about 7 hours but then when i told him it's much less than that (initially it worked for about 4 hours), then he nodded as if to say, "yes, possible."

I wonder if my vocal tic is THAT BAD.. :wacko:

2-2.5 hours is the amount of time I feel the effect (my brain is slower, though it does not interfere with work or spending time with friends). After that, i start my vocal tics again. The doctor who prescribed it to me had initially mentioned that the effect will last about 7 hours but then when i told him it's much less than that (initially it worked for about 4 hours), then he nodded as if to say, "yes, possible."

I wonder if my vocal tic is THAT BAD.. :wacko:

Could just be your metabolism or individual body chemistry.

People have different reactions to drugs. I know someone for whom pain killers didn't work... I mean like hardcore prescription ones. Last time I talked to him, these scientists wanted to study him to find out why they weren't working.

Guy,

I believe the source was "Drugs.com." It was under "Klonopin/side effects/nervous system."

How are you doing?

Wow you're right, it says a case report suggests Clonazepam may induce Tourette's Syndrome!

Guess I won't be using Klonopin anymore just in case.