ACN Latitudes Forums

Does this sound like OCD?

Ok ... where to start. I feel like it is a possibility that I have OCD. I do have rituals such as spacing hangers, counting steps, color coordination, etc. But all these things are fairly minor and dont really interupt my daily functioning. But something else was recently brought to my attention by my boyfriend. He says that I smother him. Well ok I have these paniced feelings of he is not in love with me anymore, he is going to leave me, or sometimes even that he is going to die. I am consistantly in his face just wanting to get and give affection. Kissing, hugging, and having some sort of contact (ie holding hands). He works out of town 8 days and a time and we live together. Usually he calls at 10 pm everynight. When he doesnt I start to have a panic attack. I try not to call him so I dont "smother" him but I will check that the phone is on the hook and has a dial tone repeatedly. Then when he calls I am angry and aggitated. We fight consistantly about the affection things. Does this sound like I have OCD?

Hi tawny

although only a qualified professional can actually diagnose OCD, yet from what you describe it does seem that you may be exhibiting some of the symptoms of obsession and compulsiveness.

many members have found things like inositol, st john's wort, samE, methionine, 5HTP or tryptophan helpful in naturally elevating their serotonin and so helping with OCD symptoms. none of these should ever be taken with meds tho!!

finding a good cognitive behavioral therapist can also be very helpful

all the best

• 2 weeks later...

the last part you described sounds like the obsessive side to ocd. the intrusive and unwanted mostly morbid thoughts. i have the same problem. i also exhibit the constant hand washing and i line things up. i was diagnosed with ocd but what i was told was that it didnt seem to be too disruptive to my life. you could also have an anxiety disorder. i myself have generalized anxiety disorder and some sort of social anxiety disorder.

anxiety disorders would explain the constant worrying about your boyfriend losing feelings for you, maybe even cheating on you or dying.

i would highly suggest finding someone who can properly diagnose you and give you a path of treatment to follow. i know how hard living with those feelings can be. it's emotionally painful. and no one should have to feel that way.

best of luck