ACN Latitudes Forums

eyes rolling to the sides

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing an eye rolling to the sides constantly? I started to worry last night because I read about tardative dyskenesia side effects from medicines. He is on a 15 mg dose of Abilify, 20 mg of Celexa and .01 in half of Clonidine. I have read TD can be a side effect from Abilify. I noticed it start on Fathers Day weekend. It does seem to be worse in the evenings when he is tired. He was sick June 5th weekend and has been having an epsiode since. I tried Claritin for allergies but if anything it seemed worse the next day. This time of year has always been bad for his eye tics. I have never seen this kind of weird eye rolling movements though. Should I consult with his neurologist, the eye Dr. or the psychiatrist? It seems like we can never get a break! I have been so worried about the bowel issues and now this! His OT commented on it on Thurs. because it was giving him visual perception trouble during therapy. How do you pinpoint what is causing it, the pool chlorine, the meds, the illness, stress? We have an eye Dr. appointment the 13th and the neuro the 14th should I wait? I did stop the antibiotic last week bacause of the bowel issues. So many things to worry about, I think I'm the one who needs the Celexa.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing an eye rolling to the sides constantly? I started to worry last night because I read about tardative dyskenesia side effects from medicines. He is on a 15 mg dose of Abilify, 20 mg of Celexa and .01 in half of Clonidine. I have read TD can be a side effect from Abilify. I noticed it start on Fathers Day weekend. It does seem to be worse in the evenings when he is tired. He was sick June 5th weekend and has been having an epsiode since. I tried Claritin for allergies but if anything it seemed worse the next day. This time of year has always been bad for his eye tics. I have never seen this kind of weird eye rolling movements though. Should I consult with his neurologist, the eye Dr. or the psychiatrist? It seems like we can never get a break! I have been so worried about the bowel issues and now this! His OT commented on it on Thurs. because it was giving him visual perception trouble during therapy. How do you pinpoint what is causing it, the pool chlorine, the meds, the illness, stress? We have an eye Dr. appointment the 13th and the neuro the 14th should I wait? I did stop the antibiotic last week bacause of the bowel issues. So many things to worry about, I think I'm the one who needs the Celexa.

I'd notify the neuro for sure...eye rolling can be seizure activity. I'm not sure how much the eye doctor will be able to tell you.

My son has had several eye rolling "tics". I don't really know for certain that is what they are but I assume so. He is not on any meds (except prophylactic penicillin VK). He has had one where his eyes were just constantly rolling back into his head with his eyes fully opened, another where his eyes were rolling back into his head but his eyes were only half open, another where his eyes rolled up but sharply to the left (eyes open) and still another where the eyes rolled up but sharply to the right (eyes open). These movements are most certainly disconcerting so I can relate to how you are feeling.

I believe these are tics for my son because we know a little boy who has Tourette's syndrome - and one of his tics is eyes rolling up sharply to the left. My son's episodes always follow an illness of some kind or another - no other triggers yet. These episodes seem to last for about 4 weeks after he is better from the illness. The eye rolling "tics" happened during a couple of his episodes (that also had a lot of chorea and other tics present) and went away as the episode subsided.

Hope that helps a little. Post again if you find out these are not actually tics but some sort of partial seizure. I would be very interested to know!

Thanks

PKM

Some medications can cause nystagmus, an involuntary movement of the eyes. This happened to my daughter last year when we tried Riluzole, a medication commonly used for ALS patients (NIH is using it in clinical trials for OCD). After three months we decided it was not helping her at all and, as we started taking her off it very slowly, she developed nystagmus followed by full-blown tourettes (with both motor and vocal tics). The eye rolling was really bad and it gave her headaches. My daughter was a wreck and so was I. At the time I was concerned about possible TD because she was on Risperdal, but our doctors said no. This was clearly related to the Riluzole, which is a glutamate antagonist. It took months for it to go away, but not until after we started IVIG. I found that stress, dyes, additives, and (of course) elevated strep antibodies all made it much worse. Certainly the chlorine could aggravate it. I would consult with both your psychiatrist and neurologist (your DAN doctor too, if you use one). You might want to check his strep antibodies if you haven't already done so...and consider putting him back on the antibiotics.

Nancy

An eye rolling tic (eyes went from side to side then up and around) was the straw that broke the camels back for me. When I saw this, I freaked out and began to realize that something was seriously wrong with my son. That is when I began my search and found out about PANDAS. This was a very disturbing tic for me to see and I am so glad it is now gone (post IVIG). Dr. K did say that the tics were the last to go. My son still has a slight mouth opening tic. I see it about 3-5 times a day, only on some days. Otherwise he is still doing tremendously well. Tics were not his main symptom.

Pleacse check with all of your doctors! TD is NOT something to play around with! It can be permanent. I don't mean to scare you, but it is serious. You cannot stop medications like this without consulting your dr.b/c it can make a reaction worse (if that is what it is). It may just be a tic, but please be careful and consult with your drs.

The eye roll is just weird to look at. I don't think he knows he is doing it. I agree Chris I am at my last resort also. I will call them all tomorrow and see what each one says. The neuro, the psych and the ped. Also I should have his stool sample back soon since I dropped it off Fri. His moods and tantrums are much better since we added the Pm clonidine. I gave him mirolax today and he had two blow outs so far. I sure hope that helps to get him going again more regular. What a fun summer so far. Not a dull moment.

Pleacse check with all of your doctors! TD is NOT something to play around with! It can be permanent. I don't mean to scare you, but it is serious. You cannot stop medications like this without consulting your dr.b/c it can make a reaction worse (if that is what it is). It may just be a tic, but please be careful and consult with your drs.

Eye rolling was the first tic symptom that we noticed with our son. At first, we thought he was having a seizure because his eyes would briefly roll up and back into his head. It got to the point where you could just about only see the whites of his eyes. We had an EEG ( I think that is the test) and there was no seizure activity. The eye rolling always got worse towards the end of the day when he was tired and it was always bad when he was watching TV. After some period of time, the eye rolling moved to a different tic movement.

Regarding eyes, a year or so after the eye rolling had been replaced by other tic movements, we noticed one of his eyes seemed to be smaller (or open less) than the other. This was accompanied by the fact that his pupils were different sizes. We went to our pediatrician who sent us to to the eye doc. In the end, his vision is fine and there are no issues. At the time, they said a small percent of the population just has pupils that are a different size. Now, I feel it is related to the neurological side of PANDAS because his eyes and pupils are better when the PANDAS symptoms are at a minimum.