ACN Latitudes Forums

Reaction to a cold/chest infection

We started 250 mg of zith about 2 weeks ago now I think. Things were going along pretty well but, dd7 has caught a cold. It's settled in her chest and she is producing yellow to green mucus. She's a becomming wreck again too. Very emotional, touch sensitive and inappropriate laughter, mocking....

Any suggestions? Do we just keep on with the zith and wait to see what happens? I was supposed to reduce her to 125 mg today. If her chest does not get better soon I'll have to take her back into the doc so he can have a listen. I am surprised at the infection even on the antibiotic. :(

Thanks.....

Susan

The antibiotics will not prevent anything viral...like a cold...but hopefully will prevent any secondary bacterial infection from developing...

And, it is not uncommon that a virus exaserbates the PANDAS symptoms...and sets the whole recovery back to ground zero...it happened with us...

I hope she is doing better by now...

--Lisa

The antibiotics will not prevent anything viral...like a cold...but hopefully will prevent any secondary bacterial infection from developing...

And, it is not uncommon that a virus exaserbates the PANDAS symptoms...and sets the whole recovery back to ground zero...it happened with us...

I hope she is doing better by now...

--Lisa

Thanks Lisa, I'm hoping the antibiotics will help prevent damage to her brain, but I don't know how that works with viruses. Thanks for your post, it is so frusterating and upsetting... I am so worried about when school starts.

Susan

Hi Susan,

is it worth trying full strength antibiotics (especially since with the fear/hearing voices issue) to try to quell possible inflammation?

Perhaps the 250mg a day is a therapeutic dose for your ds weight?--I do not know.

It sounds so hard right now for her--I am so sorry.

Hi Susan,

is it worth trying full strength antibiotics (especially since with the fear/hearing voices issue) to try to quell possible inflammation?

Perhaps the 250mg a day is a therapeutic dose for your ds weight?--I do not know.

Thanks T. Mom.... Is 250mg considered full dose for an almost 8 yr old weighing 65 or so lbs? I thought it was but maybe not?

Thanks!

Susan

Hi Susan,

Thanks T. Mom.... Is 250mg considered full dose for an almost 8 yr old weighing 65 or so lbs? I thought it was but maybe not?

Thanks!

Susan

Hi Susan, Maybe it is, I am sorry I don't know--

I know that my daughter was on the Z-pack, a 5 day prescription of Zithro that was more, when she weighed about 74 lbs.

I would check with a pharmacist, to see what the standard dose is for strep for your daughter's weight perhaps?

Has she had blood work done to ensure there is nothing else going on that could be triggering inflammation?

(may be worth having her vit D levels checked--as these may contribute to neuropsych issues)

I am so sorry you are going through this--

T.

Hi Susan, Maybe it is, I am sorry I don't know--

I know that my daughter was on the Z-pack, a 5 day prescription of Zithro that was more, when she weighed about 74 lbs.

I would check with a pharmacist, to see what the standard dose is for strep for your daughter's weight perhaps?

Has she had blood work done to ensure there is nothing else going on that could be triggering inflammation?

(may be worth having her vit D levels checked--as these may contribute to neuropsych issues)

I am so sorry you are going through this--

T.

She has not had any other testing done recently. I can't remember if we've ever done vit. D.....but I take her on the 27th to an immunologist. I'll see if he can do vit D levels. If not, I know her Ped will do it. I am hoping an immune workup will be helpful. We see our ped neurologist (first time for dd7) but that is not until December! Thank you for your reply!!

Hi Susan-

I just wanted to post that it could possibly be a bacterial infection b/c two of my children who have been on Zithromax since October, recently had ear infections. It could also be viral with you daughter. I would stick with the 250mg right now until whatever it is clears.

Colleen